Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 07:14 PM

2 posts, read 2,004 times

Advertisements

I moved to the area about 9 months ago. We are coming close to the end of the lease at out current apartment and are looking to move. I am working full time in the Pasadena area, but our top priority is moving someplace that has a great school for my 15 year old to attend. If anyone has some insight in a school that will challenge him, I would appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 08:06 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,697,737 times
Greatschools.com

Don't expect a miracle though. I am not even sure if there is a good HS in SE Houston.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:44 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,007,186 times
Well if you work in Pasadena, you could move into Clear Lake and send your kid to Clear Lake H.S., very highly rated and still an easy commute for you.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:45 PM

676 posts, read 932,582 times
You might want to think about the Pearland or Clear Lake areas then

Old 07-12-2014, 11:10 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,727,021 times
Here is the ranking for Pasadena Memorial High School from Schooldigger.com. Schooldigger is a very good resource and errs on the side of caution:

Pasadena Memorial High School in Pasadena TX - SchoolDigger.com

This looks like a very good school. Otherwise, I'd recommend living in Pearland and looking into Glenda Dawson High School.

Old 07-13-2014, 12:39 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,935,082 times
Clear Lake.

In all reality, it may be more about how much your kid applies themselves. You can lead a horse to water...

Old 07-13-2014, 05:38 AM

293 posts, read 756,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Clear Lake.

In all reality, it may be more about how much your kid applies themselves. You can lead a horse to water...
Spot on comment. Getting a good education is probably 95% on the student and parent and 5% on the school.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:06 AM

8,895 posts, read 20,007,186 times
Clear Lake H.S. is going to be the best h.s. in this area academically. Has a strong engineering/math/science focus. Consistently rated one of the tops in the states. So if you have a smart kid who applies himself and the advantage of a school that challenges - its a win-win.

It's going to beat Pearland/Deer Park/Pasadena Memorial/other clear creek ISD schools as well.

If your kid has had the basics instilled in him during his elementary years, he will excel anywhere. My kids went to a good elementary and a not so good middle and h.s. and excelled. When he went to a community college, they were stunned at where he had gone to h.s. because his education seemed broader -- I believe it was what he picked up in his younger years.

Old 07-13-2014, 12:14 PM

2 posts, read 2,004 times
Default Thank You

I appreciate all the comments, they give me a place to start looking. My son is smart and does apply himself, he just found that Clear Creek High School where he attended last year didn't seem to give him any information that he hadn't already learned in Oregon where we are from. I plan on doing my homework before we move and switch him to a new school. We are even looking at possibly private schools.

Thank you again for all the input and options.

Old 07-13-2014, 01:17 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,915,097 times
Ang3l3y3s, your experience is not unusual. I have had this conversation with a number of people who moved here from elsewhere and bought into pricey areas for the 'best' schools, only to be disappointed at what qualifies as 'best' here. I also know others with the opposite experience, who moved away from the 'best' schools here only to find the kids are behind when they land at schools in other states.

Schools in Houston are unfortunately judged first and foremost (essentially solely) on demographics, not at all on academic rigor or offerings. I do think the HISD selective magnets are an exception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston