Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 08:49 PM

68 posts, read 126,824 times

Advertisements

I AM BACKED AGAINST A WALL!! CRAB GRASS IS AN EYE SORE AND ITS TAKING OVER MY LAWN!
I HAD ATTEMPTED TO PULL THE WEEDS IN AN EFFORT TO REMOVE THE DAMN THINGS FROM DROPPING MORE SEEDS BUT THEY COME BACK MORE PLENTIFUL!!!!

HEEEELLLPPPPP!!

ANYONE HAVE ANY ADVICE ON THIS? HAVE PRIOR EXPERIENCE WITH THE EVILS OF CRAB GRASS??? SHOULD I HIRE A PROFESSIONAL OF SOME SORT? I'LL TAKE ANY AND ALL SUGGESTIONS AND REFERENCES AT THIS POINT!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 10:15 PM

392 posts, read 748,578 times
What kind of grass do you have? I have St. Augustine and have the same problem.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:54 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,188,330 times
Default Re-sod?

I hate those weeds just as much as anyone, and if my lawn consisted mostly of it (i.e., looks green because of weeds), I'd kill it, till it, and re-sod it... with zoysia.

Here is the rub... that would be a lot of work, but the reason any lawn gets like that is because of lack of work on it. Deferred maintenance is always costly, on any subject matter. Lawns get crappy like that because people do not take care of their lawns to begin with. It's not unlike driving a car, you cannot just drive, gas up, drive, gas up, etc. Our lives are just too busy these days, work, kids activities, and the oppressive heat and humidity all contribute to this. You are not alone.

At least you want to do something about it, most people who's lawn is nothing but weeds will probably leave it like that.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:31 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,474,306 times
Crab grass will die off in winter, then you want to put down crab grass preventer to keep it from germinating next season. I had a problem with it last year and put some down this past January and haven't seen any pop up yet. Seemed to have worked for me.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:18 PM

68 posts, read 126,824 times
im sure i have st augustine.

i did a weed n feed just as the weather was turning around n probably should hv done the crab grass preventer first...damn! so am i stuck w crabgrass til winter AGAIN???! the damned things r really annoying me.

i bought my home about a yr ago and the prior owners' went into foreclosure. the lawn was def not taken care of and ive met some attempts to bring back some curb appeal but the crabgrass is detroying that popping up all over the place. ugh!

Old 05-22-2014, 12:23 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,014,209 times
Crab grass is easy to pull. Take a weekend and pull it all out. St augustine is strong enough to cover over and kill crab grass. Its always taken care of any and all weeds i get in my lawn

If the lawn looks like junk consider resodding?

Old 05-22-2014, 03:52 PM

392 posts, read 748,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
Crab grass will die off in winter, then you want to put down crab grass preventer to keep it from germinating next season. I had a problem with it last year and put some down this past January and haven't seen any pop up yet. Seemed to have worked for me.

I used the preventer in late February but still got lots of it. Was that too late?

Old 05-23-2014, 07:24 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,474,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY to LA View Post
I used the preventer in late February but still got lots of it. Was that too late?
Might have been too late if it had already started germinating by then. I think I actually did two treatments in my back yard this time around, one in November and one in January. There are some chemicals that will treat mature crabgrass but I haven't seen it at any stores. May have to hire a professional to treat it.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:46 AM

382 posts, read 623,998 times
I'm now seeing grass that grows taller / faster than all the rest. They are showing up here and there across the lawn. They grow in single, dual, or triple sprigs / leaves.

I don't know the lawn grass, but I'm guessing it is Bahia, or Zoysia as the leaf is thin, it grows straight, and is light green (after checking these two links):
Texaslawns.com - Lawn in the state of Texas
What Type of Grass do I Have? - My Gardening Info

The problem grass has a slightly thicker leaf, grows straight, and is also light green (a bit lighter than the lawn itself).

If it is crabgrass, any idea which type?

I looked at the following link to identify it specifically, but cannot tell if any one specifically is the problem...
Crabgrass by Any Other Name: Control of Grass Weeds

How does one deal with it, aside from digging every last one up. Might be different based on type, I imagine.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:58 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,998,292 times
Are you sure it's crabgrass and not nutsedge? Nutsedge is even worse because it can grow several inches tall in the span of a week making it look like you never mow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: