Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 06:57 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,725,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Yep. Many old cemeteries fall into disrepair and neglect as nobody has strong ties to those buried there. The plot on Dallas is a good example.

If it gets ignored for 30 years after filling up, its easy to see why there is redevelopment interest.
Not much regard for history here. Perhaps this attitude is the reason that after all these years, Houston's most famous contribution to history is still Astroturf.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:27 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,072,540 times
Does anybody have photos of what it used to look like?

Old 06-19-2014, 04:49 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Does anybody have photos of what it used to look like?
Click the link Jerbear posted and scroll down.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:24 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,266,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Historic Slave Cemetery Bulldozed In Houston | News One

Disgusting. That's Houston for you. No care about the history and value of these things they so carelessly destroy.
I deal with people of all races, all day, every day...I can honestly say that after reading the comments in the News One article, it is not the "white" folks who are racist. I have never seen such bigotry in a comments section in my life...it is sickening.

Even the premise of the site itself is in and of itself racist NewsOne "For Black America"

Just imagine the hatred and bigotry if there was a news organization for "White America"

People see racism everywhere, and it is sickening. I seriously doubt this was a racially motivated act, most likely it was financially motivated. Someone, somewhere was looking to make some cash by clearing this in some way.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:27 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
I deal with people of all races, all day, every day...I can honestly say that after reading the comments in the News One article, it is not the "white" folks who are racist. I have never seen such bigotry in a comments section in my life...it is sickening.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:18 AM

725 posts, read 1,240,852 times
Quote:

Even the premise of the site itself is in and of itself racist NewsOne "For Black America"

Just imagine the hatred and bigotry if there was a news organization for "White America"

People see racism everywhere, and it is sickening. I seriously doubt this was a racially motivated act, most likely it was financially motivated. Someone, somewhere was looking to make some cash by clearing this in some way.
Ever been to Fox News? Or the Houston Chronicle? I see way worse every single time I read those two.

Comments sections are not where to look for civilized discourse. Trolls tend to predominate.

That's why I prefer this site.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:05 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times
Default 'Didn't take long for Quanell...

Family raises alarms on damage to historic cemetery - Houston Chronicle

Old 06-19-2014, 01:27 PM

398 posts, read 394,758 times
Quote:

Didn't you hear? You're allowed to be racist...as long as it's against white people.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:40 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,807,947 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickelsTX View Post
Didn't you hear? You're allowed to be racist...as long as it's against white people.
Let me borrow one of your lame arguments. Rednecks can be white, black, blue.... I didn't say white people - you did.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:54 PM

498 posts, read 837,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
Now really why would somebody razed an area that is not even theirs with heavy bull doze equipment....something here doesn't add up. If they want to vandalize it, it certainly won't be with bulldoze equipment.
Didn't someone bulldoze a bunch of trees on what they thought was the property they were supposed to clear about a year ago, only to find out it was the adjacent property? And was it here or somewhere else a guys house got bulldozed by the city as part of an effort to raze abandoned homes?

My point is that it does happen. Even the city of Houston built over old cemeteries more than once: http://historichouston1836.com/old-1840-city-cemetery/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston