Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 09:43 AM

20 posts, read 31,817 times

Advertisements

Question about theFONDREN SOUTHWEST area of Houston.

I'm moving to Houston later this summer to attend school in the downtown area and have had some difficulty in the home-buying process (I am open to single-family homes, condos, and townhouses). First of all, the real estate market is CRAZY. Second of all, I cannot afford to buy a $150k + house. Third of all, I hate the idea of renting because I would rather have my money go towards something I can own and not throw away money on rent.

I have heard good things about some Houston suburbs (Friendswood, Clear Lake area by NASA, League city, Sugar Land, Katy), but finding an affordable home there is difficult. I have found a nice place in the FONDREN SOUTHWEST area in what appears to be a nice neighborhood. However, if I drive 2 miles north or south I run into what looks like a rough part of town. I just want to live in a safe place so that I can have piece of mind that my wife will be okay.

Can anyone shed some insight into the FONDREN SOUTHWEST area of Houston PLEASE?!?!?!

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks a bunch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 09:55 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,782,408 times
Fondren Southwest is probably one of the most crime ridden areas in town.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:26 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,712,949 times
That area is a mixed bag. It is by no means all bad, but there are bad areas there. I'm not all that familiar with the area but I do know that you will need to be more specific if you want to get really good, focused advice. Is there a specific address that you have in mind, or a subdivision? If you can provide this, people familiar with the area might be able to help you. (I don't trust anyone who dismisses whole swaths of the city--that is too big an area to be all bad).

On another note, you might look at the older condos along the I-10 in Hedwig Village. They run parallel to the 10 one block south from around Campbell to Brogden. This is where I live. It is super-safe, there are tons of amenities in the area and the condos tend to be well managed. The downside is that the condos are old (seventies I think) and there isn't a lot of interior light. However, you can get into them for south of 150k and they will likely hold their value very well. You probably won't lose money on these because they are so safe and zoned to high ranked schools.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:29 AM

I have looked into the Gessport neighborhood. Can anyone shed insight into this location?

Thanks!

Old 06-16-2014, 10:30 AM

Default Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
That area is a mixed bag. It is by no means all bad, but there are bad areas there. I'm not all that familiar with the area but I do know that you will need to be more specific if you want to get really good, focused advice. Is there a specific address that you have in mind, or a subdivision? If you can provide this, people familiar with the area might be able to help you. (I don't trust anyone who dismisses whole swaths of the city--that is too big an area to be all bad).

On another note, you might look at the older condos along the I-10 in Hedwig Village. They run parallel to the 10 one block south from around Campbell to Brogden. This is where I live. It is super-safe, there are tons of amenities in the area and the condos tend to be well managed. The downside is that the condos are old (seventies I think) and there isn't a lot of interior light. However, you can get into them for south of 150k and they will likely hold their value very well. You probably won't lose money on these because they are so safe and zoned to high ranked schools.

Thank you!

Old 06-16-2014, 10:37 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,782,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccali7 View Post
I have looked into the Gessport neighborhood. Can anyone shed insight into this location?

Thanks!
Here is a thread about Gessport: //www.city-data.com/forum/houst...port-area.html

Old 06-16-2014, 11:48 AM

226 posts, read 283,459 times
There are some nice homes in the Fondren Southwest area, but they are close to the crime ridden apartment complexes that are also in the area.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
Here is a thread about Gessport: //www.city-data.com/forum/houst...port-area.html
thanks a bunch

Old 06-16-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post

Would you be able to tell me if there are any available condos in that area? I cannot seem to find any online.
Thanks!

Old 06-16-2014, 12:32 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,712,949 times
I just looked at HAR and I didn't see anything. Usually there are a few available--I'm sorry I didn't check first. It is worth checking back frequently though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston