Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 09:07 PM

331 posts, read 487,850 times

Advertisements

This will vary by area, but I think now is a better time to buy than a few months ago. It has slowed a bit in my area. Could slow more once school starts. I think it's more seasonal than anything (as others have touched on). I don't think we're headed for some sort of crash, but I think things were/are overheated and will cool off a bit. That's my two cents. In another part of town it could be different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 09:22 PM

7 posts, read 13,612 times
Thanks for all the great tip guys! Im looking in the area of Katy but since I'm new to Houston i don't know which area is good. According to my research, the south of Katy is a good area but the price is way too high. I found this community in Morton ranch and grand parkway. But they raised their price $12,000 more in 1 month. Now I'm just debating if I should go for it or wait after summer to see if it goes down or if I will have more options.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:21 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,207,643 times
What subdivision? You said Morton Ranch - but I don't know if you just meant Morton as a street.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:40 AM

467 posts, read 779,679 times
Yesterday was the best time to buy
Today is the next best option

Old 07-14-2014, 06:50 AM

403 posts, read 682,013 times
Yeah, this area is very reminiscent of the Seattle/Puget Sound area in the late 90s/early 2000s. I don't think prices are going to "ease" here for a while based on the pattern I observed when living there, especially if the population that can afford to buy a house continues to grow. I'm not super-knowledgeable in these things so maybe I'll be wrong, but it just looks very familiar.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:07 AM

339 posts, read 765,366 times
Start looking now and try to nail down the house, floor plan, etc that you like and the range its going for and like others posted, get all your finances in order. We were in a similar situation last year where we were looking for a house, but didn't absolutely need one. kept on looking and found one we really liked and since it was an inventory home and the builder was just trying to get it off their books by end of the month, they cut us a really good deal.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:19 AM

1,514 posts, read 1,796,737 times
I started seriously looking to buy in late 2011 and didn't make a move until Q1 2013. At the time, it stung a bit because I'd seen prices rise so much from when I started looking. Now, I'm just glad that I didn't wait any longer, as prices have continued to increase.

Having said that - the market is really heated this time of year, with lots of families trying to close and get moved in before school starts. In the fall and winter, both demand and supply tend to drop. I'd expect little net effect on prices, but if you find the right house for you in the winter, you may have less competition now than if the house were to hit the market over the summer (particular if it's in a family-friendly area).

Old 07-14-2014, 01:39 PM

467 posts, read 779,679 times
Spring / summer - more inventory, more buyers
Fall / winter - less inventory, less buyers

Demand is _TYPICALLY_ lower in the Fall / Winter.. however, in a market where there is only a 2 month supply of homes, demand will always be around all year long.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:55 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,994,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
There will be more inventory after the summer rush. I don't know if it will really go down that much. You will certainly have more options though. Families move in the summers so their kids don't miss school.

That doesn't make sense. With the way everyone is all "I'm moving to Houston!" and every list and article proclaiming Houston as the land flowing with jobs and money I would think the most inventory is now. At least the nicest stuff.

Any person wanting to sell waits until maybe April-May to put it on the market because people move in the summer and there's the housing wars with out of state people flying in, putting in higher bids and it being Houston eBay.

I feel like the people moving to Houston are people with children so they look towards the beginning of summer.

Now is the time to renovate and such where your $200k can be $300 something in June 2015

Old 07-14-2014, 09:04 PM

7 posts, read 13,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
What subdivision? You said Morton Ranch - but I don't know if you just meant Morton as a street.
The subdivision is waterstone close to morton and grand parkway. Do you have a good recommendation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: