Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2014, 09:53 AM

25 posts, read 55,039 times

Advertisements

I should say this is one of the best forums i have ever participated in..very quick and honest answers to questions.

I have a question on a new home construction closing time. we are first time home buyers debating the advantages of closing on a new const. home in Dec 2014 vs Feb 2015 vs Apr 2015.
can anyone help me understand if there is a big financial incentive(by taxes or other means)in going with one time frame as opposed to the other?

thanks

GC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 11:04 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,191,612 times
If you have ownership as of 12/31/14 - you can claim the homestead exemption on property taxes for 2015, which ranges from an 8 - 20% cut (depends what county, city, MUD, school district, etc.). If you close after 12/31 - you can't claim until the following year.

Does that mean you should close by then? Not necessarily. Builders will sometimes give the best incentives for contracting near the end of the year. Depends on many factors.

Closing costs vary, depending on lender. Sometimes the best way to go is the builder's lender - sometimes not. Depends on incentives they give for using their lender AND how the interest rate and charges stack up against another lender. You have to look at the whole picture. There is no in-stone answer because of the various builders, their incentives, the different lenders, etc.

Old 09-20-2014, 03:16 PM

958 posts, read 2,572,994 times
You're not saving or spending a huge chunk of money more either scenario. What fits your family and situation the best tends to be the biggest factor.

Old 09-21-2014, 11:47 PM

200 posts, read 297,037 times
I would say there isn't a huge difference in the Dec.14 vs the April15 because of what cheryjohns said. however Feb.15 you won't get the homestead exemption and you'll practically pay the whole year worth of taxes.

also, I'd shop around on lenders and at least get some to compare to the builders lender before making a decision. that's going to make the biggest difference in savings in the long term if you plan to live in the house for a good while. otherwise that time frame is not very large and dependent on incentives as cheryjohns also said. ok, ok, I think I just repeated things. doh!

Old 09-22-2014, 08:09 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,730,475 times
The builders lender will usually try to ********* so its best to have a couple quotes in your pocket before you talk to them the same way you wouldn't walk into a car dealership and just use the dealer's financing with nothing to compare it to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston