Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 10:26 AM

3 posts, read 6,272 times

Advertisements

I am surprised but I am not finding much information on the Fairbanks/Northwest Crossing area of Houston. I am looking at purchasing a home that is just off 290 and Pinemont so it sandwhiched between Oak Forest and Fairbanks. I know a good deal about Oak Forest (although I would welcome your feedback on that) but I don't know much about the Fairbanks area. Any feedback is appreciated.

Background: Young couple, looking at starting a family in next few years, but still wanting to be close to the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 10:30 AM

43 posts, read 85,856 times
I think one of the reasons is the close proximity to the Acres Homes areas, and other run down areas around it. Truth be told a lot of the neighborhoods along 290 down that stretch are relatively quiet and safe, but they're older, smaller homes which people usually insinuate to mean ghetto in new-age sunbelt cities where new on the outside means new on the inside, and the fact that it isn't too far of a drive from some bad 'hoods. This is of course referring more to neighborhoods east of 290; it's even more quiet west of it.

Old 08-13-2014, 02:12 PM

2,188 posts, read 3,218,368 times
you may have to narrow it down as that contains everywhere from 610 to the beltway.....there are tons of options...you do better citing streets

Old 08-13-2014, 04:38 PM

Its very close to the intersection of Pinemont and 290 (to the east of 290) near the new FBI building. That area.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:52 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,873,209 times
waterdamaged pretty much summed it up, but it is actually further away from Acres Homes than Garden Oaks/Oak Forest are. It is just all of the apartments along Antoine and along Tidwell that are not very good in the surrounding area, resulting in crime in that area. I'ts not the best part of town, but certainly not the worst either. I'm guessing it is in the newer neighborhood by the old park n ride? I know that place sold out pretty well, but I haven't been in it. I just saw all of the construction when my bus passed by it. Being right by the FBI building might be a plus!

Good luck!

Old 08-13-2014, 05:15 PM

I think its strange how there is so much nice development (shopping and dining) around 290 (target, old navy, pappadeaux, Red Lobster) if it is a bad area?

Old 08-13-2014, 09:27 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,857,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcavazos View Post
I think its strange how there is so much nice development (shopping and dining) around 290 (target, old navy, pappadeaux, Red Lobster) if it is a bad area?
I think all that nice development serves Inwood Forest which is a nice community. The only thing I hate about that area is the awful apartment complexes. That area is plagued with them.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:25 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,054 times
I live near there west of Fairbanks and agree with the assessments above - generally they are quiet middle to working class neighborhoods. The apartments actually don't seem bad but I am thinking of the ones around Hollister/Tidwell, not Pinemont.

As I said we are a bit further west but we love the location and the area. Commuting to downtown on 290 is fine from inside the beltway and it's easy to get to areas of town north and west as well. For what it's worth, friends of ours recently built a home there (Northwest Crossing area) for grandma to be close to the kids in Oak Forest. They are ivy league-educated attorneys, commented to us what a surprisingly nice area it is for the price.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:46 AM

43 posts, read 85,856 times
I had no idea there were some newer, larger homes near where Pinemont dead ends just west of 290: [source].

Old 08-14-2014, 10:29 AM

2,052 posts, read 5,873,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcavazos View Post
I would not say it is a bad area at all, just not the greatest area. My wife grew up off 290 & Tidwell, so I kind of know the area. It has older, run down apartments and strip centers in the area that bring it down, along with the nicer shopping places and good areas. I'd certainly put it in the top half of areas in Houston, probably in the top 40% range as far as "good areas", if not higher. Not a place where I would really be concerned for our safety, but we are careful anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: