Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 11:05 AM

2 posts, read 19,445 times

Advertisements

Calling all mothers in Houston. I have a 3, almost 4, year old Autistic child. I'm in the process of putting my house on the market and will move to any area of Houston with a QUALITY PPCD program.

I currently live in Bellaire and while you would think that the ppcd program in this affluent area would have all the bells and whistles that a parent could ask for, the truth is it's still HISD and horribly underfunded. I was appalled when I enrolled my son in this school and ended up un-enrolling him after a little more than a month, opting instead for private therapies.

At the Lovett ppcd program, these poor little autistic kids are stuffed into a trailer at the back of the school lot that looks like the biggest afterthought ever. The classroom set up makes me want to cry - room looks like the junkroom for all the broken furniture and computers for the entire school. All the toys are old and grungy - i didn't see any, I REPEAT ANY, new or cutting edge educational toys. Kids are on one side of the stuffed room with florescent lights blinking overhead and window ac units humming noisely. Talk about sensory overload. There's no way these kids can learn anything in this environment. I was so dismayed when I saw it.

So, off the soap box, what I'm looking for is a public school program for autistic children in an environment that shows that the teachers and educators truly understand the unique set of challenges autistic children have to deal with in order to learn. I want teachers who are on the lookout for new ways to reach these kids - all it takes is a 5-minute search on Google - there's tons of new educational toys on the market. At Lovett I didn't even see a visual schedule - no lie. At my ARD, I requested some educational toys and was told my request would be considered. I never did get an answer while Bobby was enrolled.

Is there anything out there? I'll move anywhere in Houston if there is a school that exists like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 11:55 AM

627 posts, read 1,621,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby's Mom View Post
I'm in the process of putting my house on the market and will move to any area of Houston with a QUALITY PPCD program.
We all (well, most of us) know what PCD is, but what does PPCD stands for?

Old 05-09-2007, 12:11 PM

2 posts, read 19,445 times
Hi Visitor - sorry - PPCD stands for pre-school program for children with disabilities.

Old 05-09-2007, 03:54 PM

5 posts, read 64,164 times
I don't know if you've looked into KISD but they have a really great special education department and particularly specializing in Autism. I don't know how much research you've done but my pediatrician highly recommended KISD and we were there before and loved it and moving back this upcoming school year. Check it out...can't give first hand info as it related to autism but with the disabilities my son has they were wonderful and caring most of all, they wanted to see him succeed. Keep the hope alive.

Old 06-28-2007, 12:05 PM

1 posts, read 9,631 times
I was so glad when my cousin sent me this website...we are contemplating a move to Houston and would welcome any information on programs for our autistic child. If you have experience with autism, please let me know how you faired in your local school district. Many Thanks!

Old 06-28-2007, 03:07 PM

212 posts, read 1,272,983 times
I worked in Cy-Fair ISD (and two other school districts) with the PPCD program and special education, and from my experience...Cy-Fair ISD is the leader. The district has great resources and great services for PPCD. I worked two years in PPCD and its a great situation there, teachers are professional and quality educators.

Old 06-28-2007, 07:35 PM

44 posts, read 270,035 times
Our family is looking into a move to Houston and have gotten some feedback on autism programs. First I emailed someone from arc of Katy; she sent me a note back and said she was also a special ed teacher at KISD for 20 yrs. and gave me the dir. of special services at KISD's email add. Long story short Katy sounds very good and they were nice enough to send me a note about how they handle services. (I'd be happy to forward the note to you ) I also found an autism/advocacy website and the rep. sent me back a note saying Cypress was the very best. I'm not sure why. Now we are on vacation so I haven't followed up in about 2 weeks. let me know if you want me to forward you my info. good luck.

Old 06-30-2007, 08:13 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
I have a 2 year old autistic daughter, and though I am no expert, IMHO, Spring Branch is the best for children with autism. They have dedicated Pre-K and Early Learning schools right next to their elementary schools. They don't share facilities with private pre-schools or squeeze them in to a regular elementary. Their program is amazing. You can see their info here: Spring Branch ISD PreKindergarten Program if your child qualifies for services, then at 3 they can be put into the Pre-K system. It doesn't say that on the website, but it is true throughout the state.

Our ECI team has told us, off the record, that Spring Branch is the best they've seen.

I have heard Katy is next (there are two "KISD"s--Katy and Klein, and Klein notoriously has issues with their funding for special ed) in line for quality of services. I have not heard about Cy-Fair, but you can check with some of the parents at the Texas Autism Advocacy Website (http://www.texasautismadvocacy.org/ - broken link) and join their yahoo group--it's a big group and they'll tell you everything you want to know!

Good luck!

Last edited by Mom2Feebs; 06-30-2007 at 08:47 AM..

Old 07-06-2007, 09:14 PM

11 posts, read 44,196 times
My experience with my 5 yo Autie: ABA therapy via The Learning Repertoire. Good school district for auties: Friendswood.

Old 07-31-2007, 03:54 PM

1 posts, read 9,502 times
Your post broke my heart! Hopefully you have had some luck since this was posted. We live on the West side of Houston. Our school district, SBISD, has a wonderful PPCD program! I was nervous about moving my daughter from her private school into the program at Bendwood and now Wildcat Way... I have to tell you that it has been a wonderful fit for her. Her teachers adore my child and the principals and everyone involved in her treatment plan have bent over backwards to get the very best program and assistance for our family. Unfortunately your story happens all the time and there is a HUGE difference in services available from school district to district. We have been so grateful to SBISD and their program, because of their hard work we are hoping and planning to go mainstream in another year or two.

Good luck to you and your family. Stay strong!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: