Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 04:32 AM

433 posts, read 660,284 times

Advertisements

Yes, wild animals are alive and on the move all over our planet. Not sure what to tell you? Keep your eyes open when you step outside which you should always do....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 06:13 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,135,442 times
We have snakes in the Kingwood Humble area too. Quite a few have been making their appearance lately. We tend to get coral snakes that show themselves. Snakes take care of the rodents. Cats take care of the snakes. Problem solved. Get a cat.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:53 AM

232 posts, read 462,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
We have snakes in the Kingwood Humble area too. Quite a few have been making their appearance lately. We tend to get coral snakes that show themselves. Snakes take care of the rodents. Cats take care of the snakes. Problem solved. Get a cat.
Good point. There were a lot of Ferrel cats when I lived in the loop yet I don't see any in The Woodlands. I remember one of the proprietors of a B&B we stayed at while on vacation told us she has cats on the property for that very reason.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:02 AM

232 posts, read 462,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo45 View Post
Yes, wild animals are alive and on the move all over our planet. Not sure what to tell you? Keep your eyes open when you step outside which you should always do....
We should keep our eyes open while walking outside?

I'm asking if others in The Woodlands have noticed a lot of snakes coming out lately especially since learning about what has happened to one of our neighbors. Can't believe others wouldn't be concerned if they found out that someone on their block was bitten by a poisonous snake (that they obviously didn't see) in their yard. The big ones are easy to spot, the little ones...not so much...and it was a baby snake that bit them. Have no doubt they were aware that wild animals were alive and on the planet.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:21 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,595,663 times
Try living on a canal on Lake Houston. Alligators, snakes and beaver, oh my!

Old 05-07-2014, 07:33 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,402,183 times
The easiest thing to do is get complacent about snakes, living in New Mexico you tend to learn to scan the ground when you go outside and look before you reach. Luckily snakes tend to warn you they are around with a hiss too. Ive not seen any since I moved to TX but I know theyre out there.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:47 AM

366 posts, read 797,009 times
Friend of mine found this yesterday in the Woodlands. Not exactly sure what neighborhood though.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:01 AM

129 posts, read 170,894 times
Snakes eat roaches, mice and rats, rodent droppings can carry deadly diseases. I prefer the snakes outside than the other creatures in my house. I try to get as close to snakes as I can for photography, I use to try and catch them, but they're very fast, they hate being around humans, and usually get away. It's hard to get within 12 feet of one. For the people who've gotten close enough to be bitten Im curious what their secret is.

To avoid them... based on my experience most the poisonous ones around here like damp/wet grass and are more active in morning and rainy nights. Keeping the grass short helps you see them and deters them a bit. The most common way I think people sneak up on them and get bitten is if they have a pile of junk or debris that's been sitting in the yard a while. Then one day the person decides to rummage through or clean up the area while a snake is sleeping in there. Piles of flower pots, bricks, and wood are places to be careful of.

A snake isn't going to just charge towards you, leap up and bite you, especially a baby, I dont think a baby can even reach above your shoe.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:23 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,595,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nervouslaughter View Post
Friend of mine found this yesterday in the Woodlands. Not exactly sure what neighborhood though.
Well, the good think about coral snakes is that you practically have to attempt to give them mouth to mouth in order to get a venomous bite. Ok, that's a stretch; however, bites are so rare from coral snakes that they stopped making anti-venom about a decade ago.

As an adult, you're not going to receive a venomous bite by a coral snake. The real fear is having a pet that is chewing on one or a child that is actively handling one.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:27 AM

65 posts, read 88,144 times
How about Cypress ? does Cypress also have snakes ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston