Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 01:24 PM

29 posts, read 116,562 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has any experience with dance schools in the Sugarland and Houston areas. I'm relocating from DC with my "will be" six-year old this summer and she's been dancing for about 3 years (since she was two). She absolutely loves it, now that she's grown up a bit and actually understands dance. So I'm looking for some recommendations for a good dance school that teaches ballet, tap and jazz classes for her age. I want a well-known school - somewhere we can stick with and where she can advance and participate in recitals. I believe I will be settling in the Sugarland or Oak Forest area but I really don't mind a bit of a drive -we can always sign up for a weekend class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 06:52 PM

433 posts, read 1,930,050 times
I've heard great things about Centerstage & Sugar Land Dance. I have a lot of friends that send their daughters to these (at least these are the 2 that keep popping up). Maybe go check them out while they are in session?

Old 04-29-2011, 05:42 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,493,997 times
Houston Academy of Dance sounds like what you are looking for

"Houston Academy of Dance - Dance instruction for all levels and ages in Houston."

Ps- There's a location in West U as well

Old 04-29-2011, 06:21 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
I can certainly recommend dance schools for adults since I do 3 of them and know others very well but I don't know any for kids. What I wish to tell you is that the style of dance here will vary from what your daughter has been taught back east. Texas has a much different style of all the traditional dances such as the 2 step, west coast and east coast swing and even waltz is so different then how they do it in other locals. I must add that we do it best in Texas though.

Where you come from you will find line dancing to be the most popular with 90% of the whole nights dancing doing so. Here the local big dance clubs do maybe 3 line dances each night, the Cotton Eyed Joe, Boot Scoot and some rappy song I don't know or like but I like the dance.

Just be prepared for this. Your daughter will be relearning some things she thought she already knew. We also have a brand new dance born here 2 months ago called the Gulf Coast Swing which is a combo of west coast and country 2 step which is an in place partner dance. It's quite fun. She will learn our way quick, don't let me scare you. I wish her luck.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:59 PM

860 posts, read 1,585,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I can certainly recommend dance schools for adults since I do 3 of them and know others very well but I don't know any for kids. What I wish to tell you is that the style of dance here will vary from what your daughter has been taught back east. Texas has a much different style of all the traditional dances such as the 2 step, west coast and east coast swing and even waltz is so different then how they do it in other locals. I must add that we do it best in Texas though.

Where you come from you will find line dancing to be the most popular with 90% of the whole nights dancing doing so. Here the local big dance clubs do maybe 3 line dances each night, the Cotton Eyed Joe, Boot Scoot and some rappy song I don't know or like but I like the dance.

Just be prepared for this. Your daughter will be relearning some things she thought she already knew. We also have a brand new dance born here 2 months ago called the Gulf Coast Swing which is a combo of west coast and country 2 step which is an in place partner dance. It's quite fun. She will learn our way quick, don't let me scare you. I wish her luck.
Excuse me, but the OP is looking for a school that teaches ballet, tap and jazz, not C&W or ballroom.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Desert, thank you. But I believe my daughter is pretty set with Ballet, tap and jazz. Looks like there are schools that offer those in Houston as well.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomama View Post
I've heard great things about Centerstage & Sugar Land Dance. I have a lot of friends that send their daughters to these (at least these are the 2 that keep popping up). Maybe go check them out while they are in session?
Chicagomama, thank you very much. I'm visiting first week in June. I will add those to my list for a visit. Thanks!

Old 05-09-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Houston Academy of Dance sounds like what you are looking for

"Houston Academy of Dance - Dance instruction for all levels and ages in Houston."

Ps- There's a location in West U as well
EasilyA, yes, Houston Academy of dance keeps popping up. I'm definitely going to check it out in a few weeks when I visit. Thank you.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:10 PM

469 posts, read 1,100,989 times
My daughter(4yrs old) goes to Robin's Dance studio in Missouri City. We just had her first recital at the Stafford Centre. If you settle in Sugar Land, this would be a good option for you.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liljo22 View Post
My daughter(4yrs old) goes to Robin's Dance studio in Missouri City. We just had her first recital at the Stafford Centre. If you settle in Sugar Land, this would be a good option for you.
Liljo, thank you. I will look into this one too. Just out of curiousity, how much are the classes per month and how often each week does she go to practice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston