Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2014, 05:42 AM

1 posts, read 5,285 times

Advertisements

We've been saving up for down payment to buy a house, but in the meantime, have been living in an apartment complex. We started off on the bottom floor but could not comprehend the amount of noise coming from overhead. I could easily imagine the entire Dallas Cowboy football team up there having practice. Absolutely ridiculous. Come to find out later it's just a small 7 year old girl, her mom, and a cat.

After reading reviews on many other complexes in the area and seeing almost every single complex receiving their share of complaints in regard to noisy neighbors, I'm wondering if there are any builders whatsoever who go the extra length to try to soundproof the walls -- at least just a little?

After reading tons of apartment reviews and seeing that it would be crapshoot no matter where we went, we decided to strategically just stay where we were, BUT, move to the top floor. No overhead neighbors, no overhead noise, right?

Fastforward 6 weeks to top floor living... we've got an awesome view, but the people below us apparently have a surround sound home theater hooked up to World of Warcraft during the day, and ZZ Top appearing nightly from 7pm to midnight. Our floors vibrate, our couch vibrates, the silverware in our drawers vibrate... and that low bass beat boom, boom, boom... like rolling thunder... is nauseating.

Yes, we've spoken to management. They have failed to do anything. We politely asked the tenants below us to take it down a notch, but they insist it's not them. Oddly, when their cars are not in the parking lot, it's whisper quiet until they return.

So for now, back to apartment hunting.

Any suggestions on anything here would soooooo be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 05:55 AM

61,653 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Probably only high-rise and luxury apartments.
Look for poured concrete walls, floors, and ceilings, or at least ask whether soundproofing insulation has been used. Newer buildings are more likely to have extra insulation added to absorb sound.

Old 06-29-2014, 06:27 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,790,319 times
You may want to look at privately-owned townhomes/condos that are offered for rent by their owners. Would expect better sound-deadening, and better construction quality in general, in buildings that have to be sold rather than rented.

Having said that, keep your expectations realistic - some noise from surrounding units is just a fact of apartment living. Wish the neighbors who live below us now would realize that...my wife and I rarely throw parties, never watch TV or play loud music, have no kids or pets, and don't even wear shoes inside our company apartment in the Netherlands, and our neighbors below us still constantly complain that we make too much noise.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:54 AM

6,870 posts, read 14,851,661 times
This is where I live : Apartments for rent at Uptown Post Oak - Houston, TX

I've never had any issues with noise.

Old 06-29-2014, 03:03 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,694,093 times
I lived in a highrise once and it was dead silent. As people said above some high end apartments probably have better sound proofing. Ones with concrete floors will be much more quiet. Expect to be a premium though. North of 1800 a month for a one bedroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston