Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 02:07 PM

670 posts, read 1,442,022 times

Advertisements

BP is doing the early incentive packages as well, and hiring has slowed down. OpEx in my group is cut quite a bit next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 02:11 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cockermom View Post
Makes total sense and it's probably what the other major O&G companies will be doing as well. Just a matter of when. Any idea on what is deemed an appropriate age for early retirement packages? Is it 55 and older?
Late 60's, I think.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:43 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,792,835 times
Once again you're just clueless or in a bubble? Where are you in CVX, in ETC? ETC had a town hall this week. Layoffs (ROM) are taking place right now and their last day is Feb 1st-2015. Talking about 10-15% for now and if Siegele said something else is just pure PR BS. Use OneSearch for a change, really a great tool.
By the way in California (San Ramon) is a legal requirement to make layoff public if more than 50 people. Watch the announcement :-) And yes, retirement is part of the cycle, but not the fix.
[mod edit-rude]

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Per our town hall meeting on yesterday, Chevron WILL NOT be laying anyone off. Instead, they will be offering people of the appropriate age early retirement packages. There is going to be somewhat of a hiring freeze, but over the course of five years, people, especially college kids, will still be hired (only less than previous years). This doesn't only result from the obvious (low cost of gas), but it results from the fact that major projects are not online yet; they're not producing a lick of oil at this time. Who knows what will happen in the years to come...

I've said what I had to say. If someone wants to challenge that, then ask the CEO of the company your questions.

Last edited by Oildog; 11-16-2014 at 11:09 PM..

Old 11-12-2014, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texsn95 View Post
BP is doing the early incentive packages as well, and hiring has slowed down. OpEx in my group is cut quite a bit next year.
I heard BP isn't doing to great.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:10 PM

232 posts, read 463,261 times
Quote:
Late 60's, I think.
Late 60's? Most would consider 65 (reaching up to 67 now) to be retirement age, so how would late 60's be deemed "early" retirement? Did you mean late 50's?

Old 11-12-2014, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockermom View Post
Late 60's? Most would consider 65 (reaching up to 67 now) to be retirement age, so how would late 60's be deemed "early" retirement? Did you mean late 50's?
It's 65+. They're actually asking people to volunteering to get early retirement.

Old 11-16-2014, 03:36 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,537,016 times
Quote:
Not on a hiring freeze to a certain extent (Chevron will be hiring more than 300 college hires each year until 2019, which 300 is the minimum number of college hires it can take; the number of experienced hires will decrease during that timeframe.) No layoffs...early retirement packages, maybe.

The rest is correct.
to be specific, they did some layoffs of their ITC group(ROM)...while others have to find other positions within the company...yeah, they are doing some college hires for ITC, but not quite nearly as previously. I can't speak for other departments or business units, but heard they are going through the same. And not only will some be forced to retire, but there are people in their 30s who could get the pink slip unless they find another position within the company. Not everyone is 60-65 yrs old who will be gone. A few years ago(4-5yrs), they had a ROM...a co-worker of mine was 47yrs old and had to take retirement...not old enough to really retire, but he was there over 20yrs. I suspect every 3-4 yrs, they will go through a ROM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
Once again you're just clueless or in a bubble? Where are you in CVX, in ETC? ETC had a town hall this week. Layoffs (ROM) are taking place right now and their last day is Feb 1st-2015. Talking about 10-15% for now and if Siegele said something else is just pure PR BS. Use OneSearch for a change, really a great tool.
By the way in California (San Ramon) is a legal requirement to make layoff public if more than 50 people. Watch the announcement :-) And yes, retirement is part of the cycle, but not the fix.
Man you got lots of growing to do. Good luck as you will need it....
Yep...my friend(37yrs old) is going through the ROM...his job is safe, but some others might have to look within the company for other positions.

Last edited by JL; 11-16-2014 at 03:47 PM..

Old 11-16-2014, 05:19 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,792,835 times
Not just ITC. NMA, SASBU and EBU already went through the ROM. ETC is next and many other Upstream , Midstream and Downstream SBU's and departments are following now and in 2015. There are NO packages and NO option to be left standing with retirement options. That right there is a very bad sign.

mod edit-rude

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
to be specific, they did some layoffs of their ITC group(ROM)...while others have to find other positions within the company...yeah, they are doing some college hires for ITC, but not quite nearly as previously. I can't speak for other departments or business units, but heard they are going through the same. And not only will some be forced to retire, but there are people in their 30s who could get the pink slip unless they find another position within the company. Not everyone is 60-65 yrs old who will be gone. A few years ago(4-5yrs), they had a ROM...a co-worker of mine was 47yrs old and had to take retirement...not old enough to really retire, but he was there over 20yrs. I suspect every 3-4 yrs, they will go through a ROM.

Yep...my friend(37yrs old) is going through the ROM...his job is safe, but some others might have to look within the company for other positions.

Last edited by Oildog; 11-16-2014 at 08:41 PM.. Reason: rude

Old 11-16-2014, 06:58 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,663,212 times
What does ROM stand for?

Old 11-16-2014, 11:10 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swopoe View Post
What does ROM stand for?
I don't speak Chevron but it may be along the lines of Reduction of Manpower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: