U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 02:03 PM

142 posts, read 963,678 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to the Houston area from Reno. I am from Chicago so am excited to get back to bigger city living. I have some concerns about areas/schools. My husband's main office will be in Conroe. He will also be traveling up towards the Dallas area. We love the Woodlands, however, cannot afford the house we want (new or newer 4,000 sq. ft) there. We have been looking heavily in the Graystone Hills neighborhood in Conroe where we found a house we love!! The neighborhood is close to shopping schools and my husband's work. Our big concern is what we have heard about the Conroe schools. Are they really that bad? Does anyone know anything about the Lake Conroe areas such as Grand Harbor? I heard that Montgomery schools are the best. My only concern there is that it is too far away from things. I am a stay at home mom who wants to be near preschools, elementary schools, ball fields, etc.? I also want to be in a friendly kid neighborhood with other stay at home moms. Our price range is up to $400,000. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 03:32 PM

1,290 posts, read 5,214,958 times
Try something just a little South of the Woodlands. Maybe Windrose?

Maybe something like this:

20231 Evergreen Springs Ln, Spring, TX 77379-7944 - Windrose Eaglewood Sec 2 Spring

That area is about 10 minutes South of the Woodlands though, so it would be further away, so it might not fit your needs.

How about Bentwater?

Old 12-10-2007, 04:17 PM

My husband looked in Bentwater and really liked it. When I was there a few weeks ago we just drove by and I thought it was too far from shopping, etc. From what Ive seen online, it also looks like mostly retirees. That is why I was wondering if Grand Harbor was any closer to 45 and shopping.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:16 AM

58 posts, read 254,179 times
Some of the Woodlands schools are Conroe ISD. My sons attended College Park HS and we were pretty happy.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:10 AM

1,044 posts, read 2,120,204 times
I think it is just a matter of preference as the pace and lifestyle are a bit different in Lake Conroe compared to The Woodlands. Having visited both areas in the past I too would consider those 2 areas if I ever move to the Houston metro area.

- The Woodlands seems to have many more shops, banks, and restaurants readily available compared to Lake Conroe. However, The Woodlands also seems quite more congested than Lake Conroe. Woodlands is also closer to downtown Houston than Lake Conroe.

- Lake Conroe area is very nice, many friendly people like The Woodlands. Lake Conroe however is more laid back and not as congested as The Woodlands. HWY 105 can experience a bit of traffic during rush hour. People in Lake Conroe area seems to live, dress, and be more overall casual and laid back than the Woodlands. There seems to be less high paying jobs and lack of corporate jobs in the Lake Conroe area compared to The Woodlands. But The Woodlands is only about 15-20 minutes away from Lake Conroe.

In conclusion, if commuting to work wasn't an issue, I would pick Lake Conroe if I wanted to live in a more peaceful, laid back type of lifestyle and didn't have kids. If I had kids and wanted to be more accessible to malls, shops, restaurants, and enjoyed being around more people and recreation opportunities for kids, I would pick The Woodlands.

Again, it's a matter of choice and I don't think you can go wrong with either location.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:14 AM

1,044 posts, read 2,120,204 times
As far as Conroe goes, west of I-45 seems nicer than most areas east of I-45. Yes, there are some areas east of the highway that are nice. But in my opinion, the more west off of I-45 you are the nicer the neighborhoods and probably the lower the crime rate. I would much rather live in Lake Conroe or The Woodlands than Conroe.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:28 AM

does anyone have any first hand information on Geisinger Elementary, Cryar Int. and Conroe high?

Old 12-12-2007, 09:19 PM

Does anyone have children or know anyone who has children attending these schools? It is very important to me in making a decision.

Old 12-13-2007, 04:57 AM

407 posts, read 1,662,068 times
momof3 have you been looking at other web sites to get info on these schools? www.greatschools.net is very good.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:45 AM

Yes, I am always on that website. But I am just wondering why I have only heard or read negative things about Conroe schools, even though they are the same district as the Woodlands. I called Conroe ISD and asked, and of course she told me that they are outstanding schools and only graded lower due to more diversity and that my kids would get the best education. My real question is, if there are a high majority of students with ESL, then won't the teachers time be taken up with those students with mine left to fend for themselves? So, I really want to hear from someone with experience in these schools. I know greatschools.net does not tell the whole story. I read many posts saying how great Tomball ISD is, which Creekside in the Woodlands attends, however according to greatschools.net, Tomball Elem. is rated only a 3! That is lower than the Conroe school I am looking at. So, I am assuming rating is not everything. Sorry so long, just really confused!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>