U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-05-2014, 03:26 PM
 
20 posts, read 24,940 times
Reputation: 42

Advertisements

We'll be moving to Houston in a few weeks, and are still struggling with the housing search. At first I was worried about finding a home with a reasonable commute to the Rice/Med Center area, and now my main concern is just finding a home that's zoned for an elementary school that my kids will actually be able to attend.

At this stage, we're considering the southwest areas (Bellaire, Meyerland, West U), the Memorial area, and also Sugar Land and Sienna Plantation. I've spoken to administrators at several HISD schools who've told me they could be facing an issue of capped enrollment for the 2014/15 school year, although they won't be able to "officially" cap anything until the first day of school . I just read that Commonwealth in Sugar Land is being capped, and that many of the other schools there are also heavily overenrolled. When I checked around Memorial schools it seemed to be less of an issue, although most homes there are out of our price range.

The last thing I need to do is to sign on the dotted line & move my family into a home in June, and then be told in August that one or both of our children will have to be sent to a different school due to enrollment being capped. Especially because in some of these areas, the alternative school is light years away from the original school in terms of quality.

At this point I just want to find a home in a safe area where my kids can actually attend the neighborhood school they are zoned to. Can anyone steer me toward where that might be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-05-2014, 03:29 PM
 
409 posts, read 637,317 times
Reputation: 986
Mentioning a budget is always important with these types of questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2014, 03:31 PM
 
174 posts, read 346,049 times
Reputation: 120
If you are looking at Sugar Land, you may consider, New Territory, Riverstone and Telfair, all are zoned to exemplary elementary schools.
New Territory is zoned to Brazo Bend and Walker Statation, Riverstone is zoned to Commonwealth, Settlers Way, Austin Parkway and Telfair is zoned to Cornerstone, all the above schools are rated as Exemplary schools in Fort bend ISD.

Last edited by Jonathz; 05-05-2014 at 04:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2014, 04:11 PM
 
Location: Charleston Sc and Western NC
9,274 posts, read 23,676,711 times
Reputation: 4695
Quote:
Originally Posted by frequentmoves49 View Post
We'll be moving to Houston in a few weeks, and are still struggling with the housing search. At first I was worried about finding a home with a reasonable commute to the Rice/Med Center area, and now my main concern is just finding a home that's zoned for an elementary school that my kids will actually be able to attend.

At this stage, we're considering the southwest areas (Bellaire, Meyerland, West U), the Memorial area, and also Sugar Land and Sienna Plantation. I've spoken to administrators at several HISD schools who've told me they could be facing an issue of capped enrollment for the 2014/15 school year, although they won't be able to "officially" cap anything until the first day of school . I just read that Commonwealth in Sugar Land is being capped, and that many of the other schools there are also heavily overenrolled. When I checked around Memorial schools it seemed to be less of an issue, although most homes there are out of our price range.

The last thing I need to do is to sign on the dotted line & move my family into a home in June, and then be told in August that one or both of our children will have to be sent to a different school due to enrollment being capped. Especially because in some of these areas, the alternative school is light years away from the original school in terms of quality.

At this point I just want to find a home in a safe area where my kids can actually attend the neighborhood school they are zoned to. Can anyone steer me toward where that might be?
Since you mentioned Memorial, I would suggest Meadowood having the least chance of a capping. Its never been a problem in the area, but with all the high rises and townhomes being built, Wilchester Elem might feel a pinch very soon. As well as Memorial Middle. But all they would do is shift you around the south side, all the schools are fairly close, and all safe and good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2014, 05:21 PM
 
30 posts, read 35,349 times
Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by frequentmoves49 View Post
We'll be moving to Houston in a few weeks, and are still struggling with the housing search. At first I was worried about finding a home with a reasonable commute to the Rice/Med Center area, and now my main concern is just finding a home that's zoned for an elementary school that my kids will actually be able to attend.

At this stage, we're considering the southwest areas (Bellaire, Meyerland, West U), the Memorial area, and also Sugar Land and Sienna Plantation. I've spoken to administrators at several HISD schools who've told me they could be facing an issue of capped enrollment for the 2014/15 school year, although they won't be able to "officially" cap anything until the first day of school . I just read that Commonwealth in Sugar Land is being capped, and that many of the other schools there are also heavily overenrolled. When I checked around Memorial schools it seemed to be less of an issue, although most homes there are out of our price range.

The last thing I need to do is to sign on the dotted line & move my family into a home in June, and then be told in August that one or both of our children will have to be sent to a different school due to enrollment being capped. Especially because in some of these areas, the alternative school is light years away from the original school in terms of quality.

At this point I just want to find a home in a safe area where my kids can actually attend the neighborhood school they are zoned to. Can anyone steer me toward where that might be?

We're considering a similar move, though I think we've ruled out the city (Meyerland possibly, but West U and Bellaire are out of reach). Can I ask: who did you contact regarding schools? Is it possible to see the facilities (after hours for example)?

For those with local experience: any feedback on the type of questions to ask? I hadn't even considered the assigned school for a neighborhood would be capped...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2014, 05:39 PM
 
20 posts, read 24,940 times
Reputation: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathz View Post
If you are looking at Sugar Land, you may consider, New Territory, Riverstone and Telfair, all are zoned to exemplary elementary schools.
New Territory is zoned to Brazo Bend and Walker Statation, Riverstone is zoned to Commonwealth, Settlers Way, Austin Parkway and Telfair is zoned to Cornerstone, all the above schools are rated as Exemplary schools in Fort bend ISD.
Jonathz, Commonwealth has already said they're not allowing any new students for next year, and I believe they're sending their overflow to Austin Parkway & Colony Bend, which means those will be super crowded too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2014, 05:42 PM
 
20 posts, read 24,940 times
Reputation: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glossa View Post
Mentioning a budget is always important with these types of questions.
Budget is 3600 max for rent. We were hoping for something under 3200, but at this point I'll deal with being house poor if it can get us in a zone for a good school that's not going to boot us out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2014, 05:51 PM
 
Location: Katy,TX.
3,570 posts, read 7,191,789 times
Reputation: 3318
Quote:
Originally Posted by frequentmoves49 View Post
Budget is 3600 max for rent. We were hoping for something under 3200, but at this point I'll deal with being house poor if it can get us in a zone for a good school that's not going to boot us out.
Oh geez, what's your definition of a good school? I'm sure there are plenty in your price range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2014, 05:52 PM
 
20 posts, read 24,940 times
Reputation: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawtucketpatriot View Post
We're considering a similar move, though I think we've ruled out the city (Meyerland possibly, but West U and Bellaire are out of reach). Can I ask: who did you contact regarding schools? Is it possible to see the facilities (after hours for example)?

For those with local experience: any feedback on the type of questions to ask? I hadn't even considered the assigned school for a neighborhood would be capped...
In most cases I spoke with the registrar or a secretary. It was a realtor who suggested that I call the schools prior to making a decision about a house because of the capping issue. So I basically just asked the admins if they felt we would face any problems getting into the school based on enrollment. Most gave me vague "Well it could definitely happen, but we won't know officially until the first day of school," answers. But one registrar told me flat out that it was a VERY high likelihood my first grader would be sent to a different school than the one the house was zoned for because their kindergarten classes were at capacity last year, and they've already had new people move into the neighborhood and pre-register for first grade. It's really disheartening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2014, 05:57 PM
 
2,042 posts, read 2,380,366 times
Reputation: 2356
Settlers Way is top 30 in the chronicle ranking. Colony Meadows is also top 20.

I do question those numbers, is a couple points that important? If you ask me, I rather have my kid go to a kid that is not overcrowded and is top 50 than go to a top 5 school that is way overcrowded.

CWE was like 250+ students overcrowded in a 750 capacity school. How good is it when they are packed like sardines?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top