Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 01:11 PM

218 posts, read 220,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by menacide View Post
Lulwut?

Please let me know what safe area has apartments or anything with a private room and private bathroom for under $500 a month?

Also, you think the hispanics are going to take kindly to a european standing on the corner competing for the labor jobs? The OP doesn't even have perfect english, so it's not like he can use that to sway potential employers to pick him versus hispanics.

I'd say wait for a job, or start getting certifications/training so you can get a job down here.
I never said that he should work the corners, I just said that it can be done. You just assumed that I did. Also, I personally know a lot of those guys and they really are nice people. Obviously again you are assuming that they would be upset with people of other ethnic backgrounds working along side of them. I tell you they wont. As well, I have seen not only Hispanics standing in front of Home Depot and on the corner but also people of different races and ethnic backgrounds. Granted it is true that the majority are hispanics , but to say that only Hispanic do it clearly just shows your ignorance.

With that being said, the message that I tried to convey is that it is possible to move to Houston and not only make it, but prosper doing what some consider low brow jobs. I personally have seen it done. An elderly lady from El Salvador worked as a stocker at Sellers Brothers grocery store for years. She saved her money and invested in some townhomes in Sharpstown. Now she rents them out and lives off that. That's the beauty of this country and Houston in particular, if you are willing to work and be smart, you will prosper. Of course you wont be living in Uptown or River Oaks, but is that a bad thing? Also there will be people that will assume (yes please make the connection) you are dangerous just because you are not what they are comfortable with and used to. However, I personally don't mind that. People like that are generally not the kinds I want to be around ;-).

Lastly, I live in a nice, quiet small apartment complex in Gulfton. I pay 500 a month for a one bedroom. I know everybody and they know me. We all get along. There are people of all different races, ethnic backgrounds, and ages living here also so please don't play the profile game and call Gulfton "little Mex". This as well shows great ignorance of what this neighborhood really is like. Ironically, "Mexicans" and "Chicanos" are almost non existent here. Its mainly central american, black, African, and White. Also, there are more Asians and Indians living here in places like Lantern Villiage and some other complexes than "Mexican" or "Chicanos" its just simple the wrong side of town.

Hopefully this can clarify what I tried to say in my previous post. Thanks for taking to time to read it though :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 01:16 PM

218 posts, read 220,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 979Texan View Post
I see your bros on street corners every day. Of course it can be done, but the OP will NOT fit in with to the Hispanic labor pool that already exists here en masse. You're an idiot for even chiming in on this thread when you have nothing to contribute. And $500 might get you first rate third world country accommodations, but you're likely to get jacked as an outsider coming to Houston and paying rent that low. Please feel free to impart more wisdom. It is high comedy for the rest of us.

The point is the OP does NOT need to come here with no prospects or skills.
Tell me, how do you know he won't fit in? Again, that's your opinion and I know that in your little world that counts for a lot, but frankly the vast majority of the people in this world really don't care. read my response to the other person.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:24 PM

28 posts, read 65,754 times
Thank you

Old 04-15-2014, 09:43 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,910,074 times
I would not recommend coming here without a job. Especially as 'unskilled labor'. If you cant get a firefighter job where you're at, you wont get one in Houston, the list is a mile long already.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:35 PM

659 posts, read 1,376,139 times
Stay put.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:59 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,903,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adibingo View Post
Thank you
Look at my last post I stay near Houston in a city call Nacogdoches and Houston is the city that you should move to.Some Americans don't like diversity and don't won't you coming but it must be a sign from GOD that Houston is the spot for you.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:28 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,595,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee936 View Post
Look at my last post I stay near Houston in a city call Nacogdoches and Houston is the city that you should move to.Some Americans don't like diversity and don't won't you coming but it must be a sign from GOD that Houston is the spot for you.
Heat, humidity and mosquitoes, plus, you practically must own a car to get around.

It's best to stay put.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:57 PM

If i wanna chose a place to live because the wheather is ok ,Hawaii is that place, the unemployment in Houston is 6,6 here in LA is more de 12 I think is a big difference ,

Old 04-17-2014, 01:19 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,443,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adibingo View Post
If i wanna chose a place to live because the wheather is ok ,Hawaii is that place, the unemployment in Houston is 6,6 here in LA is more de 12 I think is a big difference ,
L.A. Unemployment Rate Drops, More Jobs in County | Los Angeles Business Journal

Old 04-17-2014, 04:01 AM

//www.city-data.com/city/Los-An...alifornia.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston