Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 06:21 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,275,674 times

Advertisements

Now would be a great time to plan on getting a Bermuda lawn if your lawn is completely dead and dried up! If your homeowner's association allows you that is. I think they look better than St Agustine. It is softer on your feet, kids like to play and lay on it, and it is more drought resistant than St Agustine. It is a fine, green lawn that looks like carpet when kept up. You don't need to do anything different other than keep it lower than St Agustine.

But then I'm biased... I come from W. Texas where Bermuda lawns are the norm... El Toro, or TIFF 419. A Bermuda lawn just looks more manicured, neat and adds something, I don't know, something along the lines of class as curb appeal.

You don't have to sod the entire lawn, you could purchase sprigs and rake them into our dead lawn... ad water, and wait for it to grow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 09:13 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,290,932 times
I dont think it does well here typically...people usaually seed there laws with it in fall for a winter green but after that it dies.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:25 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,275,674 times
Default It does great here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
I dont think it does well here typically...people usaually seed there laws with it in fall for a winter green but after that it dies.
What you see in winter is Rye grass, it is seasonal, cooler weather of course.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:32 AM

38 posts, read 179,987 times
I do hate St. Augustine...they are thick and look nasty

Old 08-24-2011, 10:25 AM

3,283 posts, read 6,053,807 times
bermuda does not typically do well in Houston I thought. family in Austin have a hard time keeping it alive in the summer (its dead there now just like my backyard). i cant remember if it does well in the shade and dies quick in full sun or vice versa.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:10 PM

66 posts, read 111,026 times
Some info from about.com:

Bermuda grass loves full sun and has excellent traffic tolerance. It responds quickly to watering after drought and requires frequent mowing. Bermuda grass tends to go dormant during the winter and is often overseeded with ryegrass in the winter to maintain green color. Common Bermuda, Celebration, GN1, Grimes EXP, TexTurf, TifSport, and Tifway 419 are all considered drought tolerant cultivars.

St. Augustine grass is a medium green, coarse leaf grass that prefers dappled shade and is acceptable for moderate traffic. It remains green for the winter months of dormancy but is susceptible to diseases if excessively watered during the winter. Floratam is considered the best drought resistant cultivar.

Zoysia grass tolerates sun and shade but is slow growing compared to Bermuda and St. Augustine. Once Zoysia is established, it provides a lush, green carpet of turf. Zoysia tolerates foot traffic well and different cultivars have varying tolerance to drought. El Toro, Empire, Jamur, and Palisdaes are considered drought resistant cultivars of Zoysia grass.

Buffalo grass is native to the midwest, requires full sun and does not tolerate much traffic. It requires little, if any, water once it is established. It needs to be established from plugs and must be mowed high (over 5" or not at all). All varieties of Buffalo grass are considered drought tolerant but some newer cultivars like Legacy are favored over others.

Centipede grass is "apple-green" or "lime-green" in color and although slow growing, makes an attractive, low maintenance lawn once established. It prefers full sun or partial shade and tolerates acidic soil so it is commonly found growing in the dappled shade under pine trees.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:04 PM

538 posts, read 1,362,476 times
I hear this grows really well here:

SYNLawn® artificial grass products for lawn and landscape applications

Old 08-24-2011, 07:11 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,028,581 times
grows?

Old 08-25-2011, 06:25 PM

538 posts, read 1,362,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
grows?
Okay, so maybe it doesn't. If I had the nerve, and wasn't worried about resale, I'd 'plant' my entire backyard with it.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:40 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,541,391 times
I saw a show once where foreclosed homes were having their yards spray painted. It was pretty awesome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: