Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 04:57 PM

951 posts, read 1,452,647 times

Advertisements

I live in a large house in Stafford, TX and I don't like cold air or cold anything, so I let the windows open all the time day or night and let it breeze all the time either warm wind or cool wind does not matter. Even it gets too humid I did not mind.

Yesterday a friend of mine came to our house and said if I never use the AC the house will build up mold on the walls. Is this true?

Because the windows are open all the time and the air circulating all the time. So shouldn't this prevent mold?

Please help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 04:59 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
I believe if this were true every home built and lived in before air conditioning was invented and used would be completely covered in mold and not habitable.

Have you done any research on google regarding this issue?

Old 06-29-2014, 05:07 PM

682 posts, read 1,942,088 times
It can happen. I've seen it. The chances of it happening probably aren't that great unless something inside the house gets wet though.

Old 06-29-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I believe if this were true every home built and lived in before air conditioning was invented and used would be completely covered in mold and not habitable.

Have you done any research on google regarding this issue?
Yeah I googled

but I guess there is no one else like me that loves hot and humid so no straight answers

Old 06-29-2014, 06:23 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
It can cause havoc with clothing in your closet. One of the reasons people try to run fans during power outages from hurricanes with a generator. If anything, get a whole house dehumidifier. And yes, I really don't understand your love of heat and humidity. As a native, I run from it.

If it was a house built pre-Ac days, it will have proper cross ventilation. But modern sheetrock will be a mold attractor. Old plaster could handle it. Modern construction would become a petridish for mold.

Old 06-29-2014, 06:37 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Alot depends on now the house was built. Older homes where built with a lot of cross ventialation windows ;ceiling fans and certainly less tightly sealed in past. They basically breathe better. Moisture plus food to feed on such as dirt or other fiber equals good mold environment. Rent a dehumidifier from rental and see just now much moisture it removes in say a day. Air conditioning does that.

Old 06-29-2014, 06:51 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,857,927 times
I'd probably be more concerned with leaving my windows open all day and all night in Stafford. Actually I wouldn't do that in any community in Houston but even more so not in Stafford.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:06 PM

20 posts, read 26,280 times
I lived in Baton Rouge (same climate as Houston) for several years while I was a "starving" graduate student. My home was a pre-AC-era (circa 1920's) cottage, and so designed with numerous strategically placed windows and was even built on piers - so plenty of cross-ventilation.

The cottage had been renovated to modern standards and actually had AC by the time I moved in. But I almost never used the AC, and just made do with open windows, to keep the electric bills as low as possible (not because I enjoyed sweltering in the heat and humidity).

I never noticed mold on the walls of rooms, but clothing sometimes felt a bit damp, there would sometime be a faint mildewy smell in the closets, and a coating of mold and mildew tended to build up on leather items (like shoes and belts). All this kept happening even if the closet doors were left open to allow for as much air circulation as possible.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jereviens View Post
I lived in Baton Rouge (same climate as Houston) for several years while I was a "starving" graduate student. My home was a pre-AC-era (circa 1920's) cottage, and so designed with numerous strategically placed windows and was even built on piers - so plenty of cross-ventilation.

The cottage had been renovated to modern standards and actually had AC by the time I moved in. But I almost never used the AC, and just made do with open windows, to keep the electric bills as low as possible (not because I enjoyed sweltering in the heat and humidity).

I never noticed mold on the walls of rooms, but clothing sometimes felt a bit damp, there would sometime be a faint mildewy smell in the closets, and a coating of mold and mildew tended to build up on leather items (like shoes and belts). All this kept happening even if the closet doors were left open to allow for as much air circulation as possible.
well you wouldn't notice mold because it takes time to build up

Wherever you lived, I am sure it has mold now on every wall. You just did not realize it because mold is inside the wall not outside

Old 06-30-2014, 05:35 AM

153 posts, read 540,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterno View Post
I live in a large house in Stafford, TX and I don't like cold air or cold anything, so I let the windows open all the time day or night and let it breeze all the time either warm wind or cool wind does not matter. Even it gets too humid I did not mind.

Yesterday a friend of mine came to our house and said if I never use the AC the house will build up mold on the walls. Is this true?

Because the windows are open all the time and the air circulating all the time. So shouldn't this prevent mold?

Please help
To grow mold in a structure you need 3 basic things.

1) cool
2) damp
3) dark

without any one of these mold can not grow.

For further reading...

Mold Growth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston