Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 10:39 AM

66 posts, read 179,773 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am moving to the Houston area from Southern California. I am an accountant with 20 years experience with an AA Degree. I am actually from Northern California where a BA Degree was not a necessity; in fact I usually always got hired because of my experience. When I moved to Southern California, I struggled to find a job without the BA Degree. Almost 90% of employers required it, regardless of your experience. Does anyone know how it is in the Houston and surrounding cities area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 11:13 AM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
Well small places might not be sticklers but employers here can be very picky because they have an extremely large pool of prospects to choose from. The better paying jobs will hire the best they can get and that would mean taking the higher degreed applicant in most cases.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:14 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,522,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYeera View Post
Hello! I am moving to the Houston area from Southern California. I am an accountant with 20 years experience with an AA Degree. I am actually from Northern California where a BA Degree was not a necessity; in fact I usually always got hired because of my experience. When I moved to Southern California, I struggled to find a job without the BA Degree. Almost 90% of employers required it, regardless of your experience. Does anyone know how it is in the Houston and surrounding cities area?
There is a lot of accounting related work in the Houston area. For some jobs, an accounting degree and a CPA are absolutely required. For other jobs, they are not. Experience helps a lot. Contacts probably help even more. In fact, I expect it is the same in California on all of these points.

Good luck!

Old 09-19-2014, 06:51 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
that make outrageous demands because they can. remember how we hated unions and got rid of them?
welcome to employment at will.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:26 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,101,083 times
Yeah see other posts by 979 Texan. They usually have a sour grumpy tone. Kinda like disgruntled LA native on their forum lol.

To me, I think the experience would still be beneficial but it may not get you the top higher paying firms. But a job in accounting I'm sure you can find. Still jobs to be had with qualifications. Good luck.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:08 PM

693 posts, read 1,108,249 times
Thinking that an associate's degree means anything in a city that's bursting at the seams with cheaper talent is an attitude. Thinking that your experience in a different state entitles you to a job that has higher hiring requirements is an attitude. Whining about it in a public message forum is an attitude.

Hope that helps, folks. Have a pleasant Friday evening!

Old 09-19-2014, 08:49 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
Op asked legitimate question. Didn't see any attitude either. Yeah sometimes experience does entitle people to a better job and they may be highly qualified but employers may be sticklers for that piece of paper if they have enough choices.

Old 09-20-2014, 05:14 AM

1,151 posts, read 1,309,750 times
I'd say at least 70% of the time experience is more valued than the piece of paper alone. Combining the two is even better though.

Old 09-20-2014, 06:46 AM

1,416 posts, read 4,439,525 times
I'm a CPA in a high-level position. I have both degreed/CPA employees and non-degreed employees. In my experience, it is hard to find good replacements for the non-degreed because I need strong experience and professionalism, which honestly is a tough combination. With that said, from what I have seen over the years, the sheer number of positions that don't require a degree is far fewer than those requiring one, a trend that I don't see reversing.

So the good news is that if you have that combination of skills and professionalism, you will be in demand, but for a smaller pool of positions than even 5 years ago. So your best bet is to get with a recruiter (e.g., Robert Half) and see what's out there.

Good luck!

Old 09-20-2014, 10:00 AM

366 posts, read 797,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 979Texan View Post
Thinking that an associate's degree means anything in a city that's bursting at the seams with cheaper talent is an attitude. Thinking that your experience in a different state entitles you to a job that has higher hiring requirements is an attitude. Whining about it in a public message forum is an attitude.

Hope that helps, folks. Have a pleasant Friday evening!
Lol. Dude, you're reaching and justifying your sour attitude. OP wanted answers to a question, so if you consider that whining in public, I guess that applies to 95% of us. I didn't see any entitlement at all in that question. You have some kind of bias toward non-Texans. Pretty sure that's not how we are known as being the friendly state.

That being said, I'd hire a well experienced accountant with an AA than a rookie who just got his BA. Not worth making a potential million dollar rounding error to save a few thousand on salary costs. Ideally would be experienced with a BA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston