Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 01:23 AM

2 posts, read 2,008 times

Advertisements

I have lived in NJ for a long time, and for the most part I've always looked forward to the day I finally got out of here. I left to Miami to get my masters in social work and realized that the lifestyle wasn't what I was looking for and returned to NJ upon graduation. For months, I have been been looking for possible places to move to, and considered Texas a great option for the laid back life I was looking for. Funny enough, my dad knows someone who is a manager at an oil company in Houston and he offered him a job. Now we're thinking about going this summer and checking out the city, as this is a pretty good offer and I honestly believe that we would have a better quality of life there. We're currently living in Paterson, NJ, so any place is better than here! Anyways, as we look at homes for sale, we have seen some pretty affordable homes, but have no clue as to good and bad towns. I really want to find a good school for my sister who is 9 years old. We have looked at Cypress and Katy, but have read mixed reviews on here on these towns and don't know if a house under $200,000 would necessarily be a good choice although we get more for our money, at least more than in NJ.

Where can we find a nice family friendly suburb to call home (pref. under 250k)
And also, does anyone know how the social work field is doing in Houston?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 06:29 AM

112 posts, read 199,913 times
Cypress and Katy are both considered good suburbs. Personally, I prefer Cypress. We actually bought a year ago on the Cypress/Tomball border (Northpointe area) and got a great, large house for $250K. Because the address is Tomball, the houses are slightly less and you can find some good ones in the $200K range. Also, Tomball ISD is well rated, especially the schools around here.

That said, I am an MSW, and for most Social Work jobs living out here means you have a pretty decent commute (mine is 45 min to an hour each way). To get an idea of Social Work jobs available here, check out:
Job Board - University of Houston
Community Job Bank
For some jobs, like the local government, some hospitals, etc., you have to look at their direct sites, but this will give you an idea.
Best of luck!

Old 04-21-2014, 07:05 AM

264 posts, read 441,677 times
Can you share what you didn't like about Miami? I'm not sure Houston would qualify as a laid back lifestyle.

There are a lot of medical SW jobs concentrated in the medical center. You can even find the occasional sales/marketing position where either an RN or LMSW is preferred. It's a long commute from Cypress to the med center. I did it and it took an hour to 1-1/4 hours in, and 1-1/2 hours out. The Park and Ride is a great alternative.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:26 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,135,442 times
Where is the job offer located? You don't want to live in Katy, but have to commute to the ship channel where most of the refineries are located. Would the job be in downtown?

Old 04-21-2014, 08:32 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,595,663 times
There are a lot of very nice suburban areas with good schools that would be in your price range, but without knowing the location of where your father is working, it's tough to know the appropriate are.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:41 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,383,433 times
Pearland sounds like a good fit for your family, but it is hard to say without knowing the work location. Houston is a huge area and is a fairly complex mishmash of suburbs and neighborhoods. There are good and bad places to live over the entire Houston area.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:13 AM

2 posts, read 2,008 times
I do not know for sure, but I believe the zip code of his place of employment would be 77001.

I think Miami is great, but it just didn't seem like the kind of place I would want to stay in the long run. It just seemed like too much of a party city with people who only cared about appearances. I loved having the beaches and restaurants near by, but that was really it. My field doesn't seem to be doing very well there either. Most of the people I graduated with (with an MSW) are still unemployed - I graduated in December. I enjoy being close to the city, but want my home to be someone where I can just relax and live comfortably.

My dad received this great opportunity in Texas and I think it would be a smart move, not just for him, but the family as a whole, as I hear that certain parts are very family friendly. I think a community where there are more children my sister can play with would be great. By the time we move (most like in a year or so) she will be finishing the 4th grade, so a good middle school/ high school is really important for us.

MSW - I'm wondering how competitive the area is for social work jobs? Like most places, I know the pay may not be all that great, but is Houston in need of more social workers right now? I'm taking the licensure exam and depending on if we decide to relocate, I will begin the process to see if I can get reciprocity in the state. I do have some internship experience working in a nursing home, and I would like geriatric social work to be my specialty.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:10 PM

112 posts, read 199,913 times
77001 puts it right downtown. From any of the suburbs you are looking at least an hour commute, unless he can work off hours, which will lessen it a little. I commuted from Tomball to University of Houston (past downtown) about an hour each way working 9-6. However, being right downtown does make some of the park & ride options easier.
You will get more for your money space wise in the suburbs, but your father will need to be okay with that commute.

MSW-There is a strong MSW program at University of Houston, so you will be competing with those graduates. However, if you are interested in geriatric Social Work, there will be less competition-there just aren't as many MSWs interested in that, especially hospice. If you search on indeed.com with key words (hospice, nursing home, elderly), you will probably find quite a few options, I think your odds would be pretty good at being employed pretty quickly.
You will need to be licensed as an LMSW in Texas before you can even start your search though. Are you taking the ASWB exam in NJ or does NJ have their own? If it ASWB, transferring it to Texas is a lot easier. If it is not the ASWB exam, you will have to take Texas's exam (I had to take it for my LCSW coming from CA).

Old 04-21-2014, 04:17 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,487,912 times
If it is downtown, you might want to look at the southern suburbs - Pearland, Sugarland, Friendswood.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:22 PM

7,540 posts, read 11,568,330 times
You could get a nice home in Westbury for 250k to 285k on the southwest side just outside the loop. Meadows place right near 69 & the beltway it is under your budget and a nice area to
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston