Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 09:09 AM
bu2

24,106 posts, read 14,885,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
I read Business Insider for the comics like i read the new york post.

The writers get paid for articles pumped out per day, so copy and paste from anywhere they found is standard issue for the website.

Anyway, as much as this is home for me, I do think we are headed to some sort of mini correction.

Say what you want about how diversified this city is, but it is almost a fact one or both of your neighbors is working in O&G so how diversify is it really?

I understand the land scarcity and price appreciation inside the loop and memorial area. But the insane prices paid in outer Katy, Sugar Land, and Woodlands is just crazy. I just don't think those kind of price increases are justify.

Look at the chart in the article. Houston's prices are still well below the national average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 11:12 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,726,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Look at the chart in the article. Houston's prices are still well below the national average.
There's no way Houston's housing prices are below national average. They are below the metro areas of NYC, San Francisco, LA, Boston and maybe a few other places. They are not below national average.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:05 PM

725 posts, read 1,240,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
There's no way Houston's housing prices are below national average. They are below the metro areas of NYC, San Francisco, LA, Boston and maybe a few other places. They are not below national average.
Actually....

National Median Home Price 2013 -$197,100 (December Existing-Home Sales Rise, 2013 Strongest in Seven Years | realtor.org)

Houston Median Home Price 2013 (from HAR) - $184,900 (Median home price hits all-time high - Prime Property)

Both national prices and Houston prices have risen significantly since 2012. According to the realtor.com article above and the HAR 2012 full year report (Houston Real Estate Market) 2012 National Median Home Price was $176,800 and Houston's was $172,500.

So at the end of the day, national home values have risen faster than have Houston's year-over-year.

Of course the mean (average) prices are certainly higher in both cases, but that's a meaningless figure with which to to compare a metro area with the entire country.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:06 PM

129 posts, read 234,606 times
Yeah, but what's the median home price in Houston if you only count the neighborhoods where people actually WANT to live? That median home price of $184,900 is counting places like South Park and Acres Homes. I'd like to see what the median home price is if they filter out the homes in high-crime areas. Highly doubt it would be anywhere close to the national median after that...

Old 08-18-2014, 02:19 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Also, the national average is going to reflect the rebound in markets where the housing crash depressed prices, which Houston avoided (if not every element of the resulting economic downturn). Florida, Arizona, California etc. are on the way back up. Fact remains the bar of entry into the Houston housing market has been raised significantly in the past few years.

It's not very useful to take snapshots of statistics and try to predict future results. Everything deviates back to the norm.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:00 AM

131 posts, read 153,764 times
We are the best city because sugar land is apart of houston

Old 08-19-2014, 09:38 AM

129 posts, read 234,606 times
Do you mean "a part" or do you mean "apart"? Because that distinction can drastically change the meaning of your statement.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:11 AM
bu2

24,106 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmILost View Post
Yeah, but what's the median home price in Houston if you only count the neighborhoods where people actually WANT to live? That median home price of $184,900 is counting places like South Park and Acres Homes. I'd like to see what the median home price is if they filter out the homes in high-crime areas. Highly doubt it would be anywhere close to the national median after that...
So we are the only place with homes in less desirable areas?

Old 08-19-2014, 12:56 PM

509 posts, read 735,536 times
Anybody who thinks Austin is the "best" city in Texas has a totally different set of criteria than I do. I care about low cost of living, high wages, booming economy, and good schools. DFW has better schools (or at least more good schools), but otherwise Houston smokes the other large cities in Texas.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:02 PM

131 posts, read 153,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmILost View Post
Do you mean "a part" or do you mean "apart"? Because that distinction can drastically change the meaning of your statement.
I meant " a part"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston