Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 12:01 PM

30 posts, read 44,370 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a move to Houston for a job a TMC. I've done a lot of research: commute, schools, etc. and have settled on looking at Sugar Land, Sienna Plantation and Meyerland (a bit apples/oranges, but the commute is brilliant and we're OK with older houses if they have the perks for the right price). Sugar Land neighborhoods and HOAs seem so diverse: I was hoping someone here had insight. Budget: up to $600K for something perfect, but prefer $500K as a ceiling. Excellent, safe schools are a requirement and a pool is very high on my list (hey, I'm moving from the northeast to hot, humid: I want the perks).

Here's what we're considering, and my main question is people's thoughts about retaining value. Yes, I know: no crystal ball, but I suspect locals can see trends I can't determine with a snapshot. I need to prioritize for a short visit, so hopefully feedback can help!

First Colony, mostly in the southwest/west part. Can't see any downside here other than commute. This is our top choice so far.

First Colony, eastern side. Older, but renovated houses. Dulles seems OK. Stable desirability and home values?

New Territory, east side and close to 59. Schools look great, only downside is commute. Values stable here? Risk of overbuilding with Telfair, etc?

Greatwood. Awfully far, but some good values. Same concern with New Territory.

Other Sugar Land: Thoughts on Sugar Lakes area? How about Sugar Mill (specifically Misty Lakes)? Just noticed a couple houses that meet my criteria. Some posts here suggest staying south of 90A, but there must be pockets of nice housing options, right?

Sienna Plantation. Elementary and High School look good, Middle school so-so at best. Curious about thoughts on long term value here. At least New Territory and Greatwood seem connected to a pretty vibrant burb. Sienna just seems isolated.

Meyerland. Everything seems great here, but not many houses in our price range zoned to Bellaire that have all the perks and goodies. Worry about the flooding risk a bit too.

Thanks in advance. I've read opinions on all of these areas (except sugar lakes and sugar mill: fewer comments), some pretty old. Mostly looking on current thoughts of areas trending in the right direction, especially since it appears I'll be buying into some recently inflated prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 01:27 PM

392 posts, read 754,543 times
Why don't you consider Telfair too?

Old 05-06-2014, 01:41 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,838,516 times
If it were me -- at $500k -- I would look at Telfair first.

Sugar Lakes is nice too, but older and it seems homes don't come on the market much.
Sugar Creek is a possibility as well, the older custom homes.

Also New Territory does have great schools and I think values will hold, even go up, when Sugar Land annexes it.

At your budget I'd look at all of those before anything else in the Sugar Land area.

Old 05-06-2014, 03:02 PM

30 posts, read 44,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY to LA View Post
Why don't you consider Telfair too?
I had, but prices seem really high for what you get and...(little embarrassed to say this) generally no pools. In fact, a lot of the houses on Zillow seem to have pretty barren back yards. I guess it's relatively new, so that's to be expected. I'm really looking forward to a back yard dominated by a patio and pool (I've mowed lawns for the past 30 years)...

Thanks for the input: I'll open my mind a bit!

Old 05-06-2014, 03:45 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,285,161 times
We love Sienna. The "isolation" if you call it that is all of a mile and a half. I look at it as a feature. It keeps people out of the neighborhood that don't have specific reason to be there. The new toll road extension is great, and the connection to 59 through LJ Parkway/Sienna Ranch is quick.

Nice homes, large community, with lots of amenities. Great schools. Baines is a bit of a challenge, but it's really more like two schools in one. You'll get out of it what you put into it, plus the zoning is set to change shortly.

Certainly faster to the TMC than anywhere in Sugar Land.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:46 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,018,396 times
I think you have it nailed with your first choice. First Colony zoned to Clements will get you the best schools.

In that budget I'd look for homes zoned to this trio: Colony Meadows/Fort Settlement/Clements

The values of the homes in that trio are going absolutely nuts and really have so much going for them that I see it at the forefront of the appreciation wave in the Sugar Land area for a long time coming.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:50 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,193,859 times
Also, get off of Zillow and go to www.har.com. It feed directly off the MLS system. Zillow, Trulia, etc. feed off HAR, but updates are random and sporadic- so they could show a house that closed two month ago. Might as well go to the source.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:47 PM

143 posts, read 188,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawtucketpatriot View Post
I had, but prices seem really high for what you get and...(little embarrassed to say this) generally no pools. In fact, a lot of the houses on Zillow seem to have pretty barren back yards. I guess it's relatively new, so that's to be expected. I'm really looking forward to a back yard dominated by a patio and pool (I've mowed lawns for the past 30 years)...

Maximum budget is 600K. If I may suggest a solution for Telfair:

Spend 500K to buy a Perry/Village/Highland/Darling home in Telfair and use the remaining money to build a pool in the backyard before move in, if you prefer a new house.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:35 AM
bu2

24,073 posts, read 14,869,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawtucketpatriot View Post

Don't know that there is a risk of over-building, but when you buy on the outskirts of development, you will always find yourselves competing with new housing when you want to sell. With First Colony there is less of that risk. There won't be new construction a mile away competing with your 5-10 year old house.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:38 AM

90 posts, read 161,841 times
I would argue against the newer developments. We are in a period of rapid home price appreciation, and during those periods I tend to avoid "watershed" areas. If there is price depreciation, those areas will be hit first and hit hardest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston