Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2014, 10:22 AM

156 posts, read 514,839 times

Advertisements

So I've noticed that every time I have to take 59 north in the afternoons (from Stafford), traffic always goes great until it seems to pile up at the same place each time. I'm wondering if anyone can clarify where this backup starts to occur. I think I remember passing an exit for upper Kirby where all was still good, and then the backup starts to happen a mile or so before 59 splits off to the right two lanes.

Reason I'm asking is I'm looking for a place in the loop, and traffic before that point was perfect, and then was stop and go from there. So I need to know if I'll be able to get where I need to go just fine, or if that'll be a major issue for me.

Sorry if I'm unclear.. don't know the roads real well yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 11:22 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,768,770 times
The traffic occurs right where 59 splits to Louisiana\527 to head downtown. It reduces in lanes and is backed up every single weekday at this spot. It is actually quite horrible to get from Weslayan to downtown for example.

Old 09-12-2014, 02:31 PM

785 posts, read 1,234,281 times
Between Kirby and Shepherd is typically where the congestion begins. If you live inside the loop, this won't be too much of a problem as there are other ways to get to downtown (like skipping 59 and using Allen Parkway instead). Always best to avoid the freeways during the morning and afternoon rush hours.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:33 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,493,463 times
Depends on the hour, but during evening rush, the traffic comes pretty much to a stop at Kirby. IF it's early afternoon, then maybe Shepherd. The # of lanes lessen but more importantly the road splits and too many people try to change lanes at last minute, holding up everyone behind them.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:31 PM

31 posts, read 32,693 times
My rule of thumb is stay off of the freeways during the mornings and evenings. As Houstonfan said, during evening rush, (4-7ish) 59nb is backed up all the way to Kirby. This is due to the horrific convergence of 288, 45, and 59 just south of Downtown. Traffic reaches apocalyptic proportions in that area, and is I suspect, a leading cause of high blood pressure among Houston drivers.

Your best bet is to learn as many alternate, non freeway routes to your destinations as possible, and listen closely to radio traffic accident broadcasts so you know which freeway to avoid thanks to whichever texting mental midget has decided to rear end someone on that particular day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston