Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2014, 03:55 PM

36 posts, read 56,065 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to SE Houston and considering Friendswood for my family that includes school age children. I'll be visiting the area on business during the next couple of months and I'm wondering what are some places I might go to get a feel for the community? I keep reading that the area has a more "small town feel" so perhaps some local bars/restaurants, outdoor areas, parks, local drives, etc. that I can see what everyone is talking about. I'll only be there during the weekday. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 05:06 PM

26 posts, read 50,035 times
Hello,

If you look at map of friendswood on google maps, I would stay south of FM 528 and FM 518. Avoid communities near heritage park area off El Dorado.

Best of luck!

Old 05-31-2014, 08:55 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortitude82 View Post
Hello,

If you look at map of friendswood on google maps, I would stay south of FM 528 and FM 518. Avoid communities near heritage park area off El Dorado.

Best of luck!
^^
That's the epitome of the boonies, the dividing line for ''diversity'' and probably even the school district. If I were looking there I might as well look in Alvin so I could at least have some land for livestock.

I lived in the old section of Heritage Park back in the day, and there was nothing wrong with it. Explored there recently and not a whole lot has changed. It's quiet and kept up well enough. It really is almost as diverse as SW Houston, but without the crime. Mall traffic can be pretty bad on weekends.

For all that local 'stuff' you're looking for, the Clear Lake area is 100% better than Friendswood. However Friendswood has much better parks for the kids. Also has newer homes.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:03 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,268,773 times
Stephenson park

Old 06-01-2014, 10:45 AM

1,743 posts, read 3,821,369 times
Here's a good way to get a "vibe" for Friendswood. In your current town drive to Chili's, TGI Friday's, Home Depot, Walmart, Target, Buffalo Wild Wings, Subway, a couple of random nail shops and dry cleaners, Michaels, Office Depot, Starbucks and McDonalds.

Bam....you've got the vibe.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:06 AM

26 posts, read 50,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
^^
That's the epitome of the boonies, the dividing line for ''diversity'' and probably even the school district. If I were looking there I might as well look in Alvin so I could at least have some land for livestock.

I lived in the old section of Heritage Park back in the day, and there was nothing wrong with it. Explored there recently and not a whole lot has changed. It's quiet and kept up well enough. It really is almost as diverse as SW Houston, but without the crime. Mall traffic can be pretty bad on weekends.

For all that local 'stuff' you're looking for, the Clear Lake area is 100% better than Friendswood. However Friendswood has much better parks for the kids. Also has newer homes.

Heritage park back in the day maybe different. I recently moved out late last year and during the time I was there, I heard of several break-ins, one being at my next door neighbors house. There are definitely better neighborhoods in f'wood than heritage park.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:22 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times
There really aren't any bars in Friendswood proper. Restaurants - Perry's, Ellie's, Madres, Lunas, Birraportetti's.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:55 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortitude82 View Post
Heritage park back in the day maybe different. I recently moved out late last year and during the time I was there, I heard of several break-ins, one being at my next door neighbors house. There are definitely better neighborhoods in f'wood than heritage park.
That's too bad and it's true there are better neighborhoods there.

There are also worse ones, such as Forest Bend.

Old 06-01-2014, 02:30 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,695,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston321 View Post
Here's a good way to get a "vibe" for Friendswood. In your current town drive to Chili's, TGI Friday's, Home Depot, Walmart, Target, Buffalo Wild Wings, Subway, a couple of random nail shops and dry cleaners, Michaels, Office Depot, Starbucks and McDonalds.

Bam....you've got the vibe.
That pretty much sums it up.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:10 PM

61 posts, read 127,730 times
I live in Friendswood. I would head to Dunn Brother's coffee on Friendswood Drive (FM 518) to get the Friendswood "vibe". IMO, Friendswood does have a small town feel to it. If you are thinking of moving to Friendswood and have children who are school-aged, it is important to note that not all of Friendswood is in Friendswood ISD. When you search for homes on har.com, be sure to check "Friendswood ISD" if you would like to see homes in FISD. Neighborhoods like Heritage Park and Forest Bend are NOT in FISD. Homes are generally more expensive in FISD than in surrounding areas, but we love the schools here, and we believe paying the premium on our home is worth it. If you want a new home, you will need to spend at least $350K in Friendswood ISD. West Ranch is the new large subdivision here. If you want a home that is 10-20 years old, you're looking at around $100 per square foot. For a 25 year old or older home, you can find homes for less than that. Homes (like in most of Houston) are selling really quickly right now in Friendswood, so when you're ready to buy, you should jump on anything you like. If you happen to be around on a Friday evening, they are having concerts in Stevenson Park right now, also, and that would be a great way to feel the Friendswood "vibe".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: