Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 11:39 AM

35 posts, read 69,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
You are suppose to speed up when changing lanes, anyway
This.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:43 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
Transplants, Foriegners, cellphones, texting, with a splash of people who grew up learning to drive Mexico.

Houston Driving Cocktail.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:44 AM

35 posts, read 69,268 times
Quote:
This is the one that I do not understand. If the right lane is not a turn only lane then what is the problem with someone going straight?
Like majicdonjuan said above, the driving culture in Houston is to drive in a manner that avoids delaying everyone else. If you're not turning right, why be in the right lane blocking those that will want to turn on red? Especially if the center lanes are clear.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:49 AM

725 posts, read 1,240,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekbiker View Post
Oh, I do fine here, myself. I've driven in Nova and even in New York City, so those skills gained at those places allow me to survive on Houston roads these days.

I just noticed that when I first moved here, I'd turn on my blinker and people actually let me move into their lane in front of them. That never happens in DC and NYC. You'd have to find a gap and then quickly and assertively get in there without changing the flow of traffic.

By the way, my biggest pet peeve is when 3 cars next to each other in the leftmost 3 lanes of the freeway going 5 under the speed limit.
Then you understand my pain in Nova. All I can do is shake my head when I get on the ITB part of I-66 and see these fools riding side by side through Arlington, oblivious to the fact there's a milelong backup of angry drivers behind them, and clear road ahead of them. They don't respond to "get your ***** over" blinks or honks either, they're just completely in their own little worlds. I just can't fathom how anyone thinks that's OK. But I digress...

My hypothesis is this. In Houston, even the surface roads are built and engineered for relatively high speeds, notwithstanding the freeways (which are essentially speedways in many places). In the northeast, most roads are built for lower speeds (with some notable exceptions). Since I live and work in Nova (not in DC) I probably drive the high speed roads more than most around here. And since I learned to drive in Houston and drove there for a long time, I'm comfortable with those higher-speed roads than those who have primarily driven around here. Since those higher speed roads are more the exception and not the rule around here, I think most people are simply just not comfortable driving that fast and don't have as much practice driving on high-speed, wide open roads.

And of course, there's the much more overzealous police as well, but that's another story.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:52 AM

1,011 posts, read 976,202 times
What if they are turning right into the next plaza/gas station after the intersection? Not so cut and dry, is it? You wouldn't want them cutting across from the left lane to turn right into plaza if other cars are going straight from the right lane.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:54 AM

872 posts, read 827,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norman94477 View Post
Like majicdonjuan said above, the driving culture in Houston is to drive in a manner that avoids delaying everyone else. If you're not turning right, why be in the right lane blocking those that will want to turn on red? Especially if the center lanes are clear.
I have been in Houston all of my life, driving for almost 30 years. Generally there are fewer cars turning right at a red light, then going straight. In Houston traffic, the other lanes are rarely clear and avoiding the right lane if you are going straight will back up traffic.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:02 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,098,960 times
People are always in a rush and have to be from point a to point b as fast as one can make it. Doesn't it get old for y'all that drive like this on the daily? It's one reason I've considered moving outta here. I got honked at 3 times in one hour the other day lol. I honestly don't care and don't let it bother me anymore. I have a CDL license and drive for a living somewhat so I consider myself a good driver

This thread has blown up and no one will prob read my response but it's gotten out of hand. I read the first few replies and people here go bonkers when they have be patient in any form or fashion.

it's insane how Impatient people are here and credit the reason my eye twitches a lot bc of the drivers on the road lol. Glad I dont drive everyday 50 miles plus like some here.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:02 PM

Sorry, Bike4life but going into the left lane to make a right in front of the car in the right lane is a douche move. It's not a right turn only lane. Other cars are entitled to go straight. I hope this isn't the way you ride your bike. If so, you need to read the cars vs. bikes threads.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:27 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3shipguy View Post
What if they are turning right into the next plaza/gas station after the intersection? Not so cut and dry, is it? You wouldn't want them cutting across from the left lane to turn right into plaza if other cars are going straight from the right lane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
3. If you are coming up on a major intersection, with few exceptions, don't remain in the right lane if you aren't turning right - especially if you are the first vehicle to the intersection.
I think that falls under the exceptions category.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:35 PM

But how would you know if said motorist was going to make a right at the next plaza or not? Are you suppose to read their minds and go to the left lane and turn right right in front of them as Bike4life stated? If a cop saw you do that, I'm sure he'll cite you for illegal right turn.

With that said, I don't get into the right lane unless an immediate right turn is coming up...and if there's bumper to bumper traffic in all lanes during rush hour.

I don't get angry at drivers going straight on the right lane either. I don't like it but the law entitles them to the lane. It's not a right turn only lane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston