Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 07:16 PM

238 posts, read 696,151 times

Advertisements

After a pool build, there are some areas in my yard that I will need to re-sod. I have st augustine grass, so I will have to use that.

What are some of the reliable companies local to Houston/Sugar Land/Richmond areas who deliver the sod and soil materials directly to my house? I'm thinking of doing the installation myself (first time doing this job as DIY).

I will likely need the materials delivered. Does Home Depot or Lowes deliver? Is sod from big box stores like these good quality, or should I go directly to specialty places like Houston Turf Grass or St Augustine Houston? I tried contacting them but haven't heard back so far.

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 08:35 PM

702 posts, read 1,235,433 times
Houston Garden Center?

Old 04-23-2014, 01:43 AM

7,540 posts, read 11,569,183 times
To get sod delivered you might have to order a min of about 500sqft if you only need like 20 to 25 pieces of sod just goto Lowes or Home Depot and load up a truck. The Sod at Houston Garden center is crap small and dead I know I got 15 pieces of nice sod about 5 weeks ago from Home Depot

Old 04-23-2014, 06:07 AM
cla

898 posts, read 3,307,151 times
grimesgrass.com

I had a pallet of sod delivered from Grimes a few years back for $99.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:26 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,519,758 times
There are landscape companies that will do it for you too. I got a quote on a 15' X 15' area to have bermudagrass removed and St. Augustine installed for around $310. Needless to say, I think I'll do it myself.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:18 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
A few things.

Home Depot and Lowes will be nearly double the price of a grass farm.

Don't guess how much you need, measure it to come up with the square footage.

Throw the grass asap. If you let it sit on the pallets for a couple of days, now that we are getting into the upper 80's, you'll slow the progress of the roots taking hold.

Water, water, water, water, oh, did I say water? Soak the heck out of that grass the first week it's on the ground.

I just threw 5 pallets following the installation of my pool, but I still need to do 3 more. Hopefully this weekend.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:39 AM

238 posts, read 696,151 times
Thanks guys. I do need about 750 sq ft (or 80 sq yards). How many pallets is this? Maybe 2?

I understand that I'll have to put the grass on immediately as soon as it is delivered (or I bring it home), so I'm hoping I don't have to order it - I could just go up to a grass farm, make a selection, and tell them how much I want delivered?

I will also need the top soils and a rototilling tool to mix it with the underlying soil. Planning to rent one from Home depot.

I also have an automated sprinkler system that I'm still learning how to use. Pedro, how many times a day should I water it? Both morning and evening? How long should I keep the sprinkler system on each time?

Old 04-23-2014, 08:58 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
You'll need 2 pallets. That will be just about the exact amount you need with a little extra left over.

I'm watering mine in the morning and the evening. I'll do this for about 10 days to 2 weeks depending upon the heat and if we receive any rain. The roots aren't deep in sod, obviously, and the grass is only able to drink from the immediate surface under them, which dries out faster than you might think. So keep it wet so that it can grow those roots into the ground fast.

The good think is that you have a sprinkler system. That makes all the difference in the world.

This is my 4th time to sod my backyard.

We brought in heavy machinery to dig our canal deeper and had to sod that mess. Then my neighbor built a pool, and their company had to cut across our backyard - more sod. Then I did a bunch of changes in my backyard requiring heavy equipment - sod. Now the pool just was finished - sod. lol.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:20 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,264,565 times
You can find the places that will deliver sod on Craigslist. Its cheap/easy. 1 pallet is approximately 450sqft of sod. You need to lay it within 24 hours of delivery and water it religiously for about 3 weeks.

I can put out 2 pallets in about an hour and fifteen minutes...its alot of work though. Have the truck that delivers it set it as close as possible to where you will lay it, but not right where you will lay it.

Also just FYI most sod does have some ants in it, so be prepared for that. I wasn't and I did not notice them until I was covered in them..

Old 04-23-2014, 10:11 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,693,701 times
Mata turf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston