Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 07:04 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,122,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmj View Post
Everyone thought the first black president was going to signal the official end of racism in this country.
Whoever thought that was living in some fantasy world. Racism is alive and well throughout the world. Always will.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:30 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,562,489 times
What a crazy story! Looking at that kid and that class, I would not have taken the kid's phone. That is not to say in any way that she deserved it or that he had a right to do that. He didn't.

But I've worked in some rough schools and I've been through all kinds of behavioral management and behavior assessment training and coursework in grad school and at the district level. I would NEVER snatch something from a student. Cell phones are banned for use in the classroom and the district code of conduct say that they will be confiscated and parents must come to the school and pay a $15 fine (Texas law). However, if I were her, especially as a substitute. I would have gone to the classroom phone and called for the office or campus police officer to handle that.

She is a veteran teacher, she HAS to have sat through training on what to do when a student has an illegal item or substance in the classroom. You let the office handle it. If they don't, you go work somewhere else. Houston school districts have a teacher shortage and pay is going up because of it. You don't need to waste time in a district that doesn't support you.

I've taught in Alief, South Central LA, and a housing project in Austin. I've been at this for 12 years and even had students with severe behavior disorders. I have never had a student come at me like that. I'm trained to handle things without my hands. But again, the student had no right to attack her and I hope he gets the punishment he so obviously needs.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:23 PM

498 posts, read 837,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaMia411 View Post
The bigger problem besides this so called boy pushing an elderly woman ( trying to act tough ), is the fact that NOBODY in that classroom did anything about it. Everyone was consumed by recording the incident with their cell phones. What a shame this country has become.
This might be the one exception to the rule due to the boy's size. At least the video was (per reports) immediately shown to school officials as soon as the period ended. I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiment though. It always seems that people are more worried about taking pictures than helping. Take the Boston marathon bombing. Why do pictures like this even exist: Google Image Search Results: Boston Marathon Bombing 2013? The clowns taking pictures of the mayhem should have put down their cameras and helped with the victims. Seems like there are endless examples of this on the news every night.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:31 PM

2,188 posts, read 3,215,538 times
Kids will be kids in terms of watching....this generation makes money with viral videos so no one was going to step in....

Plus...when u where in school and that kid did that you think a smaller person will try to do something to him?

Old 05-17-2014, 08:35 PM

705 posts, read 1,259,636 times
The FLOTUS made a commencement speech this pass week addressing the fact that segregation is alive and well in America due to whites moving out of cities into suburbs. This past week a video here in Houston surface of a student in a majority minority school shoving a teacher who was half his size. Meanwhile, his classmates sat there and laughed and recorded the incident. These schools are broke, but the problem isn't because whites moved away.

My original comment, even though I bought up the FLOTUS name, had nothing to do with race. Apparently you cannot mention the POTUS or his wife without being accused of being racist. Unless you're praising them.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:08 PM

2,188 posts, read 3,215,538 times
Conspiracy...white start an area..leave when it darkens, realize they left an area with great access and then they come back at a higher price

Last edited by hbcu; 05-17-2014 at 10:21 PM..

Old 05-18-2014, 07:23 AM

74 posts, read 122,269 times
The Obama's had nothing to do with this incident so there was no need to mention them. It is because of backwards thinking that laws regarding racism are in effect in the first place.

Now on to the story at hand, this student had no right to put his hands on anyone. If he was breaking a rule and the teacher took his phone, he needs to deal with the consequences of his behavior. Once in highschool, ( a school some would consider bad but I won't mention the name) a student decided to argue with a teacher during class and other students immediately put a stop to it. They told the boy that this man is a teacher and you need to show some respect.

One thing about this assault incident and the negative comment(s) which followed is that people have no sense of respect for others. We have to implement laws which teach adults and children how to treat others with respect. Albeit, the offender in the story is a child and should know better, however what is the adult's ( one who made the racist post) excuse?

Old 05-18-2014, 08:19 AM

498 posts, read 837,363 times
Would this be considered a "hate crime"?

If your first impulse was to say "no" then reverse the race of the two actors involved and see if your answer still remains the same.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:39 AM

705 posts, read 1,259,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchryies View Post
The Obama's had nothing to do with this incident so there was no need to mention them. It is because of backwards thinking that laws regarding racism are in effect in the first place.
I can mention them in any post for any reason I want, as long as it correlates with the topic. They are the leaders of our country right now, what they do and say affects the citizens. I've explained why I mentioned the O word and how it relates to this story. It wouldn't have matter if Bush or Hilary Clinton made the same comments, I would of inserted their name at the beginning.

This incident just happen to have been recorded and uploaded to social media so the world can see. This is not an isolated incident at this one school.

And No I don't think this was a hate crime. He would of pushed anyone that was in his way. I have a feeling he hasn't heard the word No once hit a certain height and weight.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:41 AM

74 posts, read 122,269 times
Assault-yes, hate crime- No. I say this is a prime example of lack of home training and respect for authority figures/rules. There is no one that I know that would condone what this child did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: