Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 11:30 AM

509 posts, read 724,734 times

Advertisements

ROBS and Second Baptist are about 5 miles apart, and both are Baptist schools. I was surprised to hear that very few ROBS kids move on to Second Baptist for HS, especially given the similarity in demographics between the two schools. Can anybody explain why this is the case?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 12:14 PM

914 posts, read 1,815,012 times
Most of the kids that attend ROBS are Christian/Protestant but not Baptist, and most ROBS parents live inside the loop in West U or River Oaks. ROBS kids tend to go to high schools located inside the loop, such as St. John's and Episcopal, which are more convenient. Dealing with Galleria area traffic in the morning and afternoon is a pain for most parents. Most of the kids go on to Episcopal along with their peer group. A few of the top students go to high academic performing schools such as St. John's, Kinkaid, Strake and St. Agnes. Second Baptist and Houston Christian are geographically challenging and not academically strong enough to pull folks outside the loop and away from Episcopal.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:55 PM

280 posts, read 379,181 times
the only thing Baptist about ROBS is its name....and everything Katy said is correct.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:22 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,373,824 times
Also, Baptist and Second Baptist are two different animals.

Second Baptist is not where I would send my child, Baptist or not, unless I fully believed in fire and brimestone, and the whole unless you accept Christ you are going to hell doctrine. That particular church is highly evangelical.

You see a lot of kids, whose parents want religious influence go on to Episcopal or Strake/Agnes. It's just a more accepting enviroment of all religions, beliefs and non-beliefs.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:42 PM

Okay, so my obvious follow-up is: Why do most First Baptist kids wind up way out on BW8 at Houston Christian as opposed to Second Baptist? HCHS is a slightly more expensive and more distant alternative. Is it again the hard core Baptist vs. vaguely protestant split?

Old 04-21-2014, 02:56 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,373,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston parent View Post
Okay, so my obvious follow-up is: Why do most First Baptist kids wind up way out on BW8 at Houston Christian as opposed to Second Baptist? HCHS is a slightly more expensive and more distant alternative. Is it again the hard core Baptist vs. vaguely protestant split?
Well, you have to ask a FB parent. But it's not uncommon for River Oaks kids to drive out to Strake, Memorial kids drive in to Episcopal. Private school is about many things. What you are looking for in a school for your child, where your child will fit in, where your child CAN get in, and cost. Driving seems to be the least of anyone's issues, in my experience, for High School. People try to stay a little closer to home with younger kids.

All this said, Second Baptist isn't huge on the radar of top choices for High School. It may have to do with the whole Evangelical, Born Again teaching, or the education itself. I've known a few parents that moved over to our middle school from there, and said they found the atmosphere oppressive to put it nicely. But what that school provides is just great for certain families that want that.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:35 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,667,651 times
Second Baptist is not a very good school. I went to school there when I was younger. I have many friends who went to HS there. The education was far behind the public school I was going to. My best friend transferred there from my HS to SBS as a junior. He said it was a big drop in academics. There also the religious part to it. They really shove it down your throats. Not to say all listen. There is plenty of drugs and wild parties there. I went to a few. Though I think it is pretty standard for private schools as far as that goes. The funny thing is everyone I know that went there is barely religious even after all the indoctrination. And, I know a lot of people that went there. Anyways, there are better places to send your kids.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:45 PM

Interesting comments. The SAT scores for Second Baptist appear to be about the same as those for Houston Christian, which is to say comparable to a pretty good public high school, but nowhere near a school like Kinkaid. Not sure what public high school would have better academics, unless you are comparing an IB or magnet program to SBS.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:31 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,667,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston parent View Post
Interesting comments. The SAT scores for Second Baptist appear to be about the same as those for Houston Christian, which is to say comparable to a pretty good public high school, but nowhere near a school like Kinkaid. Not sure what public high school would have better academics, unless you are comparing an IB or magnet program to SBS.
I went to the engineering magnet program. We were miles ahead of SBS. Though I imagine Lamar or Bellaire is well ahead too. SAT scores is not the best measure of a school. You have to consider that all the kids going there are rich and rich parents usually drive their kids to study. I am sure all of them go to college where as public schools are lucky to send half. I will say one thing I loved about SBS and that was how hot the girls were. I used to go visit friends there mainly for that reason.

We have had our fair share of arguments on this site about private schools on here. I think I have a unique view as I had friends that went to these schools as opposed to parents that sent their kids there. Parents rarely know what actually goes on at the schools. Though if you kids can get into St Johns or Kincaid I would go for it. There are just a few others I would bother with over Lamar or Bellaire.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:25 PM

914 posts, read 1,815,012 times
Ii is a matter of supply and demand. In response to Houston Parent's follow up question, First Baptist is one of the prime feeder schools for HCHS--just like ROBS is a prime feeder school for Episcopal. First Baptist only goes through 8th grade so there is a natural continuation into HCHS. The same thing is true for ROBS and Episcopal. HCHS and Episcopal only offer high school education so there are lots of slots. Second Baptist has all levels of schooling so there are not that many open slots at the high school level anyway, not to mention the conservative, evangelical atmosphere . Strake, St. Thomas, St. Agnes, emphasize the Catholic faith but also welcome persons of other faiths. These schools also have lots of open slots for high school kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston