Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 10:02 PM

14 posts, read 24,843 times

Advertisements

Is there any new reason to believe that now in houston they are doing better job on stucco homes....I am buying a new stucco home and I wish someone with experience good and/or bad guide me...Also please also tell me how costly is the maintenance. ..... Please please please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 03:06 PM

I am finally deciding on a brick stone house....After one month of struggle on deciding what I want based on various factors....

Houston is humid
houston the land moves results in lot of structural movement which results in cracks....which when followed by storm may result in water seepage...however they have weep screens at bottom....on long term high maintenance and structural damage is a higher possibility. ..Most of the home inspector agencies didn't recommend it for houston....even the builder construction manager and design center people had similar thoughts....They offer it because people like it...maintenance is mainly yearly inspection for cracks, fill them and also color at least once 5 to 6 years....comparatively high maintenance. ...it's always owner decision....and how much money you can spend....it's approx 20000 in abt 10 years for maintenance. ...for 3800 Sq ft house

Old 06-07-2014, 04:40 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,191,612 times
Not to mention that a lot of relo companies will not agree to pay closing costs, etc. on a stucco.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:35 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,693,701 times
If done right it can last for a very long time. It just depends. Stucco homes are everywhere in Houston.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:29 PM

Default Stucco Home

Please find attachments.

Also please check if the provide what kind of warrant on stucco.

normally 1 year is standard but real problem starts after couple of years.

If you like it you should go for it, maintenance is little higher and you have to be proactive to resolve any stucco cracks and maintain it.

The key is how the contractor does your work.

What I heard in todays market everyone is hurry infact in real hurry. Would they do it right is just simple luck.

No one has standard codes or practices everything depends on contractor..

A lot of handbook on stucco or guidelines are available but I didn't find my builder guidance that detailed.

If you are millionaire you wont care .....

Old 06-08-2014, 08:30 AM

Why builders don't provide stucco warranty....If they are that assured.....Also they charge more for stucco because of its look however it costs less overall....

A lot of new construction in last 5 years has stucco but I heard no one backing it up saying anything abt it's worksmanship....

Old 06-08-2014, 02:37 PM

399 posts, read 641,426 times
cheryljohns- Please know your facts before sharing information. Relocation will not allow the old fake stucco. Which is Exterior insulation and finishing system (EIFS). As far as I am aware all newly constructed homes over the past 5 years or so use real traditional stucco. The traditional application of stucco and lath occurs in three coats — the scratch coat, the brown coat and the finish coat. The two base coats of plaster are either hand-applied or machine sprayed. The finish coat can be troweled smooth, hand-textured, floated to a sand finish or sprayed.

I have yet to see a relo company frown upon this type of stucco.

How to Tell Synthetic EIFS From Real Stucco - YouTube

Old 06-08-2014, 04:17 PM

8 posts, read 18,365 times
Well we moved to houston last year with a relocation package and was told from the first call that stucco exterior houses of any kind could not be considered, which our relo realtor reinforced.. Just my personal experiance

Old 06-08-2014, 05:34 PM

399 posts, read 641,426 times
Interesting... My personal experience has been that while some relocation say no initially. They allow when they realize it is truly real stucco they allow. Curious who your relocation company was.... Do you mind sharing?

Old 06-08-2014, 06:10 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,191,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasroots77 View Post
cheryljohns- Please know your facts before sharing information. Relocation will not allow the old fake stucco. Which is Exterior insulation and finishing system (EIFS). As far as I am aware all newly constructed homes over the past 5 years or so use real traditional stucco. The traditional application of stucco and lath occurs in three coats — the scratch coat, the brown coat and the finish coat. The two base coats of plaster are either hand-applied or machine sprayed. The finish coat can be troweled smooth, hand-textured, floated to a sand finish or sprayed.

I have yet to see a relo company frown upon this type of stucco.

How to Tell Synthetic EIFS From Real Stucco - YouTube
Heard it from the horses' mouths - NO STUCCO AT ALL. Of course, they might have forgotten to consult with you, before they disallowed it. I have only run across a couple that will allow the real stucco.

Last edited by cheryjohns; 06-08-2014 at 06:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston