Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 10:24 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post
And Houston drivers have been aggressive and crazy as hell ever since I got my drivers license around the turn of the century. I'm sure it's worse now, but it's always been survival of the fittest on Houston freeways.

You're either a wolf or a sheep out there. Your choice.
It's been that sort of crazy since I learned how to drive here and have been doing it 20+ years. If you're constantly pissing people off, maybe some self-reflection is in order. As long as you're moving with the flow, people are generally cooperative and it's pretty easy to get around.

What I do see is mostly an increase in northeastern style behavior with the horns. Some new transpants apparently think gridlocked traffic will move faster if you lean on the horn. Just turn up the music, and it doesn't take long for them to figure out it doesn't work, and I've even seen traffic cops tell them to ST.FU.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:29 AM

413 posts, read 1,180,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
It's been that sort of crazy since I learned how to drive here and have been doing it 20+ years. If you're constantly pissing people off, maybe some self-reflection is in order. As long as you're moving with the flow, people are generally cooperative and it's pretty easy to get around.

What I do see is mostly an increase in northeastern style behavior with the horns. Some new transpants apparently think gridlocked traffic will move faster if you lean on the horn. Just turn up the music, and it doesn't take long for them to figure out it doesn't work, and I've even seen traffic cops tell them to ST.FU.
None of the examples I mentioned in the original post are on the freeway.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:33 AM

418 posts, read 742,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuggy_mba View Post
What I meant was out-of-state, which is still not true.
And you say this because you're a transplant from Chicago?

Old 04-04-2014, 11:04 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
People driving 5 under the speed limit on the left lane of the highway sure don't help make people be "more friendly" on the road.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:09 AM

960 posts, read 2,750,531 times
I am sorry that you've encountered a bad day on the road. Of course, there is no excuse for them throwing a childish tantrum out on you and other drivers. Last week, someone cut in my lane within inches on the side of my SUV (I had to brake to avoid collusion). So, he got what he wanted but then he turned into Satan when I flashed my lights. But I didn't even respond to his vile curses and moved on.

It appears that you are trying to be a nice, gentle driver but most Houstonians want you to drive assertively, with tacit respect, and go with the flow. Don't let other people wait for you. Especially, when there are a lot of cars behind you and you've got more car length of space in front of you. It doesn't mean we can never let anyone in front of us, we just have to evaluate who it is. "Is the driver trying to get in front of me going to leave 4 car length of space in front of himself? Is he trying to drive faster? Is he trying to get to the next exit? Is he going to let 10 more cars get in front of him and push me further back in traffic?". If they are going to slow me down, I will try to let them get behind me. The exception is when people are merging onto the freeway.

I have more respect for drivers who use the blinkers and then quickly change into my lane - don't slow down and delay others. You are suppose to speed up when changing lanes, anyway. If you stop on the right lane at the red light, sometimes I will go to the next lane and make a right turn from left lane. I won't say anything but I hope it's a silent lesson learned for the other driver.

And never, ever block other lanes when trying to get to one side of the street, getting out of the parking lot, or at the intersection. No one likes to wait for you when there is a green light and blaring horns. You can straighten out your car to go straight where the green light is, then make a U-turn and go around.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:10 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,148,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekbiker View Post
I see it has gotten worse over the past few years, and I can see it getting even worse in the future.

When I first moved here from northern VA near DC, I thought Houston had much friendlier and more considerate drivers than the DC metro area.

When changing lanes on the freeway, turning on the blinker, they'd actually let you take the lane in front of them (that was then). In DC, you DON'T want to turn on the blinker because if you did, someone would drive up and block you from changing to that lane. It was that bad. Here, it is getting to that point now.

Now I can't say the same, and with all the booming growth and increasing traffic going on now, it's just going to get even worse.
Lol, Houston has never had friendly, considerate drivers. People may be friendly on a every day basis, but once they get in their cars its different story. You have to drive aggressive in Houston or you'll get ran off the road.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:16 AM

725 posts, read 1,241,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike4Life View Post
I am sorry that you've encountered a bad day on the road. Of course, there is no excuse for them throwing a childish tantrum out on you and other drivers. Last week, someone cut in my lane within inches on the side of my SUV (I had to brake to avoid collusion). So, he got what he wanted but then he turned into Satan when I flashed my lights. But I didn't even respond to his vile curses and moved on.

It appears that you are trying to be a nice, gentle driver but most Houstonians want you to drive assertively, with tacit respect, and go with the flow. Don't let other people wait for you. Especially, when there are a lot of cars behind you and you've got more car length of space in front of you. It doesn't mean we can never let anyone in front of us, we just have to evaluate who it is. "Is the driver trying to get in front of me going to leave 4 car length of space in front of himself? Is he trying to drive faster? Is he trying to get to the next exit? Is he going to let 10 more cars get in front of him and push me further back in traffic?". If they are going to slow me down, I will try to let them get behind me. The exception is when people are merging onto the freeway.

I have more respect for drivers who use the blinkers and then quickly change into my lane - don't slow down and delay others. You are suppose to speed up when changing lanes, anyway. If you stop on the right lane at the red light, sometimes I will go to the next lane and make a right turn from left lane. I won't say anything but I hope it's a silent lesson learned for the other driver.

And never, ever block other lanes when trying to get to one side of the street, getting out of the parking lot, or at the intersection. No one likes to wait for you when there is a green light and blaring horns. You can straighten out your car to go straight where the green light is, then make a U-turn and go around.
I agree with this post. I've driven all around the US and Houston has a different style about it. Its very similar to Southern California drivers in my opinion. It's seen as a more desirable trait in a driver to do whatever is reasonably possible to avoid delaying everyone else, than to focus on keeping the speed limit and driving cautiously. It's just the culture of certain places. Other places, (such as here in Northern Virignia) speeders are probably seen as the more undesirable driver and a particularly cautious or slow driver isn't castigated nearly as much (except by me in the cases of left lane dawdlers ).

Old 04-04-2014, 11:20 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,148,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post

Seeing that Texas is a right to carry state, it seems like a bad idea for people to be looking to start confrontations on the roads. There's eve a funny bumper sticker out there about it.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:27 AM

238 posts, read 696,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Lol, Houston has never had friendly, considerate drivers. People may be friendly on a every day basis, but once they get in their cars its different story. You have to drive aggressive in Houston or you'll get ran off the road.
Oh, I do fine here, myself. I've driven in Nova and even in New York City, so those skills gained at those places allow me to survive on Houston roads these days.

I just noticed that when I first moved here, I'd turn on my blinker and people actually let me move into their lane in front of them. That never happens in DC and NYC. You'd have to find a gap and then quickly and assertively get in there without changing the flow of traffic.

By the way, my biggest pet peeve is when 3 cars next to each other in the leftmost 3 lanes of the freeway going 5 under the speed limit.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:34 AM

872 posts, read 828,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike4Life View Post

Andnever, ever block other lanes when trying to get to one side of the street, getting out of the parking lot, or at the intersection. No one likes to wait for you when there is a green light and blaring horns. You can straighten out your car to go straight where the green light is, then make a U-turn and go around.
This is the one that I do not understand. If the right lane is not a turn only lane then what is the problem with someone going straight?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston