Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 07:08 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times

Advertisements

I'd skip Galveston over the 4th, but it is NOT a dump. There are a number of people who hate Galveston, so you should take the "dump" statements with a grain of salt. I would not recommend doing either Austin or San Antonio for a day trip. You'd be spending 6 to 7 hours in the car, maybe more with holiday traffic.

I second the recommendation of Houston and hitting the zoo when it opens followed by the museums as the day heats up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 08:07 AM

72 posts, read 67,024 times
I think we are going to opt for staying a bit closer and seeing the sites in Houston this time around. My son just moved to SL this spring, so he hasn't had too much time to explore either! Hermann Park looks lovely and we have never been to the Montrose area of the city or any of the museums. I am making a definite plan to schedule a family trip to those areas out west next time. I could see us spending a week with the whole family given all the options there.

Any tips on the best itinerary for "doing Houston" Sat. or Sunday next weekend?

Old 06-26-2014, 08:49 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcountry4 View Post
Any tips on the best itinerary for "doing Houston" Sat. or Sunday next weekend?
If you do plan to go to Herman park and the zoo, do that first thing in the morning when they open. Not only will it be cooler to walk around, but more of the animals are out and active at that point.

After the zoo, I'd go have lunch and hit the museums followed by dinner and then the theater.

All of that will be in a fairly small area without much driving.

I'll post some links to theaters in a bit.

Edit - Dang, Main Street Theater appears to have nothing that weekend. - http://www.mainstreettheater.com/mai...mainstage.html

Second edit - Miller Outdoor Theater is just showing the movie Frozen with a singalong. I hope I don't strike out on this.

Third edit: The Music Box Theater has a performance, but it doesn't appear to be one of their premier ones - http://www.themusicboxtheater.com/#!...ure-shows/czye

Fourth edit: Ensemble Theater looks promising - https://ensemblehouston.secure.force...000000ApGKBMA3

Last edited by PedroMartinez; 06-26-2014 at 09:02 AM..

Old 06-26-2014, 12:14 PM

201 posts, read 914,803 times
Galveston has some interesting parts but I would NOT go on July 4th weekend. The museum district is a good idea but if you want to get out of the city without going too far, check out some of the state parks. Huntsville SP has a nice lake where you can rent canoes and is heavily shaded. Brazos Bend SP has nice walking & biking trails and you can almost always see alligators there.

Wherever you decide to go, go early.

Old 06-26-2014, 01:40 PM

860 posts, read 1,585,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidtk View Post
Galveston has some interesting parts but I would NOT go on July 4th weekend. The museum district is a good idea but if you want to get out of the city without going too far, check out some of the state parks. Huntsville SP has a nice lake where you can rent canoes and is heavily shaded. Brazos Bend SP has nice walking & biking trails and you can almost always see alligators there.

Wherever you decide to go, go early.
The state parks are likely to be crowded that weekend as well.

Old 06-26-2014, 01:52 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,951,681 times
I'd also recommend the Museum District--there will be way too much traffic going out of town. Galveston isn't a dump--

Old 06-26-2014, 04:19 PM

785 posts, read 1,234,675 times
Here's an itinerary that you might like to try:

Morning
8:00 a.m - Hermann Park: make sure to check out the Japanese garden and the Reflection pond area, which has an obelisk on one end and a statue of Sam Houston Houston at the other. You can also ride the train or do pedal boats on the lake if you'd like.
10:00 a.m - Houston Museum of Natural Science: they currently have the Magna Carta on exhibit, plus they recently expanded their dinosaur exhibits
12:00 p.m. - Lunch at Bodegas Taco Shop or Lucille's nearby.

Afternoon
1:00 p.m. - Holocaust Museum Houston
3:00 p.m. - Contemporary Arts Museum
5:00 p.m. - Museum of Fine Arts
7:00 p.m. - Dinner: I have 3 different recommendations here, depending on which area interests you --
Montrose: Drive over to Underbelly; this is Houston's hipster/quirky neighborhood, and Underbelly is an award-winning restaurant that's pretty much put our restaurant scene on the map.
Mid-Main: Drive or take the light rail to the Ensemble/HCC station and eat at Natachee's Supper 'n Punch, Tacos a-Go-Go, or Sparrow Bar. This area has the Continental Club for live-music.
Rice Village: There's a ton of restaurants and shops here. My favorites are Mi Luna (Spanish tapas), Istanbul Grill (Turkish), and Cafe Rabelais (French). Feel free to walk around though and go wherever suits your fancy. There's usually a food truck or two in the area as well.

This is a pretty ambitious itinerary for just one day, but I tried to include the museums and restaurants that I always take visitors. Hope you find it helpful!

Old 06-26-2014, 05:48 PM

Thank you all so much for the recommendations! My s has actually been to Brazos Bend SP and he really liked it. He may take us there again to show it to us.

Here is what I am thinking so far now after reading what you all have suggested:

Morning: Hermann Park or the Zoo

Museum of Natural Science

Lunch at one of the restaurants crono mentioned

Afternoon:

Museum of Fine Arts -Daughter is a English country home fanatic and they have a wonderful exhibit there right now from Houghton Hall!

Here is where I need some advice--Will it be too unbearable in the afternoon to walk through any nice/hip neighborhoods such as Montrose, Rice Village or Midtown? We are from Virginia and are used to some heat and humidity--heat sissies we are not --but I know you all have a different heat animal there! Which neighborhoods would you suggest? I know my d would love to visit the Galleria also to get a shopping fix. Is this the best mall to go to?

I haven't looked at Mapquest to see the locations of what I have chosen, so forgive me if they are too spread out! May need to make adjustments if so.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:16 PM

860 posts, read 1,585,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcountry4 View Post
Thank you all so much for the recommendations! My s has actually been to Brazos Bend SP and he really liked it. He may take us there again to show it to us.

Here is what I am thinking so far now after reading what you all have suggested:

Morning: Hermann Park or the Zoo

Museum of Natural Science

Lunch at one of the restaurants crono mentioned

Afternoon:

Museum of Fine Arts -Daughter is a English country home fanatic and they have a wonderful exhibit there right now from Houghton Hall!

Here is where I need some advice--Will it be too unbearable in the afternoon to walk through any nice/hip neighborhoods such as Montrose, Rice Village or Midtown? We are from Virginia and are used to some heat and humidity--heat sissies we are not --but I know you all have a different heat animal there! Which neighborhoods would you suggest? I know my d would love to visit the Galleria also to get a shopping fix. Is this the best mall to go to?

I haven't looked at Mapquest to see the locations of what I have chosen, so forgive me if they are too spread out! May need to make adjustments if so.
You're trying to pack a heck of a lot of lot of activity into a very short time! Trust me -- both the Museum of Natural Science and the Museum of Fine Arts are huge, world-class museums and will take a couple of hours each MINIMUM. Your feet will be tired, so don't plan on walking from the Museum District to the places you mentioned, especially in our summer afternoon heat and humidity. Your daughter will love the Galleria but be sure to go early. It, too, is huge -- a map of the store locations is online so she can zero in on the ones she wants to visit and you can decide which garage to park in.

Brazos Bend Park is a neat place but may be crowded during the July 4th weekend. If you go, don't forget sunscreen and mosquito repellent.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:27 AM

Ok..yes you are right- I am famous for being the vacation director- and try to cram way too much in!
How about this:

Morning: Hermann Park and the Zoo

around lunch time: Drive or walk to one of the Houston neighborhoods - Rice Village/West University? Montrose? Midtown? Which would be best for a first time visitor? Lunch somewhere in the chosen place

Afternoon: Museum of Fine Arts

Evening: The Galleria --I know we need to go early, but I don't see how that is possible. Maybe waiting until later in the afternoon- aound 4ish would be OK?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston