Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2014, 10:12 AM

5,614 posts, read 4,939,687 times

Advertisements

I'm curious as to what forummers think of a common dining establishment type in Houston, the parking lot cafe. We don't really do sidewalk cafes much here; instead we put outdoor dining next to the parking lot so that we can watch folks go to and from their cars, our equivalent of urban hustle and bustle. For freeway feeder road locations, we put the dining out facing the freeway, with its noise and exhaust. I personally don't find the freeway situation appealing, but maybe I'm a small minority.

What do other folks on here think of parking lot and freeway cafes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 06:01 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times
I don't really care for dining on sidewalks up against parking lots but I love being outside, even in our hot weather, so I often choose to sit in whatever outside section they have because I'm cooped up indoors at work all day in a freezing cold office. Unless the outside is crowded and filled with smokers - then I'm inside, even when the only view I have is the parking lot.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:17 AM

115 posts, read 228,416 times
I always found it funny that most outside seating does this (faces a parking lot or a freeway).... but then again, what else would they face in this concrete land?

Old 05-01-2014, 07:34 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,912,451 times
They are terrible, of course, but better than nothing I suppose. DH and I joke it is symptomatic of Houston's love of the automobile, that an outdoor patio overlooking a parking lot with the deafening roar of traffic is a Houstonian's idea of a good view and the sounds of nature.

I appreciate it when establishments at least try to create a more pleasant experience with planters and small trees, etc. Good design can do so much to improve quality of experiences and life but Houstonians just do not get this or do not care. Practicality and cost trump everything here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: