Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 09:20 AM

270 posts, read 406,013 times

Advertisements

If you are thinking of a landmark supertall tower that's known outside of Houston, those really do not get built anymore in the United States and have not since the 80's.

Once upon a time wealthy corporations and individuals erected these enormous signature towers as monuments to themselves. For the most part that's fallen out of favor in North America, which is why the Sears Tower is now the Willis Tower, there is no One Apple Place supertall in downtown San Francisco, and Exxon is building a corporate campus north of town to replace the signature tower Humble oil put up in the 60's.

The only recent exceptions I can think of are One World Trade in New York (replacing another signature project) and the Trump International in Chicago (monument to Trump and important to his branding). You need some unique circumstance to cause one of those buildings to get built beyond a strong economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 09:25 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Pennzoil not well known??????

Its the most distinctive building(s) in Houston and quite well known. Its one of the few buildings you can name and everyone knows what it is (part of that is that the rest have changed names so many times).
I understand what they mean about it not being well-known. It isn't as tall as the newer surrounding towers so it doesn't dominate the skyline. I have to admit though, I have never noticed the Bank of America building and I wouldn't necessarily "know" the Houston skyline myself but for the tell-tale black angles of the Pennzoil building. That's how I recognize it's Houston. I think it is well-known to long-time Houstonians and architecture buffs.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:50 AM

43 posts, read 85,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Pennzoil not well known??????

Its the most distinctive building(s) in Houston and quite well known. Its one of the few buildings you can name and everyone knows what it is (part of that is that the rest have changed names so many times).
I know a sample size of one means absolutely nothing, but I had to look it up today.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:55 AM

5,614 posts, read 4,941,546 times
If by "iconic" you mean "supertall", it almost never makes economic sense to do those anymore in the U.S. Anymore, it smacks of egotism and insecurity, brashness and silly statement-making - think of Dubai and Saudi cities. Not to say that such structures aren't interesting, but without more substance in the city to back them up, they can have a limited or even negative effect - why is so much money being spent to create a fancy super tower when the rest of the city sucks?

Having a series of moderate height buildings set against a great public space can be just as effective, and more meaningful from a personal experience level. Think of the wall of buildings surrounding Central Park in Manhattan or along Michigan Avenue in Chicago across from Grant and Millennium parks - extremely effective advertisements for those cities.

Old 08-20-2014, 10:33 AM

2,052 posts, read 5,873,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
I understand what they mean about it not being well-known. It isn't as tall as the newer surrounding towers so it doesn't dominate the skyline. I have to admit though, I have never noticed the Bank of America building and I wouldn't necessarily "know" the Houston skyline myself but for the tell-tale black angles of the Pennzoil building. That's how I recognize it's Houston. I think it is well-known to long-time Houstonians and architecture buffs.
This, exactly! When the Pennzoil building is included in the Houston skyline, I immediately know it is Houston. It is a very unusual building. I really did not like it when they built the BOA building in front of it, blocking most of it in many skyline views.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:43 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
International Tower? It's still getting built?

Old 08-20-2014, 12:11 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
International Tower? It's still getting built?
It's just proposed at the moment and the 3rd of the Exxon buildings is on hold.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:14 PM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
For all the prosperity that this city claims to have, Houston still doesn't have an iconic tower that distinguishes it from every other city. Will we ever have one?
... I actually just caught this.

That's a lie.

Old 08-20-2014, 03:07 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,941,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
... I actually just caught this.

That's a lie.
True, the Williams (formerly Transco) Tower has been a distinguishing landmark of Houston since 1984. No other tower like it in a non-CBD location in the U.S. Plus the nighttime beacon.

Old 08-20-2014, 03:22 PM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
True, the Williams (formerly Transco) Tower has been a distinguishing landmark of Houston since 1984. No other tower like it in a non-CBD location in the U.S. Plus the nighttime beacon.
There's also the BoA Plaza and Heritage Tower. Both of those were even features in SimCity games, for crying out loud...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston