Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 01:13 PM

15 posts, read 31,440 times

Advertisements

We are looking at the Houston area for a possible relo. hubby is in Mortgage and I'm a teacher. We currently live in Wayzata (poor side of town) and would love something with the same small town feel. Anything close to the ocean or is that a dumb idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 01:33 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,914,224 times
Third city you have posted this question in. Look at www.har.com and decide what you like.

Nothing about Wayzata is 'poor'.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:02 PM

Thanks for your warm hospitality.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:06 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,914,224 times
Anytime. Just one former Minneapolis resident helping another.

What went wrong with Boston and Pensacola?

Old 04-02-2014, 02:10 PM

If you were familiar with Wayzata at all, you would know that there are houses on the lake that are about $8 - 20 million. I live in between a duplex and half way house a block off the lake. There is a stereotype that exists and if I say I want to live in a place similar to Wayzata, people will assume we can afford houses over a million dollars. I really want great schools and a small town feel. As for the 3rd city that I've posted this in, you're correct. After considering Boston and comparing our weather, we started focusing on Florida and Texas where there isn't a 10% sales tax and the weather is better. Our jobs allow us flexibility so we wouldn't be tied down to a certain demographic. I wasn't aware that asking for transplants in the area was a problem for their opinion. Real estate only show demographics on paper....not the REAL town.

Old 04-02-2014, 03:36 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,901,219 times
South of Houston is Galveston but that is not the ocean, as in the Atlantic. It's the Gulf and very different. In my opinion, it is not that attractive but some people absolutely love it. Houston is the 4th largest city in America. Narrow down where you want to live (Houston intown, outside the perimeters, etc...) and people will be helpful.

Old 04-02-2014, 04:08 PM

1,559 posts, read 2,369,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post

Me thinks she was being a lil sarcastic. Can't blame her, what was said sounded somewhat rude.

Old 04-02-2014, 04:11 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,142,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Girl View Post
We are looking at the Houston area for a possible relo. hubby is in Mortgage and I'm a teacher. We currently live in Wayzata (poor side of town) and would love something with the same small town feel. Anything close to the ocean or is that a dumb idea?
Galveston, but unless you plan on working on the island that's one hell of commute. I'd look at clear lake.

Old 04-02-2014, 04:13 PM

1,559 posts, read 2,369,924 times
MN girl, Friendswood sounds like a good fit for you. Not too far from the Gulf, small town feel, excellent schools, homes in every price range. Just make sure it is in the actual city of Friendswood. Some homes have a Friendswood address, but not in Friendswood.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:22 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,989,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Girl View Post
If you were familiar with Wayzata at all, you would know that there are houses on the lake that are about $8 - 20 million. I live in between a duplex and half way house a block off the lake. There is a stereotype that exists and if I say I want to live in a place similar to Wayzata, people will assume we can afford houses over a million dollars. I really want great schools and a small town feel. As for the 3rd city that I've posted this in, you're correct. After considering Boston and comparing our weather, we started focusing on Florida and Texas where there isn't a 10% sales tax and the weather is better. Our jobs allow us flexibility so we wouldn't be tied down to a certain demographic. I wasn't aware that asking for transplants in the area was a problem for their opinion. Real estate only show demographics on paper....not the REAL town.

Yeah but median household income isn't exactly "poor"

And when it comes to Houston we like numbers. You say "poor" but what exactly does that mean? What can you afford as far as a house? We have NY people going "omg we're so poor here and can afford $600k on a house! Will we get something decent in Houston?" Uh, yeah a McMansion - 5 bedrooms, 3500sqft+ with a HUGE backyard and a pool in a suburb with pretty great schools if you want to live further from the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston