Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 11:24 AM

3 posts, read 5,263 times

Advertisements

I have just relocated to Houston, TX and I rented an apartment that is close to where I work.
A few days ago my daughter and I moved into our apartment and IMMEDIATELY we started seeing roaches. The apartment was completely empty at the time and we could easily see the bugs crawling on the carpet, up the walls, in the dishwasher, in the kitchen & bathroom cabinets. Within the time span of an hour, we had killed approximately 20+ roaches, ranging from tiny to full adult size. Before the movers even moved my belongings inside the apartment, I went to the leasing office to notify them of the issue.
I was informed by the apartment's maintenance manager that they have a pest extermination contractor that comes out every two weeks to spray the tenant's units and that he sprays all empty apartments during his bi-weekly cycle. My apartment had been sprayed the week prior to my move in, so they would not return to spray again for another week. Also, the maintenance manager stated I had to stop using my personal bug repellent spray (Raid), because it cancels out the spray that the exterminator uses and that she would not categorize the bugs in my apartment as an infestation. So basically the end result was the leasing office telling me I have to live with these bugs and wait and see if their spraying system works to eradicate the bugs.
Can someone tell me what other resources are available to assist me as a renter? My daughter is too upset to even stay at the apartment and I cannot afford to break the lease and incur all the associated penalties. I want to know what constitutes an ‘infestation’ and who do I contact regarding this unsanitary and unhealthy living situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 11:32 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,807,332 times
20 roaches in an hour is an infestation. I would tell them I want out of my lease or I'm calling every news station in Houston.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:34 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,388,075 times
Use roach baits.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
20 roaches in an hour is an infestation. I would tell them I want out of my lease or I'm calling every news station in Houston.
Thank you TXDEMO, that is what I would like to happen, but I need to know what laws back me up so that I can get out of this year long lease without being sued and found liable for the balance of the rent.
Perhaps I will start contacting the news stations as well.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Use roach baits.
MEYERLAND, I used the foggers and still there are bugs. I asked the exterminator about the bait traps and he said they interfere with his spray and if I continue to spray, fog or put down traps, these things are considered interference on my part, contradicting the efforts by the apartment complex and release them from their responsibility in eliminating the pests.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:45 AM

280 posts, read 383,725 times
roach baits and Boric Acid.

I had a roach issue in my garage. Put down baits and put a line of boric acid where they were coming under the garage door. No more roaches.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:51 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,268,391 times
Default What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbllucas View Post
... he said they interfere with his spray and if I continue to spray, fog or put down traps, these things are considered interference on my part....
This is the most stupid thing I've heard from an exterminator; whomever the exterminator is, they don't know what they are talking about. One poison cancels out another? Does one beer cancel out other beers if I drink it?

Old 09-10-2014, 11:56 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,769,968 times
I think what they mean is that the foggers may cause the roaches to flee or hide. They then do not ingest or come in contact with the treatment the exterminator put down.

But if they are coming out every two weeks and there is still signs of infestation, it doesn't look like it is working anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
This is the most stupid thing I've heard from an exterminator; whomever the exterminator is, they don't know what they are talking about. One poison cancels out another? Does one beer cancel out other beers if I drink it?

Old 09-10-2014, 12:14 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,268,391 times
Default Neighbors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendersj31 View Post
I think what they mean is that the foggers may cause the roaches to flee or hide. They then do not ingest or come in contact with the treatment the exterminator put down.

But if they are coming out every two weeks and there is still signs of infestation, it doesn't look like it is working anyway.
I cringe at apartment living where things like this are "shared". Unless your neighbors also exterminate, you are fighting only the stragglers that get away from their "birth place", and crawl through the walls, and outlets into adjoining apartments. The breeding still happens elsewhere and it won't end. I'd move.

Old 09-10-2014, 12:21 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,807,332 times
Google german cockroaches. There's a light at the end of the tunnel. Unfortunately, it's a train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston