Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2014, 04:30 AM

4,287 posts, read 7,985,590 times

Advertisements

How exactly do the HOV lanes on the Katy Tollway work on I-10? Can just anyone drive in there or do they have to have a toll transponder even if they're HOV?

My friends & I drove there a few weeks ago & there was a traffic queue on I-10 so we hopped into the HOV lanes and stayed in the HOV lanes. Lo & behold, last week my friend gets a $34.26 toll violation notice. What gives?

At first I thought we were driving the wrong direction for rush hour but online at https://www.hctra.org/tollroads/

It says that HOVs are granted usage during peak hours in BOTH directions. So what gives? Why did we get a toll violation notice when there were three of us in the car? Anyone know what's going on & what I should now do?

Or is this a case of false advertising by the Harris County Toll Road Authority?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 06:40 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,186,711 times
Default Kind of...

The HOV lanes are not always free, but it should be noted on the lighted signs. The lanes will either be HOV on the left, and always EZTAG on the right. After 8:00 PM, there is always a toll, and all weekend long as well. During the week, the ride in will be HOV for certain hours only, then $1.00 other hours. The same goes for the outbound lanes.

At $34.00, consider it cheap, and ask your friend to pay up. Some toll violators on this forum have been hit with $450 fines for riding solo.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:54 AM

682 posts, read 1,930,820 times
If you were on it during the peak hours on a weekday, were you in the correct lane? If you were in the toll lane and didn't have a tag then you will be charged the tolls along with the fees for not having a tag to pay.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:05 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,997,904 times
When you go through the enforcement plazas there are VERY clearly marked lanes for HOV and for EZTAG. There are also several reminders along the way of which lane is for what, with plenty of warning before you get to the enforcement plazas. EZTAG to the right, HOV to the left. In between plazas it doesn't matter what lane you are in, but come the plaza you better be in the correct one.

You could probably fight that one though and say you made an honest mistake. Out of towners probably aren't expecting the hotlane type setup and can easily assume they are both HOV lanes. I'm sure it happens all the time and if it clearly shows multiple people in the car I wouldn't think it would be a problem.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:50 AM

705 posts, read 1,251,928 times
The Katy Toll is free for HOV M-F from 5am-11am and 2pm-8pm. But like posters have stated, you have to be the in HOV lane which is the left lane. It doesn't matter if you have 10 people in the vehicle, if you're not in the correct lane you will get charged.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:03 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,667,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haudi View Post
When you go through the enforcement plazas there are VERY clearly marked lanes for HOV and for EZTAG. There are also several reminders along the way of which lane is for what, with plenty of warning before you get to the enforcement plazas. EZTAG to the right, HOV to the left. In between plazas it doesn't matter what lane you are in, but come the plaza you better be in the correct one.

You could probably fight that one though and say you made an honest mistake. Out of towners probably aren't expecting the hotlane type setup and can easily assume they are both HOV lanes. I'm sure it happens all the time and if it clearly shows multiple people in the car I wouldn't think it would be a problem.
What he said. It is very clearly marked. You drive under the eztag reader things. Go buy an easy tag. It is 32 bucks. It is not like you parked in a tow zone, got dinged for a ticket, and then towed.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:20 AM
fnh

2,887 posts, read 3,881,688 times
Personally I think that if your friend calls them and explains the situation they will forgive the fine. Despite the markings and signage, it is not always evident where to go before it's too late. Sure the HOV lanes seem obvious when you're used to them, but it's almost like a secret handshake to figure them out initially. Good luck.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:10 PM

18,040 posts, read 25,057,949 times
Jesus Christ... is that the solution to Houston's traffic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston