Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 12:33 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
You don't want to live around college-aged, families, old people and children. Um, you may want to move back to your farm and live among the chickens and goats because I don't think there's any other types of people left.
Singles in their 30s?

Old 05-01-2014, 12:39 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,808,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Singles in their 30s?
That is a very narrow demographic. The closest you'll find is in Midtown but that's also in the middle of the bar scene.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
That is a very narrow demographic. The closest you'll find is in Midtown but that's also in the middle of the bar scene.
Yeah but I don't like bar scenes or drinking.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:44 PM

288 posts, read 433,926 times
I enjoy reading people's reaction who think all these lists placing this city, can still get a basement bargain for housing.

People are getting priced out of the city pretty fast and the COL is sky rocketing. Its isn't anywhere near what it used to be. Cheap compared to where ever your coming from, but absolutely insane to those of us who are from here.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:55 PM

Okay, now someone please answer me this question.

I have spent a couple days in the Dallas area and I found the area to be overwhelming, fast paced, congested and stressful. Please tell me that Houston is nothing like Dallas!

Old 05-01-2014, 01:04 PM

960 posts, read 2,750,239 times
Quote:
But I don't want to live around families, old people and children.
Ah, you just finally ruled out living down here. We are too impatient for your indecisiveness. You might fit better in the Dallas forum.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:12 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,808,575 times
Quote:

I have spent a couple days in the Dallas area and I found the area to be overwhelming, fast paced, congested and stressful. Please tell me that Houston is nothing like Dallas!
You make me sleepy.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:17 PM

192 posts, read 293,113 times
Quote:
After much research, discussion and thinking, I am considering planning a visit to Houston very soon. I have a $100 credit for JetBlue that expires on May 31 and would like to fly down and stay with a friend who moved there from CT. I would like to check out the entire metropolitan area and see what kind of vibe I get and see if it's even worth pursuing jobs. And it would be wise to be able to tell prospective employers that I have at least visited the area and know what to expect. With that said, here is how I imagine Houston metro to be like. I have spent HOURS looking around the metro area on Google Maps street view as well. Anyway,please correct me if I'm wrong, or confirm if I'm correct with regard to how I imagine things to be.

I imagine the Houston metro area to have the following characteristics:
  • Beautiful, lush greenery almost everywhere you go.
  • Plenty of breathing room and space, with numerous quiet neighborhoods and more of a suburban feeling, despite being a huge populated city.
  • Often inconsistent clustering of residential and commercial property, due to lack of zoning laws.
  • Lots of concrete and electric transmission towers everywhere.
  • Gray concrete roads almost everywhere.
  • Humidity is so bad between May and September that you don't want to do anything outside (my friend said it's humid even in the winter, and even more humid than south FL....really?)
  • It doesn't matter that I'm a gay Italian Yankee from New England, because the Houston area is very cosmopolitan, and the native population expects there to be many people from all over the nation and world, so they won't even think anything of it; they don't care.
  • There is an equal mix of conservatives and liberals all over the place, but as soon as you leave the metro area, it's almost exclusively conservative/redneck.
  • The crime is bad, but like any other city, it's concentrated in certain areas that are easy to avoid.
  • Most of the housing stock (under $150K) is generally old and may need updating.
  • The rush hour traffic is heavy, but not as bad as southwestern Connecticut, where it takes me 40 minutes just to drive 8.5 miles from work to home.
  • Traffic congestion is heavy, even on regular main roads, boulevards and parking lots are often full to capacity.
  • The general atmosphere is laid back, low stress and generally friendly.
  • Most people don't have Texas accents/twangs.
  • Houston is a blue collar city in general, but there are many white collar professionals as well.
  • All there is to do is go out to restaurants and go shopping (according to many people I talked with).
  • Megachurches all over the place and a strong Bible/Christian culture all over the metro area.
Just a side note....if the traffic congestion/activity is similar to Atlanta, that's a major turn off to me. In the Atlanta area beltway (I-285), every lane is FULL of cars (traveling at full speed though) even at 11:00 PM! Please tell me Houston isn't that bad!

Anyway, please confirm each bullet point as TRUE or FALSE.

Thanks

You are pretty right on. Being gay you will probably enjoy the Montrose district, near downtown, centered around Westheimer st.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:30 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,952,513 times
Quote:

Oh no. Houston's nothing at all like Dallas.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:51 PM

433 posts, read 660,564 times
Whoever is telling him that his views are spot on are either trolls or fools.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston