Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2014, 11:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,055 times

Advertisements

Recently we had leak in the A/C unit and maintenance came to fix the issue before we noticed that the floor in our kids bedroom was damn and wet, mildew already taking affect. Again we had maintenance show up to fix the issue which they believed to be the A/C unit, but they made no move to treat the carpet or wall that had damage popping up from the water. Instead we had to call in to make another maintenance report which we have made three reports as it is. One also being for the mold we saw on the wood panel in the bathroom that opens to A/C unit. Nothing had been done, thinking the leak was fixed we noticed that night we could hear the dripping and when going for a drink that night I saw water on the floor of the refrigerator which is close to a wall that has a wood panel that goes to the pipes for the A/C unit and other lines. When maintenance showed up today to fix the burner and the change the air filter I told him about the water and he proceeded to take a look. Moving the refrigerator there was a pool of water there as well as visible damage to the flooring and wall from the water. Mind you that for the past month both my girlfriend and myself have had a severe cough and I had been with a fever off and on. Our youngest son also has been doing the same as us, the oldest daughter who spends more time out of the house doesn't have the same level of cough. When he took off the wood panel to show a crude cut hole in the wall, the sheet rock is wet and already showing signs of black mold which is something both my girlfriend and myself are allergic too. The wood boards also have the signs of mold, though not black on them, and the entire floor within the wall was soaked and reeked of mold. The moment I was close my air way had tightened and I was feeling like I was being choked by the mold from how strong the scent was. It seems that when they blew the A/C line they had detached the elbow of the pipe and it had been leaking non stop since which is why the kids closet was showing signs of the damage and mildew. The maintenance wanted to just put a bleach mixture down to get rid of the molds and do so while we are still living in the space, we told them since they didn't seem to understand what black mold and mold in drywall was able to do that the sheet rock as well as the infected wood needed to be removed and the other boards coated with something to kill the mold and prevent it from spreading. They then just wanted to paint the wall and have the carpet cleaned which would not remove the mold if it is set under the flooring of the apartment. The maintenance was then told by the manager to just call a sheet rock repairman to have him come in and cut open the drywall to asses the damage and replace the wall, WHILE we are still living in the house. I want to know what course of action we can take, if we are able to be moved to another apartment until the problem is fully fixed and if they refuse to do that what we are legally able to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 01:43 PM

20 posts, read 25,251 times
This might help you answer your question: Jason Yost | Press Release: Should Occupants Be Inside a Building Being Remediated of Mold?

Old 07-01-2014, 01:47 PM

967 posts, read 2,610,311 times
Holy wall of text!

In case I missed it... Have you actually asked the management company to be moved? You never know until you ask!

Old 07-01-2014, 03:27 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,736,420 times
Get out one way or another. I stayed in a moldy apartment while they tried to deal with it and had to toss half my stuff as I could never get the smell out.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:29 PM

29 posts, read 48,465 times
I would ask politely to be moved and reimbursed for the moving costs unless they quarantine off the affected area for remediation and provide a reduced rate for the inconvience. Figure out cost per sq ft per day, how much area must be quarantined and length of time, extra if it removes the usability of the kitchen and necessary rooms (bathroom). If that doesn't work I would find a property or appropriate lawyer to discuss your health issues and living conditions. In the meantime, take a lot of pictures, with date stamps and at the appropriate vantage to provide proof of it's existence. Close up shots of drywall do you no good unless you have a perspective that what you have a picture of indeed represents your accommodations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston