U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2014, 07:40 AM

45 posts, read 125,551 times

Advertisements

Hi, It looks like there are a few folks on the forums very familiar with West University. I found topics discussing how certain blocks of WU are more premium than others-College Court/Colonial Terrace are priced a bit lower than West University Place for example. Would you have any opinions about the area called Virginia Cour between Wakeforest and Kirby? Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 07:49 AM

90 posts, read 145,487 times
That is a nice area, closer to Rice Village, a little more street crime (car break-ins,etc..) Are you referring to streets like Lake and Charlotte? Still a more desirable area than College Court/ Colonial Terrace.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:00 AM

280 posts, read 331,778 times
nothing wrong with that area at all. FYI - WU folks don't use the names College Court/Colonial Terrace/Virginia Court.

College Court is "The Chimney". For what you call Colonial Terrace - the closer you get to Community the less desirable, but then again now that the train doesn't use its horn, that is up for debate. The Virginia Court area is sometimes called the Charlotte/Lake area.

I lived on Sunset between Belmont and Wake Forest for many years and we never had any issue with crime. The area is nice - walking distance to the Rice Village.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:20 AM

45 posts, read 125,551 times
Yes, thank you. I was referring to the streets like Charlotte, Annapolis, Fordham. Just curious-lot more houses come on the market in the Colonial Terrace/college street areas....very few are coming on in the other parts including Virginia Court which we like because of the Rice Village proximity. Is this usually the pattern or just something happening in 2014?

Old 04-08-2014, 09:38 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,319,753 times
IMO the most-desirable part of West U is bounded by University to the north, Holcombe/Bellaire Blvd to the south, Wakeforest to the East, and Mercer to the West. You'll find the largest lots and most new builds in this area. Virginia court has smaller lots, but is still an extremely nice area. Splitting hairs really, the whole city is a fantastic place to live and that is reflected in the pricing.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:18 AM

agree - the entire city is a great place to live. I'm partial to the area bounded by Sunset to the north, Rice to the south, Auden to the west and Edloe to the east. Houses that go up for sale in that area hardly ever last more than a few days. There are no cut thru streets and its close to the school, ball fields, and has easy access to 59.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:25 AM

90 posts, read 145,487 times
More houses come up for sale west of Weslayan because there are more houses there They also tend to be "starter" West U homes, people buy them just to get into West U. Then, if they can, later they move to larger lots/houses in West U.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:30 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,352,711 times
I have noticed one thing. Most of my friends that lived in West U got a starter house. People usually stay there and upgrade to a larger house. I am the only person I know that left out of my friends. lol. If I was married I would live there.

Those areas are just fine. If you can afford it live there do it. You can always upgrade to a new house later.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:54 AM

yep - I'm on my third house in West U. Got in at a great time for a "starter" home and have upgraded twice. Now in what I feel is the perfect part of WU with a home that we can retire in if we so choose.

Interesting, but according to HAR.COM, right now there is only one house for sale west of Wesleyan that would be considered a "starter" home, and its $670k. Everything else is that area is $975k or higher.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:51 PM
bu2

19,058 posts, read 10,304,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAS909 View Post
Yes, thank you. I was referring to the streets like Charlotte, Annapolis, Fordham. Just curious-lot more houses come on the market in the Colonial Terrace/college street areas....very few are coming on in the other parts including Virginia Court which we like because of the Rice Village proximity. Is this usually the pattern or just something happening in 2014?
Only difference in the Wake Forest to Kirby section is there aren't as many new construction homes as the area to the west. But that is starting to change. Lake Street probably has had more new homes built in the last 10 years than the 50 years prior to that. Tangley (WF to Kirby) has had almost all its housing replaced since the late 90s.

Its easy to get everywhere in the Village. Prices tend to be a little lower the closer you are to Kirby but its not that big a deal. I lived there 17 years and the only crime I had was someone breaking in a windshield. But they did the same thing that night to about 20 cars all over West U. Its in West U. You can get police there on a suspicious person call inside a minute (and I did a couple of times).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston