Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2013, 12:47 PM

238 posts, read 697,709 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

First post here. I've been living in Houston for almost 6 years, and finally bought my first house at Canyon Gate at the Brazos. The house hunting process was a roller coaster ride, so much competition amid rising prices and low inventory! Anyway, my family and I are excited to move there soon and it's a perfect location for us, and it's a nice decent house that fits our basic needs - not too extravagant, but not too small either.

My ONLY concern is the traffic on Crabb River Rd south of I-69 (or US 59) towards 762. My commute from downtown will probably make use of Crabb River Rd going south and it's always bottlenecked with only one lane each way. They really need to do something about that road, like widening it into at least two lanes each way. My trip to downtown will take 45-50 minutes (20 min to West Bellfort park and ride, bus the rest of the way), but my trip back may take 5-10 minutes longer due to Crabb River traffic, so I'm really hoping something will be done soon.

So, a couple questions.

1. Does anyone know what sort of projects that are funded and about to begin on Crabb River road? I looked at the Fort Bend county website and it appears that there are two projects, A) widen Crabb River rd, and B) extend Grand Parkway Hwy 99 south by building Segment C from I-69 all the way around to 288. I imagine the former would be simpler and cheaper to do, but I'm not sure which one they are actually going to do... does anyone know?

2. Anyone here live/has lived in Canyon Gate? What do you think of it? I'm seeing this area has potential for future growth and economic expansion, which is a good thing, but may increase traffic.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 06:11 PM

2,165 posts, read 3,787,661 times
99 to 288 will happen. Just a matter of when is the question. With regards to crabb river rd, talk to Ft. Bend County and see what their timeline and bid schedule look like for the expansion of that road. They should be able to tell you.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:33 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,872,069 times
Crabb River Road is a traffic pain. I think they wanted to expand around the same time FM 1464 did, but FM 1464 won the funds and got the expansion. Not sure when Crabb River Rd will.
As far as the neighborhood itself, I knew some people that lived in there and it seemed nice enough. The HOA fees may be higher in a gated community though, it's an extra cost to be aware of.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:19 AM

238 posts, read 697,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL_PWR View Post
99 to 288 will happen. Just a matter of when is the question. With regards to crabb river rd, talk to Ft. Bend County and see what their timeline and bid schedule look like for the expansion of that road. They should be able to tell you.
I asked, and got a one-line response: "Possible let to contract late 2014" No clue what that means... ?

AK123, that's interesting, I barely see any cars on 1464 when I drive on it. And yes, I was trying to choose between Greatwood and Canyon Gate as Greatwood's HOA and taxes are lower, but home prices are a good 50% higher or more. My preference was slightly leaning for Greatwood, but ultimately ended up with Canyon Gate because we found a great deal on a house there.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,258 times
We moved to Canyon Gates a few months ago. I'm trying to find a homeowners website online to find out about community activities. Is there any way to get this information, such as summer pool hours, without having to stop in at the community center and hope to find someone there?

Old 07-01-2014, 01:24 PM

331 posts, read 489,558 times
Since the Grand Parkway is to continue in the path of Crabb River Rd, I doubt it would make sense to spend any $ improving Crabb River Rd. I thought that portion of 99 / Grand Parkway was more futuristic, but I could be wrong. I wasn't aware of the contract being let in the near future. If it will be, that is encouraging news. I wouldn't hang my hat on any road improvements that aren't already there when I move in, but maybe you'll be lucky and it will happen sooner rather than later.

Old 07-01-2014, 01:40 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,578,717 times
I believe, by FBC's response to your question, that they are talking about the contract to build the service roads like they did north of 59. That would make Crabb River Rd. look like the sections you see when you cross the freeway. I spent many years in that area and they had one grand plan after another. The action is finally happening and it is sorely needed for the area.

My wonder is if and when they will extend fort bend tollway through Sienna Plantation across the Brazos and over to that area. That would really make it a bypass of 59 into the loop. I don't know why they haven't had a greater impetus to do that! It would really work well if they connected it to 59 around Rosenberg. One of the fastest growing areas in the country needs better connections into the city. I'd also like them to build the FBTollway all the way to the loop and then over and up into downtown down the median of 288. That would be super cool! Unlikely but supercool!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston