Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 02:42 PM

31 posts, read 38,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I'm different. I don't always care for the "thing" as it was put.

I only went into two museums and the Capitol when I was in DC last summer. I was more interested in roaming neighborhoods, most of whom people who aren't familiar with DC have never heard of. In fact, most outsiders' view of DC seems to be the National Mall with the Capitol at one end, the Lincoln Memorial on the other, the monument in the middle and the White House along the side, all surrounded by a massive slum.

Hollywood effect. You only ever see that part of DC in the movies. Americans are profoundly ignorant of the world around them, including their own country.
You are not the average tourist as you have stated.
If you're a pure tourist I see no reason why you should be walking the streets of Truxton Circle or wandering down J street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 03:35 PM

682 posts, read 834,367 times
Houston has it's vibe. All cities have it's vibe. To think over 6 million people can live in one area and not somehow blend together to form it's own uniqueness is rather silly and narrow minded. Now the vibe wasn't to my personal taste so I moved...but it has its' personality and it's has many thriving scenes be they neighborhoods, restaurants, sports, liberal/conservative, hicks to sophisticated....Houston has it's own thriving vibe.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago3rd View Post
Houston has it's vibe. All cities have it's vibe.
Some city's vibes are that of podunk town and that vibe does not entice people from all over the world let alone all over the country to visit. Sacramento and Stockton, CA come to mind. As does Huntsville, Alabama.

Houston is also not thinking like a lage major metropolis with things like this:

//www.city-data.com/forum/houst...y-article.html

"Metro wanted them to leave space to put a light rail on Katy Freeway and they refused to do it."

"288 was built to put in rail in the center, but instead of doing that, they are putting in toll lanes. I think it is very short-sighted."

Old 04-08-2014, 12:41 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htownnoob View Post
Some city's vibes are that of podunk town and that vibe does not entice people from all over the world let alone all over the country to visit. Sacramento and Stockton, CA come to mind. As does Huntsville, Alabama.

Houston is also not thinking like a lage major metropolis with things like this:

//www.city-data.com/forum/houst...y-article.html

"Metro wanted them to leave space to put a light rail on Katy Freeway and they refused to do it."

"288 was built to put in rail in the center, but instead of doing that, they are putting in toll lanes. I think it is very short-sighted."
It has less to do with the city and more to do with certain suburban-district politicians who have an interest in concrete.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
It has less to do with the city and more to do with certain suburban-district politicians who have an interest in concrete.
Atlanta has this issue (pubtrans) with OTP towns not wanting MARTA to extend into their area(s).

Old 04-08-2014, 01:11 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Houston has been on of the Top 5 largest cities in America for I don't know how many decades probably since the 50s/60s.
Houston is not an "average" city in size. But it has a nice down home feel to it. There is nothing drawing tourists here from Japan, China or Europe.
In order for Houston to be a Top 5 attractive city in the country, they will need some type of "it" factor.
Austin has SXSW and their weirdness.
The Rodeo brings domestic and international tourists to Houston. Not sure who told you otherwise.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Atlanta has this issue (pubtrans) with OTP towns not wanting MARTA to extend into their area(s).
Atlanta and its central counties also have a more exclusively Democrat voting populace that helped them get MARTA off of the ground. Fulton and DeKalb Counties, which the rail serves, make up less than 1/3 of the entire metro's population. At 600+ square miles itself and one huge central county that includes many conservative districts, Houston does not have that. If the COH only included the Loop and Harris County was only everything inside Beltway 8, we would likely have what Atlanta has.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
The Rodeo brings domestic and international tourists to Houston. Not sure who told you otherwise.
My point was Houston's Rodeo is not as widely known (on a household name basis) as:
Chicago's Taste
DC Cherry Blossom Festival
Grammy's/Oscar's in Los Angeles
Spring Break in Miami
New Orleans Jazz Festival

I think about 2.5M ppl attend the Houston Rodeo each year. That is a substantial amount. But I wonder how it compares in national/international notoriety compared with the above events?

Old 04-08-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
My point was Houston's Rodeo is not as widely known (on a household name basis) as:
Chicago's Taste
DC Cherry Blossom Festival
Grammy's/Oscar's in Los Angeles
Spring Break in Miami
New Orleans Jazz Festival

I think about 2.5M ppl attend the Houston Rodeo each year. That is a substantial amount. But I wonder how it compares in national/international notoriety compared with the above events?
Well, sure, but it's not as if that can't change.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Atlanta and its central counties also have a more exclusively Democrat voting populace that helped them get MARTA off of the ground. Fulton and DeKalb Counties, which the rail serves, make up less than 1/3 of the entire metro's population. At 600+ square miles itself and one huge central county that includes many conservative districts, Houston does not have that. If the COH only included the Loop and Harris County was only everything inside Beltway 8, we would likely have what Atlanta has.
You are strengthening reasons why Houston will not be on the level of Atlanta and other "Top Cities"'

United rules IAH and Southwest rules HOU just as Delta rules ATL, how easy is it to get from downtown Atlanta to ATL via public transport as it is from one of Houston's main airports to downtown Houston?

Public Transportation is an integral part of any major city.
Even Los Angeles has the FlyAway shuttles between Union Station and LAX.

I think Houston would really be on a different path if they truly wanted to be "world class". I think the powers that be are fine with the current situation,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston