Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 08:04 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,229,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Either I'm not understanding you correct, or something isn't quite right in your statement.

You are taxed on your appraised value, not your market value; therefore, if you are not protesting and changing your appraisal value, there is no point and your taxes will always be what they say they are.

Since the appraisal is capped at 10%, they can't raise the appraised value to what they feel your home is worth; therefore, they show you both what they feel your house is worth and what your appraisal, or "tax value", is.
This is your answer...
Quote:
Originally Posted by btj23 View Post
You're protesting your market value, and the goal is to get that as low as you can. If you get it below the appraised value, you save cash-money this year. If you don't, then at least you've reduced the market value. Eventually, the market value will go to sleep for a bit, and the appraised value will catch up to it. If you can keep the market value as low as possible, then there will be years when nothing really increases as far as either value. This happens when they equalize, so the lower the market value, the quicker the values can equalize.

Did you follow that?
Only the Market value can be protested. Only the appraised value is taxed. Confusing, but the way it works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 08:08 PM

536 posts, read 1,062,466 times
Mine's up the full 10% but is still 20% below the HCAD market value. Some of my neighbors clearly didn't get homestead in (some couldn't because they bought last year and some clearly forgot) and they've been screwed by as much as 30%!!

They also haven't added my pool (I didn't realize they listed this until my neighbor asked me if they'd added in my pool) but have for 2 of my neighbors that put them in during 2012. We were trying to figure out what they'd added on for the pools but had nothing to go on.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:13 PM

536 posts, read 1,062,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
This is your answer...

Only the Market value can be protested. Only the appraised value is taxed. Confusing, but the way it works.
But it would only be worth protesting if you can get the market value down to within 10% of (last years) appraised value (or less than appraised value obviously).

There's no limit on the market value so they can put it to whatever they want. It being as low as possible this year doesn't mean they won't jack it up next year and since the appraised value is capped to 10% it's that which matters and arguing your market value every year, unless you can get it within that 10% will have no effect.

Old 03-27-2014, 05:06 AM

69 posts, read 127,873 times
Hi All,
After reading some of the responses, I'm getting a better understanding of how things work, but as a first time homeowner, I need a little more clarity. Can you assist?

I bought my home Feb 2013 in Katy.
I checked HCAD to see value for the current year, and the market/appraised value are up 20% from the prior year!
I just recently completed my Homestead for 2014, and it looks like it has been applied, so why didn't my value just go up 10%?
I also noticed that my neighbors with similar sq footage and style had a 20% increase in their market value and a 10% increase on their appraisal value. They all have the Homestead.

Did I do something wrong regarding the Homestead? Should I have filed for it in 2013 when I bought my home?
To what degree is protesting helpful, if at all, in my case?

Thanks so much for any feedback!

Old 03-27-2014, 05:22 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,130,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseINweeds View Post
Hi All,
After reading some of the responses, I'm getting a better understanding of how things work, but as a first time homeowner, I need a little more clarity. Can you assist?

I bought my home Feb 2013 in Katy.
I checked HCAD to see value for the current year, and the market/appraised value are up 20% from the prior year!
I just recently completed my Homestead for 2014, and it looks like it has been applied, so why didn't my value just go up 10%?
I also noticed that my neighbors with similar sq footage and style had a 20% increase in their market value and a 10% increase on their appraisal value. They all have the Homestead.

Did I do something wrong regarding the Homestead? Should I have filed for it in 2013 when I bought my home?
To what degree is protesting helpful, if at all, in my case?

Thanks so much for any feedback!
You're OK, when you get your tax bill at the end of this year it will take into account your exemption.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:15 AM

103 posts, read 181,496 times
I was under the impression you needed to have one previous year claiming the homestead exemption plus this year to get the capped value?

Old 03-27-2014, 09:40 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,130,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwtomt2day View Post
I was under the impression you needed to have one previous year claiming the homestead exemption plus this year to get the capped value?
Nope

Old 03-27-2014, 09:48 AM

17 posts, read 26,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwtomt2day View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyYot View Post
Nope
I'm pretty sure jwtomt2day is correct. In order for the cap on the increase of the appraisal value to apply you have to have had a homestead exemption both the current year and the previous year.

The year you buy your house the homestead exemption applies to the amount of taxes you pay, but does not protect you from a large increase in the appraised value.

Here is the description of the cap on the HCAD site:
HCAD: Capped Values

Old 03-27-2014, 10:14 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,693,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegoBatman View Post
I'm pretty sure jwtomt2day is correct. In order for the cap on the increase of the appraisal value to apply you have to have had a homestead exemption both the current year and the previous year.
So if I understand correctly, those who bought after Jan 1, 2013 cannot take advantage of the 10% cap.

All I can say is good luck with the protests, and I hope you budgeted for this when you moved. This is only stage 1.

If you're in an area like mine, where the voters approved graduated rate increases for the ISD over several years, good luck even moreso.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:16 AM

103 posts, read 181,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
So if I understand correctly, those who bought after Jan 1, 2013 cannot take advantage of the 10% cap.

All I can say is good luck with the protests, and I hope you budgeted for this when you moved. This is only stage 1.

If you're in an area like mine, where the voters approved graduated rate increases for the ISD over several years, good luck even moreso.
Exactly. After I posted here yesterday I did the math and realized they only raised me 10% but raised my neighbors who bought in 2013 20%...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston