Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2014, 07:16 PM

2 posts, read 2,566 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Medical Center Area for work. In the area this week to look at places to lease.

Office is near 288 and Old Spanish Trail(OST). I'm trying to avoid a long commute and looked around zip code 77054 for a place to lease.

All the places below $900 looked run down and sketchy. I've seen:
The Wilcox
Wilshire Park
Mainridge
2111 Holly Hall
don't find any of them very appealing plus reviews on apartmentratings.com are quite a put off, in terms of safety and roach problems

The places $1000 and up seemed decent but I feel like anything above $1100 is out of my budget (starting salary 70k ish)
The only decent places that I've seen are:
San Melia
San Marin
and a few other places in that area (610 and 288, West of 288). They're all priced just above $1000.
What's the safety like in that area?
google map: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sa...5b69080e7022a4

Any suggestions for apartment complexes in the $1000 or lower range?
I'd be willing to venture outside med center area if the commute isn't bad.

Thanks!

Added: need to move in end of next week. Alot of the leasing offices I visited were out of 1BRs. 12 months lease

Last edited by 10010; 07-15-2014 at 07:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 08:09 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,693,701 times
You can search around the Montrose area for some old apartments. It is about a 10min drive to the med center. Those sketchy apartments you listed. They are dangerous.

Finding an apartment under 1K in a decent area is tough. I would look for a roommate. If you are starting at 70K a year you can afford 1300 a month. Check out Camden Vanderbilt. Not the best complex in the world, but not bad. I know three single girls that live there. It is a 5min drive to the Med Center.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:21 PM

2 posts, read 2,566 times
Thanks! I'll look into Montrose and Camden Vanderbilt.
Is the 610 and 288, West of 288 area safe?

google maps: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sa...5b69080e7022a4

Old 07-16-2014, 05:40 AM

65 posts, read 115,479 times
It's all in how you define safe. My husband and I lived there for 4 years and moved last year to Pearland for a single family home. We never had a problem. We lived in the medical center apartments for 2 years (Fannin & Holly Hall) I felt fine walking my dog at night within the gated complex. We moved to a condo that we bought in the medical center condos at Cambridge and OST. Lived there for 2 years and never had a problem within our complex. I also walked my dog at night within the gated, guarded complex. I wouldn't go walking around at night outside my complex alone, but we did walk to and from events at reliant numerous times at both places.

Your problem seems to be the move-in date. Unfortunately, most of the medical residents have just moved in in late June/early July. The dental school is probably also gearing up to start a new year and the rental market is pretty hot around that time. You may want to take a look at rentals in the area at har.com. Our old realtor primarily dealt with places in the med center area (rentals & sales) and did her job very, very well. PM me if you'd like her info.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:53 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,693,701 times
That area north of 610 west of 288, east of Fannin, south of OST is a bad area. Especially, the ones off Holly Hall. I had a friend who lived there and break ins were bad. They did not feel safe at night. There are other areas to live that are slightly move. You could not pay me to live in that area. You don't want anything south of OST in general.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:17 PM

65 posts, read 115,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
That area north of 610 west of 288, east of Fannin, south of OST is a bad area. Especially, the ones off Holly Hall. I had a friend who lived there and break ins were bad. They did not feel safe at night. There are other areas to live that are slightly move. You could not pay me to live in that area. You don't want anything south of OST in general.
It was bad a few years ago, but the area has changed quite bit in the past few years. The hurricane refugees are gone. There are new construction townhomes going up in the high 300k/low 400k range, the dental school opened, and UT residences are expanding. Now, I wouldn't rent in some of the more run-down complexes in the area, but there are some nice apartments there that I would feel more than safe in. I actually felt less safe downtown the year we rented there than I ever did in the Med Center area. Are there break-ins, yes. But you'll find that even in the nicest neighborhoods. There were break-ins in our higher-end complex downtown. Unfortunately, Houston is a big city. I could relate the story about the co-worker I have who says she saw more than her fair share of drugs, break-ins and worse in her old apartment in Montrose. But, this is a big city and everyone knows someone who had a bad experience in one particular area or another. I actually lived there until about a year ago, it was fine.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:23 PM

8 posts, read 10,502 times
i would just pay the premium to live next to the metro rail. paying for parking in the medical center costs an arm >_>

Old 07-17-2014, 12:24 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,789,810 times
I'd second Camden Vanderbilt, or even one of the older complexes on Brompton st between Holcombe blvd and the bayou (which may be significantly cheaper). Had friends who lived in several of these complexes during our college years. Cars left on Brompton overnight were at a risk of getting broken into, but other than that they never mentioned any problems.

The location is great for med center. You can take the bus down Holcombe and get to work in no time. Vanderbilt Square shopping center is a 5 minute walk. If you enjoy running, Brays Bayou hike/bike trail is just to the south, and West University Place is just to the north (safe, quiet area to run).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston