Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 09:24 PM

11 posts, read 20,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiovo View Post
Cinco Ranch or Pine Mill Ranch you might be able to find a home for $200k but that's not going to include MUD or HOA. Our first home 10 years ago was $150k and with MUD, school, and property taxes and around 5% interest rate it came out to a around $1400 a month not including HOA. There are a few neighborhoods around the 1093 and 1464 area (West Oaks Village, Grand Mission, Lakemont, Mission Sierra, Twin Oaks, and also some close to 99) that will have homes from the $110-150k range that will fit your criteria. It's a growing area with plenty of amenities close by. There's actually a lot of cute little neighborhoods off 1464. That area is really changing and developing.
Thank you so much, I really appreciate all help I can get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 10:12 PM

967 posts, read 2,610,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xocho View Post
Thanks so much for the info, unfortunately this area zip 77450 ranges from 394K-2M and nothing under West Memorial.
Where are you getting the info that 77450 starts at $394k??? Are you looking at HAR? You should!

Just a 1 minute search showed 38 properties is 77450 that are $150k or less...
( I can't copy/paste the page... but I just typed in single family, max $150k, zip 77450.)

Not saying that 77450 (South Katy) is where you want to be... just that I know the area, and knew it didn't "start" at $394k!!! So you may want to reconsider whatever source you are using.

If I understand right, your reluctance to an HOA or MUD is solely price. It will be a tough order to find a $150k property with NO HOA fee or MUD. But what you can look for is an older home (30 yrs old?) in an older neighborhood and at least get a low HOA and little or no MUD. Remember, MUD's pay for infrastructure in NEW neighborhoods.

For example, my first house was in Cypress (zip 77065) Built in '81. No MUD, there was an HOA fee of $240 a year (yeah, averages $20/mo) Nothing fancy, but was decent. Safe neighborhood, good schools.

I think if you open up to the possibility of a HOA fee but in an older neighborhood, you might find something you like and can afford.

Please use Houston Real estate, Houston homes, Houston Realtors - HAR.com to do your research and not Zillow, etc...

Old 05-31-2014, 07:16 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,132,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by descovy View Post
Where are you getting the info that 77450 starts at $394k??? Are you looking at HAR? You should!

( I can't copy/paste the page... but I just typed in single family, max $150k, zip 77450.)

Not saying that 77450 (South Katy) is where you want to be... just that I know the area, and knew it didn't "start" at $394k!!! So you may want to reconsider whatever source you are using.

If I understand right, your reluctance to an HOA or MUD is solely price. It will be a tough order to find a $150k property with NO HOA fee or MUD. But what you can look for is an older home (30 yrs old?) in an older neighborhood and at least get a low HOA and little or no MUD. Remember, MUD's pay for infrastructure in NEW neighborhoods.

For example, my first house was in Cypress (zip 77065) Built in '81. No MUD, there was an HOA fee of $240 a year (yeah, averages $20/mo) Nothing fancy, but was decent. Safe neighborhood, good schools.

I think if you open up to the possibility of a HOA fee but in an older neighborhood, you might find something you like and can afford.

Please use Houston Real estate, Houston homes, Houston Realtors - HAR.com to do your research and not Zillow, etc...
You forgot to sort for status, there are only 8 houses 'active' south of the I-10 and east of the 99 listed under $150k and I can practically guarantee most of those, if they're any good, already have multiple offers.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:34 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,392,322 times
Quote:
Thanks so much for the info, unfortunately this area zip 77450 ranges from 394K-2M and nothing under West Memorial.
It's a neighborhood called West Memorial in Katy. And they have a few homes in that budget. It's a small pocket neighborhood. There are three homes in budget available right one. One is 130,000.

It's at I10 and 99. ( south of i10) they go fast so you have to jump on them.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:16 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,132,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
It's a neighborhood called West Memorial in Katy. And they have a few homes in that budget. It's a small pocket neighborhood. There are three homes in budget available right one. One is 130,000.

That's the neighborhood I'd recommend too, or next door in Nottingham country if you can swing it.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:21 AM

967 posts, read 2,610,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyYot View Post
You forgot to sort for status, there are only 8 houses 'active' south of the I-10 and east of the 99 listed under $150k and I can practically guarantee most of those, if they're any good, already have multiple offers.
I wouldn't say I forgot... Just that I wanted to show a "snapshot" of what $150k buys in 77450.

Obviously, if the OP is interested in the area, they will have to put in all the considerations, etc... It wasn't my intent to find the OP their perfect home, just to open their eyes that 77450 does not "start at $394k"

Old 05-31-2014, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by descovy View Post

OmG I don't even know myself! It was really late and I was sleepy. I'm so overwhelmed by so many things right now that I think I'm loosing my mind, hehe! Maybe from a builder's web???

I really hope so descovy, then I guess I'll have to considered lower MUD and HOA because some I looked at are in places people often mention in these forums as dangerous, perhaps????

But what about Jersey Village? What is so bad about Aldine and Alief besides schools? How about Northwest Houston, what's safer out there in my low budget for right now? First time I see mentioning Cypress, but regardless hubby won't do it, don't ask me why.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post

Hey Meyerland thanks! I did see that and they are looking good for starter home. Broker is booked for tomorrow, we will see when open to go check them out, and thanks again!

Old 06-01-2014, 07:29 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,392,322 times
Quote:
Hey Meyerland thanks! I did see that and they are looking good for starter home. Broker is booked for tomorrow, we will see when open to go check them out, and thanks again!
The homes in Aliefisd that are zoned to Rees elementary are pretty good. Rees is an excellent school that is often overlooked. But the middle and high schools are not good, so you would have to move at that time.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:38 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,267,339 times
You dont need an HOA to keep an area residential, all you need are deed restrictions.

The absolute best neighborhoods in Houston pretty much have no HOA....Riveroaks, Memorial, West U, Heights, etc...all have no or very few HOA's, but do have strong deed restrictions.

I think deed restrictions are far preferred to the HOA...I don't need people telling me not to park a boat in front of my house overnight, or any of their other stupid rules.

Ill take the deed restrictions to protect my property and do without the HOA all day long!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Yeah, in a city without zoning, HOAs are what keep the neighborhood residential.

If the OP's mortgage tops out at $1200, with everything (I am assuming insurance and taxes) - then budget is $140K-$150K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston