Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 10:29 AM

91 posts, read 160,455 times

Advertisements

ISO: We are a family of 4 needing guidance on where to focus our 'next home' search, with max 25 minute commute and good schools. (The spouse is planning a move to an office on Post Oak/Galleria area.) // A longer commute via Park & Ride will also be considered if such is even available to the Post Oak/Galleria area (which we've not yet been able to find).

CURRENTLY: We are currently homeowners in the Clear Lake area = LOOOONNNGGG roundtrip commute for him (70+ miles). His current job commute is 15 minutes. Down here we have a great school district (CCISD) and easy access to most of our daily needs. Our 2 children are both elementary aged and take a short school bus ride to school daily.

OUR HOUSING BUDGET: $300-$400k. Minimum 3 bedroom, 2 bath. Prefer single family home, unless there are townhome options that cater to families and have play areas/pool.

WISH LIST: Quality public schools, school bus service, access to outdoor bike trails/nature, family-oriented neighborhoods, recreation/gym facilities nearby, easy access to Energy Corridor, 30 minute or less commute into very center of Houston (where we have family), 25 minute or less early morning commute for the spouse

Is our Wish List a pipe dream or do-able? Can you savvy West-siders advise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 11:02 AM

98 posts, read 204,264 times
Sugar Land has all you are wanting. I bought a house in Greatwood for 340K, 4 bedroom, 3000 sq ft, pool, etc. It takes me on average 25 minutes to commute to Greenway Plaza in the morning, I assume galleria would be the same. There is also a park and ride to the Galleria, not sure if it is convenient to the husband's new job though.

Fort Bend County, TX : Commuter Park and Ride Services

I am zoned to exemplary elementary, middle and high school, trails galore also.

We have been really happy with our decision to move out here so far. We moved from the Heights.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:28 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,770,288 times
I will second Sugar Land for what you are looking for. The Fort Bend express should drop off right in the post oak area. Stay closer to 59 for quicker access and commutes.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:10 PM

Thank you so much for the FAST replies! We were wondering about Sugar Land, but thought it might still be too far. Thanks for the guidance on this, especially as one of you was coming from the Heights. Also, I'll research the FB Express!

A follow up question:
How would you characterize the global diversity in SL? One thing we are seeking to change about our life down here is to be in more of an internationally-populated neighborhood (with folks who've moved here from around the world). I have read here on the forum that closer toward the Loop/Beltway this is easier to find.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:18 PM

344 posts, read 1,250,858 times
Fort Bend County is incredibly diverse, especially Sugar Land

Old 08-26-2014, 12:20 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,662,905 times
My husband works on Post Oak in the Galleria area, and we live in Sugar Land. Our neighborhood is extremely diverse. My husband drives to work, but one of his coworkers lives in Telfiair and drops his car off at the park and ride and rides a bus into work each day. We love it here!

Old 08-26-2014, 12:23 PM

7,542 posts, read 11,574,791 times
Westbury Maple Willowbend all really close and fit your buget another place I suggest which is under your budget is Meadows Place which is right next to Sugarland

Old 08-26-2014, 01:17 PM

98 posts, read 204,264 times
Here was our conundrum. As you saw, we came from the Heights area, we were renting a townhouse and felt cramped. We wanted a yard for the dogs. Also, at the time I was pregnant and started thinking about where I could live that would offer my child the best of everything.

Our first thought was stay in town because we really considered ourselves city people, but we decided that we didn't want to spend over 400K on a house. That reeeeallly limited where we could be. We looked in the Heights, Oak Forest/Garden Oaks, Meyerland, Maplewood, Willowbend, Westbury. When we were looking, the houses we could afford all either had something wrong with them, were zoned to bad schools, were next to really shady apartments, on a busy street, etc. Something was off for each one. And there were few and far between in that budget.

So we said, ok, what could we sacrifice? I didn't want to chance the magnet lottery and I want my kids to be able to play outside without cars speeding down the road. So we sacrificed a little on distance and character to give our kids what we thought would be the best.

Now we have a nice house with a pool, there are decent restaurants out here, but we definitely like to come into town for things too. So far we are really happy.

I guess you can just see in reality what you can afford and what's available and make that decision once you see what the options are

Old 08-26-2014, 01:35 PM

aimeenp - We can completely RELATE to all that you say, and you have nailed some of my fears with those areas. We currently live in a really nice house on a cul de sac, all within a community-focused HOA/neighborhood. We KNOW our neighbors and watch out for each other. So, we will give Sugar Land a strong look to see how it can fit our next set of goals. We were hoping to live closer in...but, I have a nagging suspicion that we will follow a similar decision pathway to yours.

Forum - Still open to other options if anyone has alternatives to share! Spring Branch (north of I-10) could possibly be another area for us as an elderly family member may be giving up their home some time in the next 3 to 12 months (which would be a scrape/rebuild at this point). But, we are not sure about the area or if it would meet other family goals.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:42 PM

DJboutit - Are "Westbury Maple Willowbend" all in "Houston". I was a little confused on these when I did a search on HAR.com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston