Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 07:03 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,390,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigertiger11 View Post
Thanks for all the input above. We have decided to live in Katy, but we are not sure which part of Katy is best for us. Does anyone have any input on the following communities in terms of commute to I-249 near Beltway 8: Cinco Ranch, Cinco Ranch Sourthwest, Cinco Ranch Northwest, Grand Lakes, and Seven Meadows?

Thanks!
I would find some homes in different areas of Katy you like on har.com. Then put your work location in a map ap during rush hour to see more accurate commute times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 07:06 PM

705 posts, read 1,260,162 times
Westpark to the Belt in the morning is pretty bad unless you're on there by 6am. Grand Parkway to I10 is not too bad, backs up before the I10 exit for a bit then once you hit I10 it backs up again after Westgreen all the way to the Belt. Once you get on the Belt I think you'll be good.

Westpark and I10 will be your two main options for the neighborhoods you listed, IMO I10 is better, and if you can carpool it'll be 10x better. Even with no traffic, it takes a good 25 mins to get to 249/Beltway from Katy so factor in traffic will take you 45-50 mins I would guesstimate. I make that drive often visiting family.

On your commute home I would actually recommend staying on the Beltway to Westpark Toll. You won't have to deal with the I10 back up and the entrance ramp to get onto Grand Parkway is horrible. Not to mention all the exits southbound on the GP are waaaay backed up. Westpark Toll is pretty clear after the Belt till Grand parkway. Keep in mind, sometimes it takes 5-15 mins just to get out or into your neighborhood so where you're house is located within the neighborhood is important too.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:44 PM

135 posts, read 179,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigertiger11 View Post
We are looking for a house to buy in Katy (South of I-10), but was wondering how the commute looks like from Katy to HWY249 near Beltway 8 because that is where our work is at. We would like to know if different areas in South Katy would make any significant difference in commute time. How are Cinco Ranch, Cinco Ranch Southwest, Cinco Ranch Northwest, Grand lakes, Seven Meadows compared in terms of commute time to HWY 249 near Beltway 8? Any other suggestions in good communities?

We are looking for newer home (prefer homes within 10 years old, price range less than 500K) and we have a three years old. Any input would be highly appreciated.
From the intersection of I-10 and Beltway 8, you can expect about a 20-minute drive to the 249/8 intersection (you are generally going against traffic at commuter hour and will probably average 60+ MPH). Getting from Katy to Beltway 8 will probably take another 20 minutes, in the best case scenario.

Good luck.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:28 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,298,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Treehorn View Post
From the intersection of I-10 and Beltway 8, you can expect about a 20-minute drive to the 249/8 intersection (you are generally going against traffic at commuter hour and will probably average 60+ MPH). Getting from Katy to Beltway 8 will probably take another 20 minutes, in the best case scenario.

Good luck.
Yes good suggestion. It looks like OP has already made up their mind for South Katy. Given other options is like trying to market Sams cola to Diet coke drinker (I don't like either btw )

Old 08-12-2014, 05:08 PM

6 posts, read 10,117 times
Thanks for all your comments on the the traffic on I-10 and Grand Parkway. Does anyone know about the traffic on the 1463 when compared to Grand Parkway? The newest development of cinco ranch is just east of 1463.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:45 PM

8 posts, read 10,508 times
there's always bad traffic at i-10 and dairy ashford imo (going eastbound)

Old 08-13-2014, 02:01 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,991,946 times
OP you may as well just pick a place and move in. Straight up honesty, you're screwed either way because when we tell you traffic is bad we're not trying to lure you away from the heavenly place Katy is but save you some grief.

It's real bad. We don't lie. For some reason you're hooked on Katy so because of that you shouldn't ever be one to complain about traffic because you're doing it to yourself. Not trying to be harsh but it is what it is.

You wanna live in Cinco Ranch? Cool. Enjoy the parking lot that is I-10. It takes a few years go get to the beltway so get some audio books, lots of money for gas and enjoy

Welcome to Houston you fit right in. We're all hardheaded.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:09 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,390,617 times
I just put in two random addresses from the two areas and it says 53 minutes right now. That sounds fairly accurate, although I don't know if there were any wrecks on I 10 this morning.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:26 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,991,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
I just put in two random addresses from the two areas and it says 53 minutes right now. That sounds fairly accurate, although I don't know if there were any wrecks on I 10 this morning.
Or stalled cars and rubbernecking. Or police at intervals so people go 15mph . Probably 53 minutes on a good day AND school hasn't started yet so add what 20-20 minutes to that in 2 weeks

Old 08-13-2014, 09:40 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,298,228 times
The only option to avoid traffic on I-10 in rush hour is to car pool. Otherwise you will be stuck. Don't expect much from West park either once the school opens. Until the grand pkwy extension to 249 is finished there is a back road that I used to take before 290 right after the outlet mall which took me to 249 without traffic but it is slow and 2 lane road. Got tired of it after 3 months of drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston