Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 09:24 AM

836 posts, read 1,119,203 times

Advertisements

I went to the post office close to my office. On the door was a phone number to call to schedule an appointment. I called the number and it rings and rings. Recorded message says please hold for next available agent. Then more ringing. Another recorded message says connecting you to an agent. Then more ringing and ringing. This repeats itself forever

Finally, a recorded message tells me to leave my name and number and they will return my call.

Anybody go through this? I wonder how long before they return my call?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 09:29 AM

237 posts, read 648,210 times
I just went to the post office and did it. Didn't have to make an appointment.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:45 AM
bu2

24,073 posts, read 14,866,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickelfan View Post
I just went to the post office and did it. Didn't have to make an appointment.
Downtown takes an appointment, but you also have to tell them when you are leaving the country. Various post offices have various waits. I went to Pasadena two or three times and didn't have any major waits. Westbury, however, was packed the one time I went.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:48 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,915,922 times
There is a passport shop on West Gray that will take your picture and file the paperwork. You will have a passport within a week.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:04 AM

The website for the post office closest to me gave the hours they are open for passport acceptance. They put out a signup sheet and accept the first ten people. I went to the post office and there was no sign up sheet only a phone number to call to make an appointment.

West Gray is no where near my office so probably can't do that on my lunch "hour".

I also have to file a lost/stolen passport form. I wanted to make sure there were no problems getting a passport before I make my airline reservations.

I don't trust the post office websites; been burned too many times! So I have to go to the post office and see what the hours, etc. are for the passport office.

Last edited by Whyrallnamestaken; 04-16-2014 at 10:06 AM.. Reason: forgot to add something

Old 04-16-2014, 11:23 AM

551 posts, read 1,573,849 times
Most if not all post offices now only take you with an appointment. We all had to do our passports this winter. When I called to make appts. the next open appointment was about 3 weeks from when I called. So we called at beginning of January and had appts. at end of January. Hope that helps!

Old 04-16-2014, 11:28 AM
cla

898 posts, read 3,307,525 times
I went through the same headache trying to get a passport for my daughter last year. Every post office had a sign up process (I went to two post offices at least 30 minutes before opening and still missed the cut off). After calling around to several post offices and libraries, my daughter got online with the Houston passport agency on Smith and was able to get an appt right away. You can get a passport photo taken in the deli downstairs as well (we had already gotten a passport photo from Walgreen's, but it didn't meet their criteria, so she had to take another).

Old 04-16-2014, 12:11 PM

I was trying to get it done close by my office instead of having to go downtown. It's hard to find any information. The PO I'm trying to go to says they can take photo (this is on their website), but I wanted to verify this. If the first available appointment is weeks away, I will have time to get photo elsewhere if they don't do it.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:08 PM
bu2

24,073 posts, read 14,866,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyrallnamestaken View Post
The website for the post office closest to me gave the hours they are open for passport acceptance. They put out a signup sheet and accept the first ten people. I went to the post office and there was no sign up sheet only a phone number to call to make an appointment.

West Gray is no where near my office so probably can't do that on my lunch "hour".

I also have to file a lost/stolen passport form. I wanted to make sure there were no problems getting a passport before I make my airline reservations.

I don't trust the post office websites; been burned too many times! So I have to go to the post office and see what the hours, etc. are for the passport office.
Look at the website for the downtown passport office. They will give you an appointment and get you a passport in X days if you have a definite date when you are traveling.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:26 PM

13 posts, read 24,307 times
I live in Katy and work in the Galleria area

We went last year to Niagara Falls and we wanted to go across the border with the kids - so we had to get them passports

I called all over the place and the post office steered me further out

I found that going out further to Rosenberg or Sealy made it a lot easier and they answer the phone to make an appointment

Just my .02
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston