Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 04:28 PM

6,288 posts, read 7,492,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach234 View Post
& the difference between physically riding in a car and roaming google maps is what??? besides the cars in motion......

its just fascinating how the 5th largest metropolitan area overall looks like a bunch of sleepy small towns congested into one huge city. but i guess thats just what makes houston, HOUSTON.
How many streets can you cruise on Google maps ? How many neighborhoods can you really explore ? Can you ask people that you pass on Google maps about their favorite parts of town ? Google maps is a great resource for finding out how to get somewhere, but it is 2 dimensional and doesn't allow you to sense the true feel of anything. Next thing you know people like you will complain about the humity in Houston because Houston looks humid on Google Maps.

What made you even explore Houston vicariously on Google Maps, you give no reason for your interest and no basis for why your curiosity even matters. I'm surprised this thread was allowed to continue quit frankly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 05:54 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
No, I can't see Houston getting to that point without a major culture shift. The burbs are still spreading out and innercity neighborhoods neglected, lots of work has been done, but there's so much ahead as well. Some areas do in fact feel like a "city" although I think it diminishes quickly depending on which neighborhood you're in.

But by no means does Houston ever feel small. When you can see skyscrapers from just about every overpass in the metro and freeways wider than Big Mommas butt, it feels HUGE. Just not urban style huge like you would expect.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:33 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,067,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
What??
That's right. A Rice University magazine called it "rurban" - a blend of urban and rural characteristics: http://offcite.org/wp-content/upload...oriaRogers.pdf - Mainly applies to black neighborhoods outside of the 610 Loop such as Acres Homes, North Forest, etc.

Quote:
I know what he's talking about. What I don't understand is how he thinks there's any accuracy to such an overgeneralized statement. All Hispanic neighborhoods don't look like Denver Harbor and most black neighborhoods don't look like Acres Homes or Anderson Rd.
Based on the magazine article, that is an accurate generalization of many black neighborhoods outside of the 610 Loop. Inside 610 it would be fair to say that it's not an accurate generalization.

Last edited by Vicman; 04-05-2014 at 10:42 PM..

Old 04-06-2014, 12:07 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,561,932 times
lol.. have you ever been to Houston mach? you want to see a bunch of small cities thrown together to make one large metro, start "crusing" around DFW on your Google Earth.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:10 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
That's right. A Rice University magazine called it "rurban" - a blend of urban and rural characteristics: http://offcite.org/wp-content/upload...oriaRogers.pdf - Mainly applies to black neighborhoods outside of the 610 Loop such as Acres Homes, North Forest, etc.

Based on the magazine article, that is an accurate generalization of many black neighborhoods outside of the 610 Loop. Inside 610 it would be fair to say that it's not an accurate generalization.
Just about every neighborhood outside of the loop is either "rurban" or typically suburban. Most blacks live in the latter

Some of the more notorious black neighborhoods are very low density, but that doesn't constitute the majority. Also, you can't forget that several neighborhoods now considered Hispanic were black communities less than a few decades ago.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:00 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
lol.. have you ever been to Houston mach? you want to see a bunch of small cities thrown together to make one large metro, start "crusing" around DFW on your Google Earth.
I find that most cities are like this to an extent, and there's nothing wrong with it.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:29 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,067,064 times
Quote:
Just about every neighborhood outside of the loop is either "rurban" or typically suburban. Most blacks live in the latter

Some of the more notorious black neighborhoods are very low density, but that doesn't constitute the majority. Also, you can't forget that several neighborhoods now considered Hispanic were black communities less than a few decades ago.
It is true that many Hispanics are increasingly moving into former black neighborhoods. I don't know of any Houston neighborhoods that have fully "turned" yet from Black to Hispanic. I know in Compton, California it's now majority Latino.

I should have clarified "inside the Beltway" as the Blue Ridge area is definitely suburban. Missouri City is definitely suburban.

From the first page:
Quote:
Acres Homes, Independence Heights, Houston Gardens, Settegast, Clinton Park, and Sunnyside. Developed from the period just prior to World War I, and through the end of World War II, they were developed by and for African-Americans in what was then the outskirts of Houston. They are nearly equidistant from Downtown and share complex histories. With the exception of Independence Heights, these neighborhoods could be defined as “rurban,”

Old 04-06-2014, 10:53 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach234 View Post
ok so im on google maps roaming, and it hit me that this city overall really looks like it has a small town vibe to it. not saying its a bad thing. do you think houston is too spread out to actually feel city like?
Because Houston is a large city, it is giving off a "city-like" vibe by default. But I suspect you are asking if Houston will ever resemble some of the older, denser big cities. I am not so certain it will. And I don't think it's because of the size. Gosh - DC, Baltimore, Jersey City and even smaller cities like Providence and Wilmington have denser cores. I think this is so because these cities were established and grew rapidly in a pre-auto era and before a preference for suburbs reached its heyday. Further, these cites were also hemmed in by their incorporated suburbs, so they could only grow by squeezing more people into a smaller tract. Houston has boomed (and is booming) in different era. While I don't think the CBD will ever resemble DT Boston, I do believe the increasing value on inner loop properties will drive denser and denser development. One need look no further than Montrose to see the apartment complexes and densely cluster town homes rising on land that formerly held single family homes to witness this.

The density of the older cites vs a more spacious model is neither good nor bad. It simply depends on the model of urbanity one prefers.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:10 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Because Houston is a large city, it is giving off a "city-like" vibe by default. But I suspect you are asking if Houston will ever resemble some of the older, denser big cities. I am not so certain it will. And I don't think it's because of the size. Gosh - DC, Baltimore, Jersey City and even smaller cities like Providence and Wilmington have denser cores. I think this is so because these cities were established and grew rapidly in a pre-auto era and before a preference for suburbs reached its heyday. Further, these cites were also hemmed in by their incorporated suburbs, so they could only grow by squeezing more people into a smaller tract. Houston has boomed (and is booming) in different era. While I don't think the CBD will ever resemble DT Boston, I do believe the increasing value on inner loop properties will drive denser and denser development. One need look no further than Montrose to see the apartment complexes and densely cluster town homes rising on land that formerly held single family homes to witness this.

The density of the older cites vs a more spacious model is neither good nor bad. It simply depends on the model of urbanity one prefers.
Wouldn't you agree, though, that DT is the neighborhood with the most potential? Just imagine all that could replace those terrible parking lots.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:18 AM

3,283 posts, read 6,048,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
No, I can't see Houston getting to that point without a major culture shift. The burbs are still spreading out and innercity neighborhoods neglected, lots of work has been done, but there's so much ahead as well. Some areas do in fact feel like a "city" although I think it diminishes quickly depending on which neighborhood you're in.

But by no means does Houston ever feel small. When you can see skyscrapers from just about every overpass in the metro and freeways wider than Big Mommas butt, it feels HUGE. Just not urban style huge like you would expect.
Most people cant afford to live in houstons inner city. The city has done massive amounts of work in the city itself its completly changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston