U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 02:55 AM

1 posts, read 9,745 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am a native Californian who will be relocating to Houston in Feb. I will be working in Clear Lake and in the inner NW loop. Because of my dual employment locations, I beleive living in the SW part of town will be the best logistical location.

I am considering the Lake Olmympia community in "MoCity" and the Greatwood Area in Sugar Land.

Both seem family freindly and have homes in my price range (mid $200's)

Can anyone advise as far as the crime, traffic, schools, surrounding developments...or does anyone have any better location suggestion.

Thanks.

Last edited by Cali2TX; 12-16-2007 at 03:03 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 09:40 AM

8,373 posts, read 29,301,692 times
I'd live in Clear Lake. That way you won't have to do much commuting half the time, instead of doing long commutes all the time. It's similar here to Sugar Land and Missouri City in terms of "niceness" and family friendliness. I'd think Sugar Land & Missouri City may be a bit safer than Clear Lake. Sugar Land is consistently rated one of the best places to live in the USA. I've also heard people call Missouri City "Brown Sugar Land." You really can't go wrong with any of the three areas I listed.

Old 12-16-2007, 04:05 PM

12 posts, read 37,696 times
I have been living in Sugar Land for many years, my parents live in Missouri City. Both areas are pretty nice. Your options " I am considering the Lake Olmympia community in "MoCity" and the Greatwood Area in Sugar Land." are both nice neighborhoods. However based on where you are going to be working, Greatwood would not be a smart choice. The commute will be a lot longer. Other areas to consider in Missouri City are Sienna Plantation. You can go to the a Houston Area Realtors web site www.har.com and search the 77459 zip code (covers lake olympia & sienna plantation) There are other neighborhoods in this zip code that you might want to consider too . As of what tstone is saying, is true. Your commute from Missouri City to Clear Lake is not a short one. Although I am no expert in the Clear Lake area, I do know that there are also nice neighborhoods in that area. There are other neighborhoods between Clear Lake and the inner loop that could work for you as well. If you need more information on Sugar Land or Missouri City I will be glad to help as I am sure other members of this group too.

Old 12-16-2007, 04:16 PM

344 posts, read 1,202,330 times
If I were you I would live very close to one of your two locations. Check into Oak Forest and nearby neighborhoods for the inner loop location.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:20 PM

30 posts, read 175,177 times
Based on where you are working I would look at Pearland. Of the two you mentioned I like Lake Olympia but its not a short commute..

Old 02-08-2008, 10:34 AM

4 posts, read 18,394 times
Default Olympia Estates in Missouri City??

I just looked at buying a brand new home in Olympia Estates. This is a new Castle Rock Community behind Vicksburg. Does anyone know anything about either subdivision? Also, how far back does Lake Olympia go b/c I could swear our realtor drove to Olympia Estates through the large LakeOlympia entrance on Hwy 6? Does that mean it's part of Lake Olympia? A subdivision named Lake Shore is near Castle Rock as well. It looks too pricey though??

Old 02-14-2008, 10:11 AM

182 posts, read 735,047 times
Greatwood is a very nice neighorhood (not overly keen on the spanish-moss look myself) but there are two things to be wary of. First, it is in Lamar ISD, not Fort Bend ISD. Lamar doesn't rank as high, though it's still good. Second, GW is "downstream" of the current construction on 59 which won't finish until next year. Until then the commute is a total bear. Though this will get much better I think once 59 is completed to Grand Parkway. Also GW is not in "incorporated" Sugar Land, meaning it's outside the city limits. There is a plan in place to Annex GW and New Territory over the next 10 years. (Just FYI)

Old 02-20-2008, 03:27 PM

4 posts, read 20,423 times
Hi, we are relocating to Houston from Pennsylvania and currently looking for a rental home, preferably new and never lived in around the Sugarland/Missouri City area. Narrowed down to 2 homes, one in Teal Run and the other in Sienna Plantation, any advise on which neighborhood to go for?

Old 02-20-2008, 05:56 PM

73 posts, read 345,141 times
Sugar Land if only because they don't have those obnoxious multi-colored street signs.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:15 AM

3 posts, read 13,185 times
Hi,
we are looking to buy a new home in the Riverstone community in sugar land/Missouri City.The builder initially said that it would be in the city of sugar land but now are saying that it is in Fort bend but hasn't been annexed to sugar land or Missouri city.Does anyone know what they mean by that? As we would be paying a $200 per squarefeet for a new home there just want to be sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston