Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 12:04 PM

200 posts, read 297,081 times

Advertisements

ha! that's my neck of Pearland! now I'm gonna be looking for that salon just so I know I've seen it.

a buddy of mine I grew up with in Pearland actually does what you do also, just he decided to do it in Minnesota after trying lots and lots of other states/places.

I thought there was a Petco (I could be remembering Petco wrong) and Palais Royal already in the center of town in the Kroger shopping center? or they are going to move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 03:34 PM

234 posts, read 292,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgemichael View Post
ha! that's my neck of Pearland! now I'm gonna be looking for that salon just so I know I've seen it.

a buddy of mine I grew up with in Pearland actually does what you do also, just he decided to do it in Minnesota after trying lots and lots of other states/places.

I thought there was a Petco (I could be remembering Petco wrong) and Palais Royal already in the center of town in the Kroger shopping center? or they are going to move?
Yes, they are moving. I am not sure what happens to that Kroger center after they leave - could be dicey...

I think I heard the landlord say that someone is going to open in October. Might have heard him wrong, but it was soon. Might have been Petco, now that I think about it.

Old 09-27-2014, 06:27 AM

28 posts, read 64,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgemichael View Post
actually, if you live in Pearland and know any policemen there I would stay out of the Silverlake area myself.

cost-wise you might think it is nice and the homes themselves might be nice. but that's purely cosmetic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FourFiftyFour View Post
Me, myself, personally do not recommend the Silverlake area. It is horribly crowded, full of very bad drivers, lots of crime, and it seems to be just getting worse every year. I lived not too far from there for a few months, and have had several tell me about it being full of crime (they worked in that area) and that they ended up getting different jobs.

Yeah they are building a lot of things, yeah it looks nice, but theres a bit more to a cake than just its icing. I would really think twice before moving to that area.
I live in this area. I completely disagree with these statements. This is the typical Pearland-bashing we're used to seeing on thie forum for years. It would be nice to some actual data to back up this bashing. Instead, if you do the research, what you will find is that Silverlake has some of the best schools (2014 Greater Houston School Rankings | CHILDREN AT RISK), lowest crime (http://spotcrime.com/tx/pearland), and highest household incomes (//www.city-data.com/city/Pearland-Texas.html) in the Greater Houston Area.

To the OP, IMHO, Silverlake and Silvercrest areas are the best neighborhoods in Pearland. That's just my opinion. But the fact is that Silverlake and Silvercrest are suburban neighborhoods with their own unique pros and cons. There is no best neighborhood anywhere it's all about what you make of it.

Old 09-27-2014, 06:40 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,994,493 times
I grew up in pearland and personally wouldn't live anywhere along 288. I also had a police officer suggest that I not shop in the 288/518 area. I think a lot of the crime has to do with proximity to the freeway - easy on/off access creates more crimes of opportunity. There is more in that area than other areas.

Old 09-27-2014, 07:44 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,478,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
I grew up in pearland and personally wouldn't live anywhere along 288. I also had a police officer suggest that I not shop in the 288/518 area. I think a lot of the crime has to do with proximity to the freeway - easy on/off access creates more crimes of opportunity. There is more in that area than other areas.
I've shopped in the 288/518 area for years and had no problem. I have dozens of friends and family members who have had no issues as well. Crime happens everywhere. It doesn't matter where you live and Pearland, Sugar Land, the Woodlands areas for example, are no exception. You have to be vigilant wherever you are, in and around the city of Houston and it's suburbs...

Old 09-27-2014, 08:15 AM

65 posts, read 115,502 times
Quote:
If you grew up in Pearland, then I would venture a guess that it has changed since that time. I feel pretty safe shopping the the 288/518 area as well as living there. Considering that there's a Pearland police officer & family that LIVES in my section of SCR, which is near 518/288, I tend to think it's a pretty decent place. I guess I also don't understand the Pearland bashing or hate that goes on here. If you personally don't want to live somewhere, fine. But please recognize your personal feelings may be preventing you from making an objective assessment of the community as it is now.

Old 09-27-2014, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge Salizar View Post
I live in this area. I completely disagree with these statements. This is the typical Pearland-bashing we're used to seeing on thie forum for years. It would be nice to some actual data to back up this bashing. Instead, if you do the research, what you will find is that Silverlake has some of the best schools (2014 Greater Houston School Rankings | CHILDREN AT RISK), lowest crime (http://spotcrime.com/tx/pearland), and highest household incomes (//www.city-data.com/city/Pearland-Texas.html) in the Greater Houston Area.

To the OP, IMHO, Silverlake and Silvercrest areas are the best neighborhoods in Pearland. That's just my opinion. But the fact is that Silverlake and Silvercrest are suburban neighborhoods with their own unique pros and cons. There is no best neighborhood anywhere it's all about what you make of it.
uh Yac? where's the edit? no competing crime sites and all. (guess it's not necessary since the link doesn't seem to work)

anyways, bash Pearland? uh I grew up there! one I like Pearland, and two I won't talk up something that shouldn't be even if I did grow up there. all that being said I happen to like Pearland (did I mention I like Pearland?) even if some of the cops were d-bags when I was growing up. I still have family there. dozens? no.

Quote:
kudos and +1 for texas7. I see I wasn't the only one to get that particular info from a PPD officer (I suppose it could be the same officer). maybe the PPD has it out for the 288/518 area? no clue but it seems to be common info. however that doesn't mean everyone that lives out there is going to witness crime or have contact with crimes. this has already been said if you read the thread as a whole instead of just the recent posts. it was decided the area is more densely populated therefore there will be more crime and also that it has close freeway access. maybe the averages are similar. that I don't know. one thing I know is that nearly everyone I knew growing up that lived on that side of town does not live there anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyinhouston View Post
I've shopped in the 288/518 area for years and had no problem. I have dozens of friends and family members who have had no issues as well. Crime happens everywhere. It doesn't matter where you live and Pearland, Sugar Land, the Woodlands areas for example, are no exception. You have to be vigilant wherever you are, in and around the city of Houston and it's suburbs...
one, you have one heck of a family size there in Pearland, two, you are quite correct about crime happening everywhere! so don't mistake my agreement with statements about the 288/518 area as meaning the middle of Pearland is rainbows and unicorns. crime happens there to. I know it does first hand.

Last edited by georgemichael; 09-27-2014 at 09:08 AM..

Old 09-27-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rycy View Post
If you grew up in Pearland, then I would venture a guess that it has changed since that time. I feel pretty safe shopping the the 288/518 area as well as living there. Considering that there's a Pearland police officer & family that LIVES in my section of SCR, which is near 518/288, I tend to think it's a pretty decent place. I guess I also don't understand the Pearland bashing or hate that goes on here. If you personally don't want to live somewhere, fine. But please recognize your personal feelings may be preventing you from making an objective assessment of the community as it is now.
yes, it has changed. it is way more crowded, more traffic than ever, more traffic lights, and you used to never see PPD that far out of town because nothing happened out there.

you used to be able to fly down 518. you used to be able to have fireworks battles and not blink an eye.

now, if you want to get into the middle of Pearland, I would never ever consider coming in through 518 unless I just had to because I was already in the mix for some reason.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:35 AM

480 posts, read 1,698,557 times
PPD has divided Pearland into 'Districts' that are used as geographical boundaries for patrolling. They are named 'A' through 'E' starting from east to west. You can search by district at the website below, to see how crime is spread around the city. If you look at this closely, like I have for years (I'm the NW Coordinator for my subdivision), you will see the west side (district 'D' and 'E') are not necessarily the areas of worst crime.

https://p2c.pearlandpd.com/Summary_Disclaimer.aspx

Also, I didn't see anyone point out above that most of Silverlake is not even in PPD's jurisdiction (maybe I missed reading that). Anyway, most of it is in the Sheriff's Dept. jurisdiction. So there isn't a lot of crime stats to find for it online.

Old 09-27-2014, 10:22 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,287,252 times
Green Tee Terrace has lots of older folks and a country club... they could join and participate in social activities there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston