Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 03:50 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,867,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgemichael View Post
FourFiftyFour answered basically what I would have said.

and just because someone has not experienced lots of crime does not mean it isn't there. the PPD would disagree with the comment about it not being true.

I myself visit Pearland regularly and grew up there. I have friends that lived in Silverlake. Silverlake looks and appears very nice and at one time it was one of the "ritzy" parts of Pearland. today it may still have some sparkle but it just isn't the same place.

check the news, check the Pearland Journal, check other sources. I would more be suspect of someone that lives in Silverlake as not being objective myself.

all of that being said you could choose to live there and not experience any crime at all yourself.
Could you post some crime stats that prove this because I never thought of Silverlake as being dangerous and full of crime. I have never felt unsafe the times I have been there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 05:19 PM

200 posts, read 295,284 times
crime stats? this site itself has those. you can google other sites. and I apologies but I am not going to dig out Pearland Journals that list the police reports and scan and post them. nor will I quote the PPD's officer who has informed myself and other people of just such things.

I am not saying each and every single person who lives there and walks around there is going to get mugged or meet some street bandit. I am just providing information I have come across for further objectivity.

I've been to New Orleans when it WAS the murder capital of the world (or was it the country?) and I didn't "feel unsafe". that didn't make it not the murder capital.

besides I can't post other crime sites. I've already been edited for that. let me also clarify that I more so am including that side of Pearland closer to 288 as a whole right where Silverlake sits. not Silverlake by its lonesome self. if that wasn't clear my apologies.

Old 09-24-2014, 05:32 PM

31 posts, read 39,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carblover234 View Post
Hows the shadow creek ranch area?
Be aware of the Landfill next to SCR

Old 09-24-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:
crime stats? this site itself has those. you can google other sites. and I apologies but I am not going to dig out Pearland Journals that list the police reports and scan and post them. nor will I quote the PPD's officer who has informed myself and other people of just such things.

I am not saying each and every single person who lives there and walks around there is going to get mugged or meet some street bandit. I am just providing information I have come across for further objectivity.

I've been to New Orleans when it WAS the murder capital of the world (or was it the country?) and I didn't "feel unsafe". that didn't make it not the murder capital.

besides I can't post other crime sites. I've already been edited for that. let me also clarify that I more so am including that side of Pearland closer to 288 as a whole right where Silverlake sits. not Silverlake by its lonesome self. if that wasn't clear my apologies.
Why wouldn't you quote the officer? It's not like you are giving his name or badge number out and even then, I would hope he didn't say anything too negative about the people he should be protecting. Pearland does not compare to New Orleans. I don't know how you could say that about New Orleans but then say you felt unsafe in Pearland. It just doesn't make sense, unless you spent your entire time in the French Quarter or Downtown, or the suburbs.

Old 09-24-2014, 06:59 PM

then I am just randomly saying something I could be making up with no validation. basically what it amounts to now but again I was just letting it be known I was told such. the basics by an officer is that that side of town has more calls and crime. believe it or not. again, just what was said by one officer. I am sure officers might have differing opinions also so take from it what you want.

as for Pearland I never said I felt unsafe in Pearland. that is putting words in my mouth. I grew up in Pearland. and how I could say what about New Orleans? that was an actual known fact. according to an internet search it lost it's title in 2013 (quick search - didn't verify it but it sure auto fills in the title for new orleans still to the present day)

Old 09-24-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
then I am just randomly saying something I could be making up with no validation. basically what it amounts to now but again I was just letting it be known I was told such. the basics by an officer is that that side of town has more calls and crime. believe it or not. again, just what was said by one officer. I am sure officers might have differing opinions also so take from it what you want.

as for Pearland I never said I felt unsafe in Pearland. that is putting words in my mouth. I grew up in Pearland. and how I could say what about New Orleans? that was an actual known fact. according to an internet search it lost it's title in 2013 (quick search - didn't verify it but it sure auto fills in the title for new orleans still to the present day)
Well you said you didn't feel unsafe in New Orleans, which was a direct response to me saying that I never felt unsafe in Pearland's Silverlake area. I think it is well known that New Orleans use to be the murder capital. That side of Pearland may have more calls and crime, but it also has more people and until very recently, most of Pearland's retail. I honestly don't think you could go wrong with either side and I see it more as a "New Pearland" vs "Old Pearland" thing.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:25 PM

then it's still a fact - more people - more crime as you said.

apologies for the misunderstanding. I just meant I didn't feel unsafe there so why would someone feel unsafe in Pearland?

I agree with the new vs old also but I would say the middle of Pearland has plenty of retail also just not no Best Buy's or Target's of course. But you're close enough to the one on the beltway (Target) and the Best Buys in Pasadena or Webster.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:19 PM

65 posts, read 114,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryang11gs View Post
Be aware of the Landfill next to SCR
Live in SCR and never smelled it. There's a lot of locations in Houston that have something less than desirable near it. All things considered, the landfill is pretty innocuous. Living right by train tracks in college and driving past the water treatment plant on Braeswood during my commute bother me more than the landfill ever has.

Of course the West side of Pearland has more crime than the East side of Pearland. 288 dissects the West side. There's usually more crime by a highway. I don't see how it's different than anywhere else in the Houston area or any other large city.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:01 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,467,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentrywoods View Post
I would not recommend you listening to anyone who lived "not too far" for a few months. I have lived in Silverlake for over 10 years now and it is a wonderful place to live. My kids attend Silverlake elementary which is an excellent school. I'm involved in youth sports in the area and have met many great families along the way. Lots of crime in Silverlake is simply just not true. I think Silverlake along with many other neighborhoods in Pearland are great places to call home.
That's what I thought. It's a shame that people get on message boards with these bogus statements about places they have never lived.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:29 AM

234 posts, read 288,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDA View Post
They are building all sorts of stuff by the HEB. Probably no needs to go across town soon.
Hey, that's me!

Insert shameless plug for the new business I am starting here -->

https://www.facebook.com/sjcpearland

I actually did posted a few weeks back the list of stores coming into The Center at Pearland Parkway... Per what the landlord told me a month ago or so...

Salons By JC
Ross Dress for Less
TJ Maxx
Palais Royal
Rack Room Shoes
Petco
Five Below
Rue 21
America's Best Contact
Payless Shoes
MOD Pizza
Massage Envy
Mattress Firm
Menchies Yogurt
Sprint
European Wax Center
Chipotle
Deca Dental
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston